Replace Delimters, Whole Words

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
      Hi ezgoindm,

      That's a different name. ;)

      >I use a series of 8 symbols as a delimiter when saving multiple
      >messages in my newsgroup reader MY problem is that I can't get
      >search/replace to find JUST 8 symbols as a "whole word" to change
      >to the appropriate symbol (I changed from ======== to <<<<<<<<)
      >It goes in and replaces the 8 piece string even in 20+ character
      >strings So if someone used 20 "='s" as a divider beween story
      >segments, it replaces 16 of em with "<'s".
      >
      >How do I limit search/replace to whole "word" instances of the
      >search string?

      I do not know enough to tell if there is a quirk or not, but it
      appears there is or at least it could be improved. Help says:

      T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
      within longer words).
      C: Searches for whole words only.
      If the options T or C are not used, NoteTab will search for whole
      words if the search criteria does not contain spaces or other
      word delimiting characters. If the search criteria contains such
      delimiters, then NoteTab will accept matches that are not whole
      words.

      So, it would appear that if the "C" Option was used, even with
      delimiters, that it would stop at, in your case, 8 equals signs.
      Checking Whole Words in the replace dialog should, I think, be
      equal to "C". Here is a work around for you though. I did not
      get real fancy so if you have say "========+" that will be
      replaced also, but nine or more equals signs will be ignored.
      NoteTab looks at the selection start for the column position.
      That is why it is checking the 9th character.

      ^!SetHintInfo Editing...
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
      ; ^!Replace "========" >> "<<<<<<<<" CS
      ; ^!IfError Next else Skip_-1
      :Loop
      ^!Find "========" S
      ^!IfError End
      ^!IfSame "=" "^$GetChar(+9)$" Loop
      ^!InsertText <<<<<<<<
      ^!Goto Loop

      If the "========" are all on one line you could use:

      ^!Replace "\n========\n" >> "\n<<<<<<<<\n" WARS

      A RegExp'ert will have to show you more than that. It is faster
      for me to write out a Clip than keep trying RegExp till I get it
      to work. ;)

      http://www.notetab.net

      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Ben Geyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
        To all newbies:

        Some time ago I got a copy of Jody's Tab2Spaces clip. I don't recall exactly
        where I got it, but it was from the internet somewhere.

        It had numerous errors when I tried to run it. When I finally got around to
        trouble shooting it I found that all of the errors were caused by just one extra
        space at the end of perhaps half a dozen lines. When these spaces (many were
        at the end of a label) were removed the clip ran just fine.

        The bottom line is to watch for superfluous spaces, especially in a clip imported
        from the 'net. - they can cause errors.

        Happy Tab'n - Newbie Ben
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hi Ben,

          >Some time ago I got a copy of Jody's Tab2Spaces clip. I don't
          >recall exactly where I got it, but it was from the internet
          >somewhere.

          That is actually Claes' Clip as stated in the Clip, but I do not
          get any errors here in Pro or Light. Perhaps it is the browser
          you are using. I just got it off of my Snatch-A-Clip to test
          using NetCaptor. http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm

          ; Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:50:22 +0200
          ; Subject: Re: [Clip] Making a table
          ; Input data must have columns separated by either a tab
          ; character or two or more blanks. If you want to have a gap
          ; in the table, ie an empty cell followed by non-empty
          ; cell(s), you have to use tabs as column separators around
          ; that cell. Regards /Claes

          >It had numerous errors when I tried to run it. When I finally
          >got around to trouble shooting it I found that all of the errors
          >were caused by just one extra space at the end of perhaps half a
          >dozen lines. When these spaces (many were at the end of a label)
          >were removed the clip ran just fine.

          That would certainly mess it up. ;) I don't know how they got
          there unless it was your browser, perhaps my HTML, or maybe a
          real old version, ah, perhaps you got it at eGroups or
          YahooGroups. If that is the case, always use their View Source
          link if it is still there from eGroups, but:

          >Happy Tab'n - Newbie Ben

          How long you gonna stay a newbie Ben? <bg>