Re: [Clip] Replace spaces

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
      MH7 wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'd imagine this question has been put many times before, but can anyone
      > advise how to replace a sequence of three spaces with say two spaces in NTP?
      >
      > ^!Replace " " >> " " does not appear to work!
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mark Halsall

      Hello Mark,

      Which qualifiers did you use for the Replace command? None were
      in this message. Check out the Help on Clip Programming / Find /
      Replace text. I haven't tried this space string yet but, I will.

      hrs
    • ezgoindm
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
        I use a series of 8 symbols as a delimiter when saving multiple messages in
        my newsgroup reader MY problem is that I can't get search/replace to find
        JUST 8 symbols as a "whole word" to change to the appropriate symbol (I
        changed from ======== to <<<<<<<<) It goes in and replaces the 8 piece
        string even in 20+ character strings So if someone used 20 "='s" as a
        divider beween story segments, it replaces 16 of em with "<'s".

        How do I limit search/replace to whole "word" instances of the search
        string? In other words:
        I want it to search and replace
        ========
        with
        <<<<<<<<

        NOT
        =====================
        with
        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<====

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hi ezgoindm,

          That's a different name. ;)

          >I use a series of 8 symbols as a delimiter when saving multiple
          >messages in my newsgroup reader MY problem is that I can't get
          >search/replace to find JUST 8 symbols as a "whole word" to change
          >to the appropriate symbol (I changed from ======== to <<<<<<<<)
          >It goes in and replaces the 8 piece string even in 20+ character
          >strings So if someone used 20 "='s" as a divider beween story
          >segments, it replaces 16 of em with "<'s".
          >
          >How do I limit search/replace to whole "word" instances of the
          >search string?

          I do not know enough to tell if there is a quirk or not, but it
          appears there is or at least it could be improved. Help says:

          T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
          within longer words).
          C: Searches for whole words only.
          If the options T or C are not used, NoteTab will search for whole
          words if the search criteria does not contain spaces or other
          word delimiting characters. If the search criteria contains such
          delimiters, then NoteTab will accept matches that are not whole
          words.

          So, it would appear that if the "C" Option was used, even with
          delimiters, that it would stop at, in your case, 8 equals signs.
          Checking Whole Words in the replace dialog should, I think, be
          equal to "C". Here is a work around for you though. I did not
          get real fancy so if you have say "========+" that will be
          replaced also, but nine or more equals signs will be ignored.
          NoteTab looks at the selection start for the column position.
          That is why it is checking the 9th character.

          ^!SetHintInfo Editing...
          ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
          ; ^!Replace "========" >> "<<<<<<<<" CS
          ; ^!IfError Next else Skip_-1
          :Loop
          ^!Find "========" S
          ^!IfError End
          ^!IfSame "=" "^$GetChar(+9)$" Loop
          ^!InsertText <<<<<<<<
          ^!Goto Loop

          If the "========" are all on one line you could use:

          ^!Replace "\n========\n" >> "\n<<<<<<<<\n" WARS

          A RegExp'ert will have to show you more than that. It is faster
          for me to write out a Clip than keep trying RegExp till I get it
          to work. ;)

          http://www.notetab.net

          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • Ben Geyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
            To all newbies:

            Some time ago I got a copy of Jody's Tab2Spaces clip. I don't recall exactly
            where I got it, but it was from the internet somewhere.

            It had numerous errors when I tried to run it. When I finally got around to
            trouble shooting it I found that all of the errors were caused by just one extra
            space at the end of perhaps half a dozen lines. When these spaces (many were
            at the end of a label) were removed the clip ran just fine.

            The bottom line is to watch for superfluous spaces, especially in a clip imported
            from the 'net. - they can cause errors.

            Happy Tab'n - Newbie Ben
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
              Hi Ben,

              >Some time ago I got a copy of Jody's Tab2Spaces clip. I don't
              >recall exactly where I got it, but it was from the internet
              >somewhere.

              That is actually Claes' Clip as stated in the Clip, but I do not
              get any errors here in Pro or Light. Perhaps it is the browser
              you are using. I just got it off of my Snatch-A-Clip to test
              using NetCaptor. http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm

              ; Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:50:22 +0200
              ; Subject: Re: [Clip] Making a table
              ; Input data must have columns separated by either a tab
              ; character or two or more blanks. If you want to have a gap
              ; in the table, ie an empty cell followed by non-empty
              ; cell(s), you have to use tabs as column separators around
              ; that cell. Regards /Claes

              >It had numerous errors when I tried to run it. When I finally
              >got around to trouble shooting it I found that all of the errors
              >were caused by just one extra space at the end of perhaps half a
              >dozen lines. When these spaces (many were at the end of a label)
              >were removed the clip ran just fine.

              That would certainly mess it up. ;) I don't know how they got
              there unless it was your browser, perhaps my HTML, or maybe a
              real old version, ah, perhaps you got it at eGroups or
              YahooGroups. If that is the case, always use their View Source
              link if it is still there from eGroups, but:

              >Happy Tab'n - Newbie Ben

              How long you gonna stay a newbie Ben? <bg>

              http://www.notetab.net

              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips