Re: [Clip] Re: Making numbers line up

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hi Wheeler,
      Figured it out,
      The problem is that I was using "; " as a list delimiter which added an
      extra space to every line but the first one.
      Line 27 should be:
      ^!Set %text%="^$StrReplace("^%NL%";";";^%text%;FALSE;FALSE)$"
      instead of
      ^!Set %text%="^$StrReplace("^%NL%";"; ";^%text%;FALSE;FALSE)$"

      Also, if the clip were thorough, it would somewhere add a routine to
      keep semicolons somewhere in the text from screwing up the format.
      Later,
      Stephen

    • wheeler54321@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
        Hi Stephen!
        > Figured it out,

        Sweet! I will have to use your clip as a sample for some upcoming
        projects.

        Good Job!

        wheeler
      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          Flattery?
          Thanks

          wheeler54321@... wrote:
          > I will have to use your clip as a sample for some upcoming
          > projects.
          >
          > Good Job!
          >
          > wheeler

        • thefrank
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            Hi Stephen ,

            I tested your clip using same file as other tests. 1000 lines
            formatted in 25 seconds! Nice job. Using String methods certainly
            handles some of the quirks inherent in other methods (after all, they
            are strings...) but is is strange to watch the cursor just sit there
            while the statusbar does all the work. (ahem..)

            I did have several newlines after the last text which did get counted
            in the final result, so if an accurate count is needed I suppose they
            will need to be trimmed.

            The only plausible argument (that I can think of) for presetting the
            RightMargin is if large batches of similar data needs to be formatted
            consistently over several sets, the longest line in one set may not
            be the same as another, or from batch to batch.

            Presetting the right limit would keep the output consistent over the
            long haul and improve readability, especially if the output pages are
            bound, or otherwise collated.

            All in all, itsa nice clip that works fine, and I learned some string
            stuff too.

            Regards,

            tf