Re: [Clip] Clipbar icons

  • J.E.HALL
    Message 1 of 13 , May 25, 2001
      Marcus,

      A word of caution FWIW.

      Although this was common knowledge when the clipbar was introduced, I don't
      know if it is well documented today.

      BUT

      NTP loads all icons in the library directory into memory.

      You don't want to dump several hundred in there, they use up resources fast.<G>

      Regards,

      Jim
    • Manuel
      Message 2 of 13 , May 26, 2001
        What can we tell me about xml?. Some library?
        I have no idea about it but I need a little lesson about xml.

        Thanks.
        ---
        manuel123@...
        Cursos para ciegos (Courses for blind people)
        Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
        http://manuel123.8m.com (en espaƱol)
        http://infoman.8m.com (english page)
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 13 , May 26, 2001
          At 01:48 AM 5/27/01 +0200, Manuel wrote:
          >What can we tell me about xml?. Some library?
          >I have no idea about it but I need a little lesson about xml.

          There are numerous resources available, but for starters
          you might want to go to the "horse's mouth," so to speak:

          * The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) maintains the body
          of open XML and XML-related specifications:

          http://www.w3.org/

          * OASIS is the "Organization for the Advancement of
          Structured Information Standards," and is one of the
          major bodies promulgating XML tools and knowledge,
          among other open standards-based technologies:

          http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xml.html
          http://www.xml.org/

          * The Apache Software Foundation, similar to OASIS, is
          one of the major promulgators of open source software.
          Unlike OASIS, Apache provides legal resources for open
          source developers, perhaps most notably in the form of
          the Apache Software License, under which many XML tools
          are distributed:

          http://apache.org/

          The careful reader will note that these are all "org"
          domains -- these are non-profit organizations promoting
          open, non-proprietary standards and technologies. There
          are numerous companies -- for example, Microsoft --
          pushing proprietary extensions and technologies (some
          masquerading as open) that, I think, should be avoided.

          <soapbox>For the many promises of XML-based technologies
          to be fully realized -- and to avoid the nightmare of a
          world owned by just one or two companies -- we *must* base
          our XML solutions on open, non-proprietary, industry-wide
          standards. Thinking in the short term is not good enough;
          the decisions we make now have the potential to be with us
          for a very long time.</soapbox>

          Hope this helps.

          Scott
        • djust@bigfoot.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 26, 2001
            > NTP loads all icons in the library directory into memory.
            >
            > You don't want to dump several hundred in there, they use up
            resources fast.<G>

            Does this mean that if we have a touchy system which tends to be low
            on resources, it might help to more our unused icons from \libraries
            to a subfolder, so that NTP won't load them?
          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2001
              Hi Jim,

              >A word of caution FWIW.
              >
              >Although this was common knowledge when the clipbar was introduced, I don't
              >know if it is well documented today.
              >
              >BUT
              >
              >NTP loads all icons in the library directory into memory.
              >
              >You don't want to dump several hundred in there, they use up resources
              >fast.<G>

              It doesn't quite happen this way. The only time all images are loaded into
              memory is when you use the Button Properties dialog available through the
              Clipbar's shortcut menu. This dialog may require a lot of resources if the
              library directory contains a large number of icons.

              Regards,
              Eric G.V. Fookes

            • J.E.HALL
              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2001
                Eric,

                At 09:28 AM 5/28/01 +0200, you wrote:
                >It doesn't quite happen this way. The only time all images are loaded into
                >memory is when you use the Button Properties dialog available through the
                >Clipbar's shortcut menu. This dialog may require a lot of resources if the
                >library directory contains a large number of icons.

                Thanks for the clarification.
                For the life of me, I couldn't find your earlier warning post about that
                but I remembered it could be a problem and wanted to wave a flag.
                Perhaps I was just remembering something from early on in the Clipbar Beta
                Test days.
                (maybe it is just a memory overflow condition<G>)

                Regards,

                Jim
              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2001
                  Hi Dennis,

                  > > It doesn't quite happen this way. The only time all images are loaded
                  > > into memory is when you use the Button Properties dialog available
                  > > through the Clipbar's shortcut menu. This dialog may require a lot of
                  > > resources if the library directory contains a large number of icons.
                  >
                  >Does NoteTab release those resources when you close that dialog?

                  Yes, it does -- unless you add all the icons to the current Clipbar.

                  Note, however, that icons used in a Clipbar are kept in memory until you
                  close NoteTab. So if you close a Clipbar and open another one with
                  different icons, the previous ones remain in memory too. The advantage with
                  this approach is that Clipbars load much faster when you reopen them.

                  Regards,
                  Eric G.V. Fookes

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 29, 2001
                    Hi David,

                    >...if we have a touchy system which tends to be low on resources,
                    >it might help to more our unused icons from \libraries to a
                    >subfolder, so that NTP won't load them?

                    The way I understand it it would only help if you use the Button
                    Properties window. NoteTab loads all Toolbar icons configured
                    and all configured buttons into memory. My guess is you would
                    not be using the Button Properties dialog (right click over the
                    Clipbar) much once you get all setup.

                    http://www.notetab.net

                    http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips