a clip for setting the basefont family, and size in PIXELS not abbritrary header numbers -- please test

  • Michael Edmonson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
      (reguarding writing in HTML)

      Dear Friends,
      I have been trying to think of a way to set the size of the base font in either pixles or points, as it is far more acurate, and pixles being the best for Cross-Browser compatibility, I wanted to use that, but the basefont secification only allows for the setting of headings, until i realized that you could set the ID attribute and give it a style, which of course you can abuse at will, so here it is, i'd love people's input, if there are any people using non-windows platforms that could try this html code on, and tell me if it works, i'd really apreciate it.

      Michael

      ^!Set %Font%=^?{(h=3)What font family==Times^="Times New Roman", Georgia, Times|SanSerif^=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular|Courier^="Courier New", Courier, Monaco}; %size%=^?{Size in Pixles}
      <basefont face="^%Font%" ID="mybasefont">
      #mybasefont {font-size: ^%size%px}
      //-->

    • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
        Hi Michael,
        I tested your clip in IE 5.5 on Win2K and it worked fine.
        I find web sites that use pixel sizes cause a lot of problems for
        users because of certain assumptions that are made by web designers.
        They assume everyone has the same monitor resolution and visual
        acuity. It is better to use relative sizes so a user can adjust the
        font size to meet their own requirements. This will make your web
        site accessible to far more users.
        -Peter
        www.velohalifax.ca

        ...I have been trying to think of a way to set the size of the base
        font in either pixles or points, as it is far more acurate, and
        pixles being the best for Cross-Browser compatibility, I wanted to
        use that, but the basefont secification only allows for the setting
        of headings, until i realized that you could set the ID attribute and
        give it a style> Michael