Re: [Clip] Replace spaces

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
      On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:17:24 +0100,
      "Manuel" <manuel123@...> wrote:

      >How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

      With a regular expression, replace - a space followed by one
      or more spaces - with a single space.

      These both do the exact same thing, just different ways
      of writing it. (Some people feel the brackets make it
      easier to see the spaces.):

      ^!Replace " +" >> " " WARS

      ^!Replace "[ ][ ]+" >> " " WARS

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • Ben Geyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi Manuel,

        On 3 Mar 2001, at 0:17, Manuel wrote:

        > MANUEL
        > Hi, all.
        >
        > How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

        Here is a short loop that keeps on replacing two spaces with one until there are
        no more instances of two spaces:

        H=Replace excess spaces
        ^!Replace " " >> " " AWS
        ^!IfError END ELSE Skip_-1

        I think that should work OK for you,

        Ben
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
          Hello Manuel,

          >How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

          The fastest method is to use the Modify|Spaces|Single Space menu command.

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
            Hi Eric and Manuel,

            >> How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?
            >
            >The fastest method is to use the Modify|Spaces|Single Space menu
            >command.

            For some reason I was thinking that only did like one pass
            through at a time, but it does get them all. So, it may be
            quicker to do it like that, but you have to use for your Clip if
            that is what you are using it in and most of us prefer to stay
            away from Keyboard commands when other commands are available:

            ^!Keyboard Alt+M S S

            A Clip on the default Clipbar for that is faster than manually
            doing it whether you use ^!Replace with RegExp or with a Skip_-1
            or ^!Keyboard. <g>

            I know what I was thinking of though and it was Trim Blanks under
            Modify | Lines. That is useful too at times, but again I prefer
            using Replace for better accuracy and precise spaces of lines.

            http://www.notetab.net

            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips