RE: [Clip] How do you make list items into

  • Gauffin Claes
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10 5:13 AM
      Hello Charlie,

      > > The following is a clip I use to restrict hard returns to paragraph
      > >endings
      > >
      > >H="Make proper paras"
      > >;This clip attempts to remove hard line endings within paragraphs
      > >;To do this there has to be some means of identifying paragraphs.
      >
      > Hi Claes:
      >
      > Your clip is very interesting but I don't think that is what Clueless
      > wanted.
      >
      > I think what was wanted was to RETAIN the List format and NOT create
      > a paragraph. I too would be interested in having a clip which would
      > do that, but haven't figured out a way to do that. Do you have any
      > suggestions for that? Thanks

      I feel quite stupid, but I don't follow you.
      My first reaction to "I don't think that is what Clueless wanted.", was
      "Well, he should!" because as far as I reckon the clip does make
      a proper list out of his data. But then I get the feeling that I have missed
      the point, since you too need something else. So, could you
      please clarify a little?

      It might be easier if I explain how I see it:

      - To me a list is nothing more than a sequence of items,
      usually with a uniform lead-in structure, like a bullet, a number, a definition term,
      or whatever.
      - Each item is one and only one paragraph. What I am writing here is by that
      rule NOT a proper list, since I am inserting hard line endings here
      there
      and everywhere:)
      - Of course, lists are independent of paragraphs in most structural schemes,
      but I feel that is pushing dear old Note Tab a bit too far.
      Was this perhaps what you meant?
      - The problem with Clueless data as I saw it was that there were a
      number of extra lineendings beyond the ones defining list items. The clip
      simply removes these.

      /Claes
    • thefrank
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11 5:32 PM
        Hello All,

        If the goal is to simply reformat a list in a text doc to resemble
        the unordered list in a HTML doc, then why not use the bullet as the
        starting place?

        After selecting the list, the following will continue from where
        Clueless stopped (joining all lines) to insert the break before the
        bullet character:

        ^!Set %bullet%=^?{Type in List Bullet character:}
        ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
        ^!Replace "^%bullet%" >> "^p^%bullet%" A

        For a more appealing format, the following allows to add indent
        spacing so the list bullets will align with text outside the list:

        ^!Set %bullet%=^?[Type in List Bullet character:]
        ^!Set %indent%=^?[Number of spaces to indent each List Item:]
        ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
        ^!Replace "^%bullet%" >> "^p^$StrFill(^%SPACE%;^%indent%)$^%bullet%" A

        One could even use ^$StrFormat to limit the line width of the list
        item, but would need to add extra spaces for *second (or third...)
        lines* to align properly a few spaces to the right of the bullet. I
        haven't written this one, but you get the point...

        Of course, the above would be for incidental use, and require first
        to select the list...

        Regards,

        tf