Re: Clip Icons

  • JohnZeman@operamail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
      Thanks Jim and HRS..

      I didn't find the answer in that download Jim, but it was a good
      refresher course for me so I do appreciate it.. I'm inclined to
      agree with you HRS, I was just curious as to whether there was more
      to those icons than I was aware of..

      John

      --- In ntb-clips@y..., JohnZeman@o... wrote:
      > This is a very minor thing, but it's something that has been
      chewing
      > away at me for awhile now.. Does anyone know exactly what the clip
      > icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate
      > clip command, while the disk icon seems to indicate everything
      else..
      > Is it really that simple? Are there other icons? And can custom
      > icons be assigned to clips?
      >
      > Thanks..
      >
      > John
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        Hi John,

        A round dot versus a !

        What comes to mind for me is the clipbook window which displays clips that are in a clip library.

        A clip can be just a "clipping", something that was saved from the windows clipboard. ie it can be just text. If so, *a round dot shows*. And, on this type of clip, whenever the clip is launched, all you get is a "paste" action ie the text in the clip is pasted into your current document in NoteTab.

        But a clip may optionally have within it some of the scripting or "clip" language code. Or a clip may have a mix of just text, the first item, and clip language code, the second item.

        The ! shows whenever commands from clip language exists in that particular clip. This type of clip can make NoteTab perform repetetive operations. The clip language can do more than that.

        So, round dot is a passive sort of a clip which contains only text. And ! means the clip can do more because it contains command(s) from the clip language scripting code.

        So, it probably really is that simple. It appears I like to write :-)

        I've not known of ability to change those icons/characters, whatever they are.

        Alan.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          Hi Alan & John,

          You can also use a semi-colon in front of the Clipname and it
          will highlight the lip. When clicked on, it will open like an
          info box. It is a convenient place to add help, instructions,
          notes, etc. for different sections in the Library.

          If you add an underscore in front of the Clip the Clip name
          becomes dim and cannot be executed with a mouse (and probably
          with the keyboard- never tried it;). OnOpen, OnClipboardChange,
          OnClose, called clips, subroutines, etc. are places you might use
          it.

          >A round dot versus a !
          >
          >What comes to mind for me is the clipbook window which displays clips that are in a clip library.
          >
          >A clip can be just a "clipping", something that was saved from the windows clipboard. ie it can be just text. If so, *a round dot shows*. And, on this type of clip, whenever the clip is launched, all you get is a "paste" action ie the text in the clip is pasted into your current document in NoteTab.
          >
          >But a clip may optionally have within it some of the scripting or "clip" language code. Or a clip may have a mix of just text, the first item, and clip language code, the second item.
          >
          >The ! shows whenever commands from clip language exists in that particular clip. This type of clip can make NoteTab perform repetetive operations. The clip language can do more than that.
          >
          >So, round dot is a passive sort of a clip which contains only text. And ! means the clip can do more because it contains command(s) from the clip language scripting code.
          >
          >So, it probably really is that simple. It appears I like to write :-)
          >
          >I've not known of ability to change those icons/characters, whatever they are.
          >
          >Alan.
          >At 12:24 PM 6/4/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >>Thanks Jim and HRS..
          >>
          >>I didn't find the answer in that download Jim, but it was a good
          >>refresher course for me so I do appreciate it.. I'm inclined to
          >>agree with you HRS, I was just curious as to whether there was more
          >>to those icons than I was aware of..
          >>
          >>John
          >>

          >>--- In ntb-clips@y..., JohnZeman@o... wrote:
          >> > This is a very minor thing, but it's something that has been
          >>chewing
          >> > away at me for awhile now.. Does anyone know exactly what the clip
          >> > icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate
          >> > clip command, while the disk icon seems to indicate everything
          >>else..
          >> > Is it really that simple? Are there other icons? And can custom
          >> > icons be assigned to clips?
          >> >
          >> > Thanks..
          >> >
          >> > John

          http://www.notetab.net

          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • J.E.HALL
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            John,

            > Does anyone know exactly what the clip
            > icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate
            >a clip command,

            I thought perhaps this was what you were referring to:

            The "Exclamation Mark" Bullet Type of Clip:

            The "Executable" (Macro/Script) form of a "Clip" is denoted by an
            "Exclamation Mark" Bullet and when clicked on will Cause NoteTab to perform
            any or all of a multitude of functions which can be defined using the "Clip
            Programming Language" set of Commands. NoteTab Wizards are popup
            Information Getting Dialog/Selection Boxes which are used to get Variable
            Input/Definition from Keyboard/Mouse Input. Wizards are both defined and
            used by this type of Clip. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format
            when the Clip contains a line which begins with the two-letter Command Code
            "^!".

            The "Dot" Bullet Type of Clip:

            The "Insert Text Segment" (Rubber Stamp) form of a "Clip" is denoted by the
            "Dot" Bullet and when clicked on will cause NoteTab to directly insert a
            predefined text string into the document currently open in the Editing
            Window at the current cursor position. Repetitive Text can be typed once
            and pasted many times (like using a rubber stamp).

            The "Plus Sign" Bullet Type of Clip:

            The "Insert Text Segment and Position Cursor" (HTML Comment Formatting)
            form of a "Clip" is denoted by the "Plus Sign" Bullet and when clicked on
            will Cause NoteTab to either directly insert a predefined text string into
            the document currently open in the Editing Window at the current cursor
            position and then reposition the cursor for adding additional text, or Wrap
            the predefined text around text which has been selected, or open a Wizard
            Box in which the additional text can be specified and then insert the
            predefined text and the additional text into the document currently open in
            the Editing Window at the current cursor position. NoteTab Wizards are
            popup Information Getting Dialog/Selection Boxes which are used to get
            Variable Input/Definition from Keyboard/Mouse Input. Wizards are both
            defined and used by this type of Clip. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of
            this format when the Clip contains a line which contains the two-letter
            Command Code "^&" and has no lines beginning with the two-letter Command
            Code "^!".

            Grayed Out Type of Clip:

            The "Disabled" (Can allow Conditional Execution by NoteTab) form of a
            "Clip" is denoted by being Grayed Out and when clicked on causes NoteTab to
            do nothing. NoteTab may independently execute this form of Clip if a
            predefined set of conditions are met or if an expected event occurs.
            NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip Header is
            preceded by an Underscore.

            Highlighted in the Header Color Type of Clip:

            The "ClipBook Header" (Informational Note) form of a "Clip" is denoted by
            being Highlighted in the Header Color, set in OPTIONS|CLIPBOOK TAB (Default
            = Red} and when clicked on they can cause NoteTab to open up an Information
            Note Box in the Editing Window if The Clip is formatted to do so. If not
            formatted to do so then NoteTab does nothing when they are selected and
            they simply serve as Clipbook Comments, Organizational Headings/Separators,
            or if no text is specified they simply serve as a blank line in the Editor
            Clipbook window display. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format
            when the Clip Header is preceded by a Semicolon.

            Regards,

            Jim