RE: How do you make list items into

  • Gauffin Claes
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2001
      Hello Clueless,

      You sent this to the Basic list

      > I made this list:
      >
      > * DON'T wear perfume, cologne, after shave lotion, etc.
      > * DON'T use scented toiletries, lotions, shampoo, bath soap etc.
      > * DON'T wear clothes laundered with fabric softener or scented
      > detergent
      > * DON'T wear clothes dried with fabric softener dryer sheets
      > * DON'T wear clothes which have been exposed to cigarette smoke,
      > perfume, etc.
      > * DON'T use scented hair spray, mouse, gel, etc.
      >
      > But then I used the Modify|Lines|Join Lines command, and it ended up
      > like this:
      >
      > * DON'T wear perfume, cologne, after shave lotion, etc. * DON'T use
      > scented toiletries, lotions, shampoo, bath soap etc. * DON'T wear
      > clothes laundered with fabric softener or scented detergent * DON'T wear
      > clothes dried with fabric softener dryer sheets * DON'T wear clothes
      > which have been exposed to cigarette smoke, perfume, etc. * DON'T use
      > scented hair spray, mouse, gel, etc.
      >
      > Is there a way to tag each line in the list as a separate paragraph?

      The following is a clip I use to restrict hard returns to paragraph endings

      Regards /Claes

      H="Make proper paras"
      ;This clip attempts to remove hard line endings within paragraphs
      ;To do this there has to be some means of identifying paragraphs.
      ;The following are considered paragraph starts:
      ; a space character after a hard return
      ; a tab character after a hard return
      ; an extra hard return (a blank line)
      ; a hyphen (-) after a hard return
      ; an asterisk (*) after a hard return
      ; The clip works on a selection if one is made, else on the whole file
      ^!Set %Sel%=H
      ^!If ^$GetSelSize$=0 ^!Set %Sel%=W
      ^!Replace "^p " >> "^p^p " ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace "^p-" >> "^p^p-" ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace "^p*" >> "^p^p*" ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace "^p^t" >> "^p^p^t" ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace "^p^p" >> "xyzzy" ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace "^p" >> " " ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace "xyzzy" >> "^p" ^%Sel%AITS
      ^!Replace " " >> " " ^%Sel%AITS
    • Charles M. Raine
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2001
        On Wed, 9 May 2001 09:27:20 +0200, Gauffin Claes wrote:
        >Hello Clueless,
        >
        > The following is a clip I use to restrict hard returns to paragraph
        >endings
        >
        >Regards /Claes
        >
        >H="Make proper paras"
        >;This clip attempts to remove hard line endings within paragraphs
        >;To do this there has to be some means of identifying paragraphs.

        Hi Claes:

        Your clip is very interesting but I don't think that is what Clueless
        wanted.

        I think what was wanted was to RETAIN the List format and NOT create
        a paragraph. I too would be interested in having a clip which would
        do that, but haven't figured out a way to do that. Do you have any
        suggestions for that? Thanks

        Charlie
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2001
          Hi all,

          I'm unsure if I'm on a same or on a separate track.

          But I began wondering myself (about how to join only broken lines such as
          sometimes incurred via long lines in email).

          Here's what I came up with so far. It might could be used to check/join
          long broken line(s) on clips for (email line breaks) broken lines,
          substitute finding the ^t and instead find ^!

          But I've found that clips sometimes line(s) are broken with a space and
          sometimes broken without a space. So, maybe I don't recomend to use on clips.

          On this next list each line begins with a tab

          * DON'T wear perfume, cologne, after shave lotion, etc.
          * DON'T use scented toiletries, lotions, shampoo, bath soap etc.
          * DON'T wear clothes laundered with fabric softener or scented
          detergent
          * DON'T wear clothes dried with fabric softener dryer sheets
          * DON'T wear clothes which have been exposed to cigarette smoke,
          perfume, etc.
          * DON'T use scented hair spray, mouse, gel, etc.
          -------------end of list-------------------

          But in that list there are two broken lines, each with a cr/lf at end of line

          When I tested next clip on above list, only the two broken lines became
          joined. All other lines were left untouched.

          H="List (join broken) Lines"
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Set %row%=1
          ^!Set %gtlc%=^$GetTextLineCount$
          :loop
          ^!Inc %row%
          ^!If ^%row% >= ^%gtlc% end
          ^!SetCursor ^%row%:1
          ^!Select +3
          ^!Find "^t" HAITS
          ^!IfError join_lines
          ^!Goto loop
          :join_lines
          ^!Set %jl_row%=^%row%
          ^!Dec %jl_row%
          ^!SetCursor ^%jl_row%:1
          ^!Jump LINE_END
          ^!Keyboard DELETE
          ; ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%
          ^!Goto loop
          ;-----<end of clip<<

          Regards. Alan.
        • Gauffin Claes
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2001
            Hello Charlie,

            > > The following is a clip I use to restrict hard returns to paragraph
            > >endings
            > >
            > >H="Make proper paras"
            > >;This clip attempts to remove hard line endings within paragraphs
            > >;To do this there has to be some means of identifying paragraphs.
            >
            > Hi Claes:
            >
            > Your clip is very interesting but I don't think that is what Clueless
            > wanted.
            >
            > I think what was wanted was to RETAIN the List format and NOT create
            > a paragraph. I too would be interested in having a clip which would
            > do that, but haven't figured out a way to do that. Do you have any
            > suggestions for that? Thanks

            I feel quite stupid, but I don't follow you.
            My first reaction to "I don't think that is what Clueless wanted.", was
            "Well, he should!" because as far as I reckon the clip does make
            a proper list out of his data. But then I get the feeling that I have missed
            the point, since you too need something else. So, could you
            please clarify a little?

            It might be easier if I explain how I see it:

            - To me a list is nothing more than a sequence of items,
            usually with a uniform lead-in structure, like a bullet, a number, a definition term,
            or whatever.
            - Each item is one and only one paragraph. What I am writing here is by that
            rule NOT a proper list, since I am inserting hard line endings here
            there
            and everywhere:)
            - Of course, lists are independent of paragraphs in most structural schemes,
            but I feel that is pushing dear old Note Tab a bit too far.
            Was this perhaps what you meant?
            - The problem with Clueless data as I saw it was that there were a
            number of extra lineendings beyond the ones defining list items. The clip
            simply removes these.

            /Claes
          • thefrank
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11, 2001
              Hello All,

              If the goal is to simply reformat a list in a text doc to resemble
              the unordered list in a HTML doc, then why not use the bullet as the
              starting place?

              After selecting the list, the following will continue from where
              Clueless stopped (joining all lines) to insert the break before the
              bullet character:

              ^!Set %bullet%=^?{Type in List Bullet character:}
              ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
              ^!Replace "^%bullet%" >> "^p^%bullet%" A

              For a more appealing format, the following allows to add indent
              spacing so the list bullets will align with text outside the list:

              ^!Set %bullet%=^?[Type in List Bullet character:]
              ^!Set %indent%=^?[Number of spaces to indent each List Item:]
              ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
              ^!Replace "^%bullet%" >> "^p^$StrFill(^%SPACE%;^%indent%)$^%bullet%" A

              One could even use ^$StrFormat to limit the line width of the list
              item, but would need to add extra spaces for *second (or third...)
              lines* to align properly a few spaces to the right of the bullet. I
              haven't written this one, but you get the point...

              Of course, the above would be for incidental use, and require first
              to select the list...

              Regards,

              tf