Replace spaces

  • MH7
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
      Hi all,

      I'd imagine this question has been put many times before, but can anyone
      advise how to replace a sequence of three spaces with say two spaces in NTP?

      ^!Replace " " >> " " does not appear to work!

      Regards,
      Mark Halsall
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi Mark,

        >I'd imagine this question has been put many times before, but can
        >anyone advise how to replace a sequence of three spaces with say
        >two spaces in NTP?
        >
        >^!Replace " " >> " " does not appear to work!

        Try

        ^!Replace " " >> " " WAS

        which will do all of them *one pass* through the document.

        This will get all of them which will keep looping till no more
        trip spaces are found:

        ^!Replace " " >> " " WAS
        ^!IfError Next else Skip_-1

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Manuel
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
          ^!Replace " " >> " " WAS

          MANUEL
          Hi, all.

          And a question, please?

          How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

          Thanks in advance.
          ---
          Manuel
          manuel123@...
          - Cursos por email:Windows,Navegador,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
          TambiƩn para ciegos.
          http://manuel123.8m.com
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
            On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:17:24 +0100,
            "Manuel" <manuel123@...> wrote:

            >How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

            With a regular expression, replace - a space followed by one
            or more spaces - with a single space.

            These both do the exact same thing, just different ways
            of writing it. (Some people feel the brackets make it
            easier to see the spaces.):

            ^!Replace " +" >> " " WARS

            ^!Replace "[ ][ ]+" >> " " WARS

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          • Ben Geyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
              Hi Manuel,

              On 3 Mar 2001, at 0:17, Manuel wrote:

              > MANUEL
              > Hi, all.
              >
              > How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

              Here is a short loop that keeps on replacing two spaces with one until there are
              no more instances of two spaces:

              H=Replace excess spaces
              ^!Replace " " >> " " AWS
              ^!IfError END ELSE Skip_-1

              I think that should work OK for you,

              Ben
            • Eric G.V. Fookes
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
                Hello Manuel,

                >How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?

                The fastest method is to use the Modify|Spaces|Single Space menu command.

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
                  Hi Eric and Manuel,

                  >> How can I replace two or more spaces with a single space?
                  >
                  >The fastest method is to use the Modify|Spaces|Single Space menu
                  >command.

                  For some reason I was thinking that only did like one pass
                  through at a time, but it does get them all. So, it may be
                  quicker to do it like that, but you have to use for your Clip if
                  that is what you are using it in and most of us prefer to stay
                  away from Keyboard commands when other commands are available:

                  ^!Keyboard Alt+M S S

                  A Clip on the default Clipbar for that is faster than manually
                  doing it whether you use ^!Replace with RegExp or with a Skip_-1
                  or ^!Keyboard. <g>

                  I know what I was thinking of though and it was Trim Blanks under
                  Modify | Lines. That is useful too at times, but again I prefer
                  using Replace for better accuracy and precise spaces of lines.