Re: [Clip] How do you make list items into

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2001
      Hi all,

      I'm unsure if I'm on a same or on a separate track.

      But I began wondering myself (about how to join only broken lines such as
      sometimes incurred via long lines in email).

      Here's what I came up with so far. It might could be used to check/join
      long broken line(s) on clips for (email line breaks) broken lines,
      substitute finding the ^t and instead find ^!

      But I've found that clips sometimes line(s) are broken with a space and
      sometimes broken without a space. So, maybe I don't recomend to use on clips.

      On this next list each line begins with a tab

      * DON'T wear perfume, cologne, after shave lotion, etc.
      * DON'T use scented toiletries, lotions, shampoo, bath soap etc.
      * DON'T wear clothes laundered with fabric softener or scented
      detergent
      * DON'T wear clothes dried with fabric softener dryer sheets
      * DON'T wear clothes which have been exposed to cigarette smoke,
      perfume, etc.
      * DON'T use scented hair spray, mouse, gel, etc.
      -------------end of list-------------------

      But in that list there are two broken lines, each with a cr/lf at end of line

      When I tested next clip on above list, only the two broken lines became
      joined. All other lines were left untouched.

      H="List (join broken) Lines"
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!Set %row%=1
      ^!Set %gtlc%=^$GetTextLineCount$
      :loop
      ^!Inc %row%
      ^!If ^%row% >= ^%gtlc% end
      ^!SetCursor ^%row%:1
      ^!Select +3
      ^!Find "^t" HAITS
      ^!IfError join_lines
      ^!Goto loop
      :join_lines
      ^!Set %jl_row%=^%row%
      ^!Dec %jl_row%
      ^!SetCursor ^%jl_row%:1
      ^!Jump LINE_END
      ^!Keyboard DELETE
      ; ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%
      ^!Goto loop
      ;-----<end of clip<<

      Regards. Alan.
    • Gauffin Claes
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2001
        Hello Charlie,

        > > The following is a clip I use to restrict hard returns to paragraph
        > >endings
        > >
        > >H="Make proper paras"
        > >;This clip attempts to remove hard line endings within paragraphs
        > >;To do this there has to be some means of identifying paragraphs.
        >
        > Hi Claes:
        >
        > Your clip is very interesting but I don't think that is what Clueless
        > wanted.
        >
        > I think what was wanted was to RETAIN the List format and NOT create
        > a paragraph. I too would be interested in having a clip which would
        > do that, but haven't figured out a way to do that. Do you have any
        > suggestions for that? Thanks

        I feel quite stupid, but I don't follow you.
        My first reaction to "I don't think that is what Clueless wanted.", was
        "Well, he should!" because as far as I reckon the clip does make
        a proper list out of his data. But then I get the feeling that I have missed
        the point, since you too need something else. So, could you
        please clarify a little?

        It might be easier if I explain how I see it:

        - To me a list is nothing more than a sequence of items,
        usually with a uniform lead-in structure, like a bullet, a number, a definition term,
        or whatever.
        - Each item is one and only one paragraph. What I am writing here is by that
        rule NOT a proper list, since I am inserting hard line endings here
        there
        and everywhere:)
        - Of course, lists are independent of paragraphs in most structural schemes,
        but I feel that is pushing dear old Note Tab a bit too far.
        Was this perhaps what you meant?
        - The problem with Clueless data as I saw it was that there were a
        number of extra lineendings beyond the ones defining list items. The clip
        simply removes these.

        /Claes
      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2001
          Hello All,

          If the goal is to simply reformat a list in a text doc to resemble
          the unordered list in a HTML doc, then why not use the bullet as the
          starting place?

          After selecting the list, the following will continue from where
          Clueless stopped (joining all lines) to insert the break before the
          bullet character:

          ^!Set %bullet%=^?{Type in List Bullet character:}
          ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
          ^!Replace "^%bullet%" >> "^p^%bullet%" A

          For a more appealing format, the following allows to add indent
          spacing so the list bullets will align with text outside the list:

          ^!Set %bullet%=^?[Type in List Bullet character:]
          ^!Set %indent%=^?[Number of spaces to indent each List Item:]
          ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
          ^!Replace "^%bullet%" >> "^p^$StrFill(^%SPACE%;^%indent%)$^%bullet%" A

          One could even use ^$StrFormat to limit the line width of the list
          item, but would need to add extra spaces for *second (or third...)
          lines* to align properly a few spaces to the right of the bullet. I
          haven't written this one, but you get the point...

          Of course, the above would be for incidental use, and require first
          to select the list...

          Regards,

          tf