Re: [Clip] Highlighting text for programs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2001
      Wheeler and Piotr

      I tried a while back to get perl to work (launch) from NT but I gave up.
      Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
      have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I
      FTP them to my ISP and invoke them from HTML pages.) Most of the perl
      scripts process input from the HTML Form function. Some to table look-ups
      and some do math. Most scripts build new HTML pages and present their
      output on the new pages. The perl interpreter on my local PC is ActivePerl
      from ActiveState Tool Corp.

      I got really discouraged about using NT to develop perl scripts when someone
      on this board told me I'd need a copy of Apache running on my computer to
      debug and
      run perl scripts.

      I'm probably making some simple systematic error. Would either or both of
      you post a few simple examples of perl scripts and post with them the
      instructions to launch them from NT, please?

      Thanks for your help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:00:29 -0500,
        "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

        >I got really discouraged about using NoteTab to develop Perl
        >scripts when someone on this board told me I'd need a copy of
        >Apache running on my computer to debug and run perl scripts.

        That someone gave you the wrong answer.

        Perl was originally designed as a text file manipulation language.
        It is still exceptionally good for this purpose.

        It later become popular as a language for CGI programming to
        support dynamic web pages, especially pages that need to
        communicate with database servers. When testing CGI pages,
        Apache can be helpful. Although depending on the circumstances,
        may not be necessary.

        But for other tasks, such as making changes to text files,
        ActivePerl works fine just by itself.

        Perl is a versatile language that can be used to fill wide
        variety of tasks. It is designed so that programs can be
        written quickly, in fact it is often considered one of the
        better "Rapid Application Development" languages. Perl
        is a "get the job done" sort of language, not meant for
        polished applications or for writing commercial software,
        but rather as a quick solution for handling practical tasks.

        NoteTab, with clipbook called NoteAwk, makes it even easier
        to work with Perl.

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
          Wayne

          I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl as I described in
          my previous message but even that didn't help. Would you post a simple
          example that I might try to follow?

          Thank you,

          Ray Shapp
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
            I have had modest luck with noteawk myself.
            I do have it so that it tests the syntax of a script which is a HUGE plus.
            I keep an window open in dos to run the scripts though as I have not had
            consistent luck running them directly out of notetab. I get an error often.

            A lot of the pages I do are meant to render a web page on the fly. I seem
            to have better luck running a script that will modify another file or that
            sort of thing. I assume I probably need some type of self server for the
            former. Maybe therein lies the confusion?

            I also find I don't see what a clip in the noteawk library is supposed to
            do. Some of them are not intuitive to me. I know I take it as a begger,
            but a "user" read-me would help -- and if it is there I have not come across
            it.

            ---
            Don Passenger
            > I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl as I described
            in
            > my previous message but even that didn't help. Would you post a simple
            > example that I might try to follow?
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Ray Shapp

          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
              Hi Ray,

              >Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
              >have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I

              The line numbering uses two clips, one of them (the clip with the grey header) is called from the first clip. The "Perl script" (1st clip) appears to me it is an actual NoteTab "Clip" while the 2nd ("PerlNumLines") looks like it is a Perl type of script language, not a NoteTab "Clip" language.

              So, it appears to me that was just one method of calling up a Perl script, demonstrated in the SampleCode library. Since it worked for you . . . then perhaps the issue surrounds the mechanics of "how do you call up a Perl script on your computer" But for list topic purpose, I share a clip in the following

              and the following is just one method of even several more methods with which to call up (execute) a perl file.

              I don't know what you need or what you are looking for. But, just to share, an experience that worked/succeeded for me (yeah!!) as follows.

              I'm a beginner on Perl. And I noticed some of the beginner Perl files are with .plx file extension, not .pl file extension. Nonetheless, they run on activestate perl.

              As follows, mainly, I have 2 items portrayed. One is a clip. The 2nd is a Perl (.plx) file. The clip, when launched, the clip activates or runs a Perl script that is opened as the current document in NoteTab.

              **Key: So, you must have a .plx file opened and currently focused in NoteTab then you run the clip.

              when used in combination, the following (clip and .plx file) calls up a simple perl file which prints to the console window, reports "Hello World" (wihout the quotes)

              In the perlstuff below, copy everything between (do not copy the quoted start and end lines) the start and end lines and save it to a file named ch1a.plx

              then, open ch1a.plx in NoteTab. then launch the clip.

              H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
              ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
              ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
              ^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
              ^!cmd.exe
              ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
              ^!Set %curdoc%=^**

              ^!Delay 3
              ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
              ;--<end of clip<<

              In the above clip, the following lines

              ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
              ^!cmd.exe
              ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

              might need to be

              ^!IfAppOpen "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe" skip
              ^!cmd.exe
              ^!FocusApp "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe"

              Because, essentially, you'll need the path to cmd.exe in there is what you will need. You might get by with just "cmd.exe" in those two path statements.

              Perlstuff follows.

              "perl start"
              # ch1a

              print ("Hello, world!\n");
              "perl end"

              Regards, Alan.
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                Hi Alan, Ray and Others,

                >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                >^!cmd.exe
                >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                I thought maybe with all the different Windows systems out now
                the following bits and pieces posted by Eric in the past may be
                helpful for you on this thread. Perhaps Eric can update it for
                us. ;) In short though, Win95/98/ME use command.exe and WinNT
                (and I'm pretty sure Win2000) uses cmd.exe:

                Eric wrote:
                ^!DOS is similar to ^! except that the appropriate shell is invoked
                (command.com for Win95 and cmd.exe for WinNT) with the /c parameter.

                ^!RUN uses the old Windows function call to launch applications.
                Although it should be similar to ^!, it sometimes works better to
                launch some programs with this method.

                Somebody posted:
                > I've noticed that NTP 4.82 and the betas of 4.83 sometimes get
                > stuck when running the ^$GetOutput()$ and ^$GetDosOutput$
                > commands under Win ME. For example, the simple
                >
                > ^!GetDosOutput("set")$
                >
                > command always produces this problem (works fine in 9x and NT).

                I think I may have found an explanation for this now. It seems that
                Windows ME uses Cmd.exe to open a DOS shell rather than Command.com.
                Could you try the following to see if it works on your computer?

                ^$GetOutput("cmd.exe /c set")$

                > Unfortunately I don't have cmd.exe on my Win Me computer and I
                > have almost all Windows components installed.

                I noticed that the explanation I found about cmd.exe was misleading.
                Only NT uses that. WinME still uses command.com to open DOS
                sessions. Sorry about that.

                Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on my
                Win95 machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir). It used
                to work fine before and it still works on my Win98 machine.
                Obviously, something has changed on my system that affects this
                feature. There must be some settings that control how DOS sessions
                work, but I can't figure out what these are.

                ---

                I will add the following also:

                Shell
                ^!Shell CommandLine (added in v4.82)
                Launches the specified file, program, or URL through the Windows
                shell. Proposed as a replacement for the default "^!" launch
                method. Example: instead of using "^!WordPad c:\autoexec.bat",
                use "^!Shell WordPad c:\autoexec.bat"

                ShellWait

                ^!ShellWait CommandLine (added in v4.82)
                Similar to the ^!Shell command, but waits until the launched
                program is terminated before moving to the next Clip instruction.
                Unlike the ^!Wait command, you can continue editing files in
                NoteTab while the application is running. Example:
                ^!ShellWait WordPad c:\autoexec.bat

                http://www.notetab.net

                http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
              • Alan C.
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                  Hi all,

                  Thanks Jody for the updated info.

                  Oops in following, a hard return must have accidentally gotten deleted

                  > >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                  > >^!cmd.exe
                  > >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                  Oops, was an even bigger booboo, clumsy fingered (on the keyboard) me, one or two lines was missing and several lines were run together. So here's the runPerl_CurrDoc clip again. 'twas wrong before, It is right (at least as it formerly had worked for me the last time that I used the clip) this time

                  H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
                  ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
                  ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
                  ^!Goto Exit
                  ^!Set %curdoc%=^**
                  ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                  ^!cmd.exe
                  ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
                  ^!Delay 3
                  ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
                  ;--<end of clip<<

                  (the above had worked on an NT system with not winnt as the dir but windows as the dir instead) that setup has since the HD been formatted.

                  I currently do not have Perl installed on any of my systems. But as soon as I finish some other projects, that will change and I'll use the clip again in my Perl learning effort/experience.

                  Alan.
                • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                    On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:45:27 -0500,
                    "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                    >Wayne
                    >
                    >I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl
                    >as I described in my previous message but even that didn't
                    >help. Would you post a simple example that I might try to
                    >follow?
                    >
                    >Thank you,
                    >
                    >Ray Shapp

                    I will, but I need some time to get other things done first.

                    I have posted _many_ examples in the past (some over a year
                    ago), before the list was moved to egroups (and then to
                    yahoogroups). I'll dig through my personal archives to see
                    what I can find and repost them.

                    I also need to release an update to NoteAwk, as a few minor
                    bugs have since been found, and some clips no longer work
                    correctly with the current version of NoteTab. I'll take
                    it of this as soon as possible.

                    --
                    Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen