Re: [Clip] Making numbers line up

  • acummings@snowcrest.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hi Daniel,

      I'm thinking of the strformat (string format) function. you may want to scour
      the help for strformat and string format.

      I am not at my own computer right now or I would experiment further. but you
      could find out what column number for furthest to the right. then, set up your
      function, the str format function, set it up so the digits that are found, that
      they get relocated to that column number, the new column number.

      as to finding the numbers and getting them into the str format would of course
      need to occur in the clip first, (prior to the relocation)

      do you know what a delimiter is in your first sample below? are those tabs or
      are they spaces between the boomerang and the digits? (hint: in other words,
      for the clip, how will the clip find the particular digits before the clip
      would then relocate those digits)(furthermore, if that were a tab and it was
      the first tab on the line then you would just have the clip look for the first
      tab on a line then gather the adjacent digits (if need, use a variable) then
      put those digits into str format which reorders (relocates)

      the above would be a rough draft of my first approach at the task. but, once
      again, I am temporarily at someone else's computer I need work on them,
      convince them the value of NoteTab (then I could use it too when I visited them)

      HTH have fun. Alan.

      > How can I use a clip to automatically change this:
      >
      > Boomerang 175
      > Bravo 129
      > BYU-TV (Brigham Young Univ. TV) 9403
      > C-Span 2 212
      > C-SPAN 210
      > Calif. Community Colleges Sat. Net. 9405
      >
      > into this:
      >
      > Boomerang 175
      > Bravo 129
      > BYU-TV (Brigham Young Univ. TV) 9403
      > C-Span 2 212
      > C-SPAN 210
      > Calif. Community Colleges Sat. Net. 9405
      <snipped>

      This message was sent using SnowCrest WebMail.
      http://www.snowcrest.net