Re: [Clip] Re: Problems capturing STDERROR

  • Hal-pc
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 2 11:30 AM
      Which of the two statements fail. Narrow it down.

      jim

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 5 10:10 AM
        At 10:20 PM 4/4/01, Jason Waugh wrote:
        > >I don't know the intricacies of using ^** you might have a point about it's
        > >'inconsistency' You would think it would work the same as ^$GetDocName$.
        > >Actually I never bother using "^**" and always use ^$GetDocName$
        > >instead.
        >
        >Well, it's not so much an inconsistency with ^** as it is an inconsistency
        >in the way NoteTab and Perl are working together with respect to
        >STDERR. Maybe Perl isn't flushing before NoteTab thinks it's done
        >capturing STDERR? Maybe the NoteTab parser occasionally chokes on parsing
        >^**? This would result in the two different error messages appearing on
        >different tries with the same script....

        Thanks for the memory jog!

        I experienced the buffering problem when porting PERL scripts from Unix to
        MS-DOS several years ago (Perl 4, so the details have changed about
        avoiding the problem since I wrote those scripts). I recall needing to
        either disable buffering, or set it to line buffering (from block
        buffering) to make the problem go away.

        Find a Perl reference (here's one I have: "Programming Perl", second
        edition, by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen & Randal L. Schwartz, published by
        O'Reilly, copyright 1996) and look for information on the "$|"
        variable. It allows you to set output filehandles to block buffering
        (default) or line buffering (which is needed for Perl with NoteTab, since
        it runs as a DOS program).

        Hope this is helpful.