Re: Making numbers line up

  • wheeler54321@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hi Stephen!
      > Figured it out,

      Sweet! I will have to use your clip as a sample for some upcoming
      projects.

      Good Job!

      wheeler
    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
        Flattery?
        Thanks

        wheeler54321@... wrote:
        > I will have to use your clip as a sample for some upcoming
        > projects.
        >
        > Good Job!
        >
        > wheeler

      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          Hi Stephen ,

          I tested your clip using same file as other tests. 1000 lines
          formatted in 25 seconds! Nice job. Using String methods certainly
          handles some of the quirks inherent in other methods (after all, they
          are strings...) but is is strange to watch the cursor just sit there
          while the statusbar does all the work. (ahem..)

          I did have several newlines after the last text which did get counted
          in the final result, so if an accurate count is needed I suppose they
          will need to be trimmed.

          The only plausible argument (that I can think of) for presetting the
          RightMargin is if large batches of similar data needs to be formatted
          consistently over several sets, the longest line in one set may not
          be the same as another, or from batch to batch.

          Presetting the right limit would keep the output consistent over the
          long haul and improve readability, especially if the output pages are
          bound, or otherwise collated.

          All in all, itsa nice clip that works fine, and I learned some string
          stuff too.

          Regards,

          tf