Re: [Clip] Highlighting text for programs

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
      I have had modest luck with noteawk myself.
      I do have it so that it tests the syntax of a script which is a HUGE plus.
      I keep an window open in dos to run the scripts though as I have not had
      consistent luck running them directly out of notetab. I get an error often.

      A lot of the pages I do are meant to render a web page on the fly. I seem
      to have better luck running a script that will modify another file or that
      sort of thing. I assume I probably need some type of self server for the
      former. Maybe therein lies the confusion?

      I also find I don't see what a clip in the noteawk library is supposed to
      do. Some of them are not intuitive to me. I know I take it as a begger,
      but a "user" read-me would help -- and if it is there I have not come across
      it.

      ---
      Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
        Hi Ray,

        >Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
        >have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I

        The line numbering uses two clips, one of them (the clip with the grey header) is called from the first clip. The "Perl script" (1st clip) appears to me it is an actual NoteTab "Clip" while the 2nd ("PerlNumLines") looks like it is a Perl type of script language, not a NoteTab "Clip" language.

        So, it appears to me that was just one method of calling up a Perl script, demonstrated in the SampleCode library. Since it worked for you . . . then perhaps the issue surrounds the mechanics of "how do you call up a Perl script on your computer" But for list topic purpose, I share a clip in the following

        and the following is just one method of even several more methods with which to call up (execute) a perl file.

        I don't know what you need or what you are looking for. But, just to share, an experience that worked/succeeded for me (yeah!!) as follows.

        I'm a beginner on Perl. And I noticed some of the beginner Perl files are with .plx file extension, not .pl file extension. Nonetheless, they run on activestate perl.

        As follows, mainly, I have 2 items portrayed. One is a clip. The 2nd is a Perl (.plx) file. The clip, when launched, the clip activates or runs a Perl script that is opened as the current document in NoteTab.

        **Key: So, you must have a .plx file opened and currently focused in NoteTab then you run the clip.

        when used in combination, the following (clip and .plx file) calls up a simple perl file which prints to the console window, reports "Hello World" (wihout the quotes)

        In the perlstuff below, copy everything between (do not copy the quoted start and end lines) the start and end lines and save it to a file named ch1a.plx

        then, open ch1a.plx in NoteTab. then launch the clip.

        H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
        ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
        ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
        ^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
        ^!cmd.exe
        ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
        ^!Set %curdoc%=^**

        ^!Delay 3
        ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
        ;--<end of clip<<

        In the above clip, the following lines

        ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
        ^!cmd.exe
        ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

        might need to be

        ^!IfAppOpen "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe" skip
        ^!cmd.exe
        ^!FocusApp "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe"

        Because, essentially, you'll need the path to cmd.exe in there is what you will need. You might get by with just "cmd.exe" in those two path statements.

        Perlstuff follows.

        "perl start"
        # ch1a

        print ("Hello, world!\n");
        "perl end"

        Regards, Alan.
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
          Hi Alan, Ray and Others,

          >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
          >^!cmd.exe
          >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

          I thought maybe with all the different Windows systems out now
          the following bits and pieces posted by Eric in the past may be
          helpful for you on this thread. Perhaps Eric can update it for
          us. ;) In short though, Win95/98/ME use command.exe and WinNT
          (and I'm pretty sure Win2000) uses cmd.exe:

          Eric wrote:
          ^!DOS is similar to ^! except that the appropriate shell is invoked
          (command.com for Win95 and cmd.exe for WinNT) with the /c parameter.

          ^!RUN uses the old Windows function call to launch applications.
          Although it should be similar to ^!, it sometimes works better to
          launch some programs with this method.

          Somebody posted:
          > I've noticed that NTP 4.82 and the betas of 4.83 sometimes get
          > stuck when running the ^$GetOutput()$ and ^$GetDosOutput$
          > commands under Win ME. For example, the simple
          >
          > ^!GetDosOutput("set")$
          >
          > command always produces this problem (works fine in 9x and NT).

          I think I may have found an explanation for this now. It seems that
          Windows ME uses Cmd.exe to open a DOS shell rather than Command.com.
          Could you try the following to see if it works on your computer?

          ^$GetOutput("cmd.exe /c set")$

          > Unfortunately I don't have cmd.exe on my Win Me computer and I
          > have almost all Windows components installed.

          I noticed that the explanation I found about cmd.exe was misleading.
          Only NT uses that. WinME still uses command.com to open DOS
          sessions. Sorry about that.

          Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on my
          Win95 machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir). It used
          to work fine before and it still works on my Win98 machine.
          Obviously, something has changed on my system that affects this
          feature. There must be some settings that control how DOS sessions
          work, but I can't figure out what these are.

          ---

          I will add the following also:

          Shell
          ^!Shell CommandLine (added in v4.82)
          Launches the specified file, program, or URL through the Windows
          shell. Proposed as a replacement for the default "^!" launch
          method. Example: instead of using "^!WordPad c:\autoexec.bat",
          use "^!Shell WordPad c:\autoexec.bat"

          ShellWait

          ^!ShellWait CommandLine (added in v4.82)
          Similar to the ^!Shell command, but waits until the launched
          program is terminated before moving to the next Clip instruction.
          Unlike the ^!Wait command, you can continue editing files in
          NoteTab while the application is running. Example:
          ^!ShellWait WordPad c:\autoexec.bat

          http://www.notetab.net

          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • Alan C.
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
            Hi all,

            Thanks Jody for the updated info.

            Oops in following, a hard return must have accidentally gotten deleted

            > >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
            > >^!cmd.exe
            > >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

            Oops, was an even bigger booboo, clumsy fingered (on the keyboard) me, one or two lines was missing and several lines were run together. So here's the runPerl_CurrDoc clip again. 'twas wrong before, It is right (at least as it formerly had worked for me the last time that I used the clip) this time

            H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
            ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
            ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
            ^!Goto Exit
            ^!Set %curdoc%=^**
            ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
            ^!cmd.exe
            ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
            ^!Delay 3
            ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
            ;--<end of clip<<

            (the above had worked on an NT system with not winnt as the dir but windows as the dir instead) that setup has since the HD been formatted.

            I currently do not have Perl installed on any of my systems. But as soon as I finish some other projects, that will change and I'll use the clip again in my Perl learning effort/experience.

            Alan.
          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
              On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:45:27 -0500,
              "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

              >Wayne
              >
              >I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl
              >as I described in my previous message but even that didn't
              >help. Would you post a simple example that I might try to
              >follow?
              >
              >Thank you,
              >
              >Ray Shapp

              I will, but I need some time to get other things done first.

              I have posted _many_ examples in the past (some over a year
              ago), before the list was moved to egroups (and then to
              yahoogroups). I'll dig through my personal archives to see
              what I can find and repost them.

              I also need to release an update to NoteAwk, as a few minor
              bugs have since been found, and some clips no longer work
              correctly with the current version of NoteTab. I'll take
              it of this as soon as possible.

              --
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen