Filters for dates other than the current date.

  • JohnZeman@operamail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
      Thanks Jody and J.E., between all of you here, you've answered my
      question about clip icons...

      And now I have another clip question here for all these fertile minds
      in this wonderful discussion group...

      Does anyone knows how to input a date, not the current date, and then
      to output that date into a document using a different format?

      For example, suppose I enter 04/16/2001 into an input field using a
      mask, and that I want to paste that date into a document as it would
      appear in a long format.. Which in this case would be Monday, April
      16, 2001..

      Any ideas?
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
        Hi John,

        >Does anyone know how to input a date, not the current date, and
        >then to output that date into a document using a different
        >format?
        >
        >For example, suppose I enter 04/16/2001 into an input field using
        >a mask, and that I want to paste that date into a document as it
        >would appear in a long format.. Which in this case would be
        >Monday, April 16, 2001..

        I'll pass on that one. <g> I could do the month and year easy
        enough, but day name as in Sun-Mon I don't even want to think
        about. Perhaps one of the programmers knows an easy way.

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
          Hi John,

          >Does anyone knows how to input a date, not the current date, and then
          >to output that date into a document using a different format?
          >
          >For example, suppose I enter 04/16/2001 into an input field using a
          >mask, and that I want to paste that date into a document as it would
          >appear in a long format.. Which in this case would be Monday, April
          >16, 2001..
          >
          >Any ideas?

          2 whole, separate ideas rolled off the plow. The 2nd would probably have a smaller "relational file". Perhaps someone knows an easier way than either of these 2.

          1. Make a "relational file" that's delimited with some sort of delimiter. 12 sections (labels) or 12 different files, one for ea month of 2001. When send your chosen input query to that file which, for example, finds your first (date) format to be residing at a certain label on line number 34 which has meaning, it means/equates to the text residing on output line number 134. On line number 134 just happens to reside the equivalent of line number 34 but it is in your 2nd (date) format. Output a copy of the new/replacement equivalent from line number 134.

          Or

          2. Have a different "relational file" than the above. This "relational file" would only have ea day of the month in your output style of date format; it would be delimited and have a unique, perhaps numbered, identifier for ea day. Need "# of days for ea month" (to adjust per ea month). Use Ntab function to get current date. Use Ntab calc (Ntab math function) gets difference. And the difference is in relation to today's date. The difference has meaning; it means go to today's unique identifier in the "relational file" but go to the difference. Do not go to today. For example: today minus 12 days when checked against the "# days per mo" ouputs the unique identifier number 22. Just happens to be that your desired output resides at unique identifier number 22.

          Regards. Alan.
        • JohnZeman@operamail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
            Thanks Jody and Alan. This tells me the primariy thing I was
            wondering about, that there is no simple solution to this date
            question of mine.. It's not a real problem for me, it's just that
            I'm so used to NoteTab being able to do just about anything, that
            when I do stumble across one of its limitations, I tend to think I'm
            missing something..

            Thanks again..
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
              Hi John,

              >Thanks Jody and Alan. This tells me the primariy thing I was
              >wondering about, that there is no simple solution to this date
              >question of mine. It's not a real problem for me, it's just
              >that I'm so used to NoteTab being able to do just about anything,
              >that when I do stumble across one of its limitations, I tend to
              >think I'm missing something.

              I know exactly what you mean. :) In fact, some of the time I
              might know of some software that is better suited for the job,
              some of which I might have installed already. I do it with
              NoteTab though just because I like the challenge. ;) I did not
              say it is impossible to do though and perhaps easy for a
              programmer.

              The only way I would know to do it would be to make a predefined
              array with 365 days in it containing Sunday-Saturday for each of
              the days. the other info you needed would not be a problem.
              Anyway, count me out for typing all that up. ;)

            • cchaltain@austin.rr.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
                I've always found date manipulation, especially in C and AWK, to be pretty
                tricky. Perl, however, has some slick date manipulation functions. It's
                been awhile, but I know I've done just what you want to do in a line or
                two of Perl. Since NoteTab has a Perl interface, maybe you could use that
                for your solution.

                It's been awhile since I've programmed in Perl, and I've never used the
                Perl interface in NoteTab, so I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of
                the subject. I hope this helps!

                Christopher

                Christopher J Chaltain
                cchaltain@...

                JohnZeman@...
                06/05/2001 05:59 PM
                Please respond to ntb-clips

                To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
                cc:
                Subject: Re: [Clip] Filters for dates other than the current date.

                Thanks Jody and Alan. This tells me the primariy thing I was
                wondering about, that there is no simple solution to this date
                question of mine.. It's not a real problem for me, it's just that
                I'm so used to NoteTab being able to do just about anything, that
                when I do stumble across one of its limitations, I tend to think I'm
                missing something..

                Thanks again..

              • Stephen Riddle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
                  Hi John
                  There's not a date Object in clip language. It would be simple case of
                  re-interpreting all the date data.
                  It would be a nice clip but if I did it rather long.
                  Stephen