Re: [Clip] Clip Icons

  • J.E.HALL
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2001
      John,
      At 12:50 PM 6/3/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >This is a very minor thing, but it's something that has been chewing
      >away at me for awhile now.. Does anyone know exactly what the clip
      >icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate a
      >clip command, while the disk icon seems to indicate everything else..
      >Is it really that simple? Are there other icons? And can custom
      >icons be assigned to clips?

      Perhaps you can find your answer in "Basic Clip Basics" which you can
      download at:

      http://www.jimbow.com/

      Regards,

      Jim
    • JohnZeman@operamail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        Thanks Jim and HRS..

        I didn't find the answer in that download Jim, but it was a good
        refresher course for me so I do appreciate it.. I'm inclined to
        agree with you HRS, I was just curious as to whether there was more
        to those icons than I was aware of..

        John

        --- In ntb-clips@y..., JohnZeman@o... wrote:
        > This is a very minor thing, but it's something that has been
        chewing
        > away at me for awhile now.. Does anyone know exactly what the clip
        > icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate
        > clip command, while the disk icon seems to indicate everything
        else..
        > Is it really that simple? Are there other icons? And can custom
        > icons be assigned to clips?
        >
        > Thanks..
        >
        > John
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          Hi John,

          A round dot versus a !

          What comes to mind for me is the clipbook window which displays clips that are in a clip library.

          A clip can be just a "clipping", something that was saved from the windows clipboard. ie it can be just text. If so, *a round dot shows*. And, on this type of clip, whenever the clip is launched, all you get is a "paste" action ie the text in the clip is pasted into your current document in NoteTab.

          But a clip may optionally have within it some of the scripting or "clip" language code. Or a clip may have a mix of just text, the first item, and clip language code, the second item.

          The ! shows whenever commands from clip language exists in that particular clip. This type of clip can make NoteTab perform repetetive operations. The clip language can do more than that.

          So, round dot is a passive sort of a clip which contains only text. And ! means the clip can do more because it contains command(s) from the clip language scripting code.

          So, it probably really is that simple. It appears I like to write :-)

          I've not known of ability to change those icons/characters, whatever they are.

          Alan.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            Hi Alan & John,

            You can also use a semi-colon in front of the Clipname and it
            will highlight the lip. When clicked on, it will open like an
            info box. It is a convenient place to add help, instructions,
            notes, etc. for different sections in the Library.

            If you add an underscore in front of the Clip the Clip name
            becomes dim and cannot be executed with a mouse (and probably
            with the keyboard- never tried it;). OnOpen, OnClipboardChange,
            OnClose, called clips, subroutines, etc. are places you might use
            it.

            >A round dot versus a !
            >
            >What comes to mind for me is the clipbook window which displays clips that are in a clip library.
            >
            >A clip can be just a "clipping", something that was saved from the windows clipboard. ie it can be just text. If so, *a round dot shows*. And, on this type of clip, whenever the clip is launched, all you get is a "paste" action ie the text in the clip is pasted into your current document in NoteTab.
            >
            >But a clip may optionally have within it some of the scripting or "clip" language code. Or a clip may have a mix of just text, the first item, and clip language code, the second item.
            >
            >The ! shows whenever commands from clip language exists in that particular clip. This type of clip can make NoteTab perform repetetive operations. The clip language can do more than that.
            >
            >So, round dot is a passive sort of a clip which contains only text. And ! means the clip can do more because it contains command(s) from the clip language scripting code.
            >
            >So, it probably really is that simple. It appears I like to write :-)
            >
            >I've not known of ability to change those icons/characters, whatever they are.
            >
            >Alan.
            >At 12:24 PM 6/4/01 +0000, you wrote:
            >>Thanks Jim and HRS..
            >>
            >>I didn't find the answer in that download Jim, but it was a good
            >>refresher course for me so I do appreciate it.. I'm inclined to
            >>agree with you HRS, I was just curious as to whether there was more
            >>to those icons than I was aware of..
            >>
            >>John
            >>

            >>--- In ntb-clips@y..., JohnZeman@o... wrote:
            >> > This is a very minor thing, but it's something that has been
            >>chewing
            >> > away at me for awhile now.. Does anyone know exactly what the clip
            >> > icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate
            >> > clip command, while the disk icon seems to indicate everything
            >>else..
            >> > Is it really that simple? Are there other icons? And can custom
            >> > icons be assigned to clips?
            >> >
            >> > Thanks..
            >> >
            >> > John

            http://www.notetab.net

            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • J.E.HALL
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
              John,

              > Does anyone know exactly what the clip
              > icons signify? (Not the clipbar icons) The ! icon seems to indicate
              >a clip command,

              I thought perhaps this was what you were referring to:

              The "Exclamation Mark" Bullet Type of Clip:

              The "Executable" (Macro/Script) form of a "Clip" is denoted by an
              "Exclamation Mark" Bullet and when clicked on will Cause NoteTab to perform
              any or all of a multitude of functions which can be defined using the "Clip
              Programming Language" set of Commands. NoteTab Wizards are popup
              Information Getting Dialog/Selection Boxes which are used to get Variable
              Input/Definition from Keyboard/Mouse Input. Wizards are both defined and
              used by this type of Clip. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format
              when the Clip contains a line which begins with the two-letter Command Code
              "^!".

              The "Dot" Bullet Type of Clip:

              The "Insert Text Segment" (Rubber Stamp) form of a "Clip" is denoted by the
              "Dot" Bullet and when clicked on will cause NoteTab to directly insert a
              predefined text string into the document currently open in the Editing
              Window at the current cursor position. Repetitive Text can be typed once
              and pasted many times (like using a rubber stamp).

              The "Plus Sign" Bullet Type of Clip:

              The "Insert Text Segment and Position Cursor" (HTML Comment Formatting)
              form of a "Clip" is denoted by the "Plus Sign" Bullet and when clicked on
              will Cause NoteTab to either directly insert a predefined text string into
              the document currently open in the Editing Window at the current cursor
              position and then reposition the cursor for adding additional text, or Wrap
              the predefined text around text which has been selected, or open a Wizard
              Box in which the additional text can be specified and then insert the
              predefined text and the additional text into the document currently open in
              the Editing Window at the current cursor position. NoteTab Wizards are
              popup Information Getting Dialog/Selection Boxes which are used to get
              Variable Input/Definition from Keyboard/Mouse Input. Wizards are both
              defined and used by this type of Clip. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of
              this format when the Clip contains a line which contains the two-letter
              Command Code "^&" and has no lines beginning with the two-letter Command
              Code "^!".

              Grayed Out Type of Clip:

              The "Disabled" (Can allow Conditional Execution by NoteTab) form of a
              "Clip" is denoted by being Grayed Out and when clicked on causes NoteTab to
              do nothing. NoteTab may independently execute this form of Clip if a
              predefined set of conditions are met or if an expected event occurs.
              NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip Header is
              preceded by an Underscore.

              Highlighted in the Header Color Type of Clip:

              The "ClipBook Header" (Informational Note) form of a "Clip" is denoted by
              being Highlighted in the Header Color, set in OPTIONS|CLIPBOOK TAB (Default
              = Red} and when clicked on they can cause NoteTab to open up an Information
              Note Box in the Editing Window if The Clip is formatted to do so. If not
              formatted to do so then NoteTab does nothing when they are selected and
              they simply serve as Clipbook Comments, Organizational Headings/Separators,
              or if no text is specified they simply serve as a blank line in the Editor
              Clipbook window display. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format
              when the Clip Header is preceded by a Semicolon.

              Regards,

              Jim