Re: [Clip] Highlighting text for programs

  • Piotr Bienkowski
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2001
      On 28 Feb 2001, at 17:07, Jody wrote:

      > NoteTab is 10 times the program of the simple Linux VIM, but
      > let's not get into that less it be on the Off-Topic list.

      Yes, there's two things that stop me from pupulating my system with
      other text processing tools. NoteTab Pro and Perl. They work
      excellent hand in hand.

      > Customizable syntax highlighting is coming in v5 along with a
      > large number of fantastic other features that will put NoteTab
      > leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

      I just can't wait for that. Any clues when it might be due for
      release?

      Regards,

      Piotr BieĊ„kowski
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi Piotr and Others,

        >> Customizable syntax highlighting is coming in v5 along with a
        >> large number of fantastic other features that will put NoteTab
        >> leaps and bounds beyond the competition.
        >
        >I just can't wait for that. Any clues when it might be due for
        >release?

        We all, well, at least a lot of us have been waiting for quite
        awhile. It will still be a while yet though. Eric is currently
        upgrading Album Express (AE) and will do a minor upgrade to
        MailBag Assistant (MBA) after that if he does not change his mind
        which could very well happen. :) How's that for a definite
        answer? <bg> http://www.fookes.com/products.htm

        There were plans for a fast editor/reader geared towards
        programmers. I can't say if that is still in line after AE and
        MBA or not. Even if it is, a lot of the code will/can be used in
        v5 of NoteTab Pro/Std. He has also been rewriting some of
        NoteTab's Libraries, or ones that are used in all his software in
        Delphi 5 so, in a way, v5 of the 'Tab has been worked on some.
        As far as a release date, I won't attempt to even give an "about
        date" other than to say it is a ways off yet.

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • wheeler54321@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2001
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@n...> wrote:

          > Yes, there's two things that stop me from pupulating my system with
          > other text processing tools. NoteTab Pro and Perl. They work
          > excellent hand in hand.

          Yep! I just hope that our NoteTab Clippers find some time to learn
          just a little bit about Perl. Lots of those clips I see on this list
          is way more intense than Perl. I do not mean to take anybody away
          from writing beautiful clips. However, NoteTab supports Perl
          admirably - why not take full advantage of it.

          See for yourself - check out the "samples" library that comes with
          NoteTab and the "Perl Script", "_Perl NumLines" clips.

          While you are at it:
          http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/perl_clb.zip

          Well, I truly cannot wait for Perl highlighting in NoteTab 5.

          _______
          wheeler
          If I can't do it, NoteTab/Perl can
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2001
            Wheeler and Piotr

            I tried a while back to get perl to work (launch) from NT but I gave up.
            Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
            have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I
            FTP them to my ISP and invoke them from HTML pages.) Most of the perl
            scripts process input from the HTML Form function. Some to table look-ups
            and some do math. Most scripts build new HTML pages and present their
            output on the new pages. The perl interpreter on my local PC is ActivePerl
            from ActiveState Tool Corp.

            I got really discouraged about using NT to develop perl scripts when someone
            on this board told me I'd need a copy of Apache running on my computer to
            debug and
            run perl scripts.

            I'm probably making some simple systematic error. Would either or both of
            you post a few simple examples of perl scripts and post with them the
            instructions to launch them from NT, please?

            Thanks for your help,

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ
          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2001
              On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:00:29 -0500,
              "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

              >I got really discouraged about using NoteTab to develop Perl
              >scripts when someone on this board told me I'd need a copy of
              >Apache running on my computer to debug and run perl scripts.

              That someone gave you the wrong answer.

              Perl was originally designed as a text file manipulation language.
              It is still exceptionally good for this purpose.

              It later become popular as a language for CGI programming to
              support dynamic web pages, especially pages that need to
              communicate with database servers. When testing CGI pages,
              Apache can be helpful. Although depending on the circumstances,
              may not be necessary.

              But for other tasks, such as making changes to text files,
              ActivePerl works fine just by itself.

              Perl is a versatile language that can be used to fill wide
              variety of tasks. It is designed so that programs can be
              written quickly, in fact it is often considered one of the
              better "Rapid Application Development" languages. Perl
              is a "get the job done" sort of language, not meant for
              polished applications or for writing commercial software,
              but rather as a quick solution for handling practical tasks.

              NoteTab, with clipbook called NoteAwk, makes it even easier
              to work with Perl.

              --
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                Wayne

                I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl as I described in
                my previous message but even that didn't help. Would you post a simple
                example that I might try to follow?

                Thank you,

                Ray Shapp
              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                  I have had modest luck with noteawk myself.
                  I do have it so that it tests the syntax of a script which is a HUGE plus.
                  I keep an window open in dos to run the scripts though as I have not had
                  consistent luck running them directly out of notetab. I get an error often.

                  A lot of the pages I do are meant to render a web page on the fly. I seem
                  to have better luck running a script that will modify another file or that
                  sort of thing. I assume I probably need some type of self server for the
                  former. Maybe therein lies the confusion?

                  I also find I don't see what a clip in the noteawk library is supposed to
                  do. Some of them are not intuitive to me. I know I take it as a begger,
                  but a "user" read-me would help -- and if it is there I have not come across
                  it.

                  ---
                  Don Passenger
                  > I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl as I described
                  in
                  > my previous message but even that didn't help. Would you post a simple
                  > example that I might try to follow?
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > Ray Shapp

                • Alan C.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                    Hi Ray,

                    >Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
                    >have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I

                    The line numbering uses two clips, one of them (the clip with the grey header) is called from the first clip. The "Perl script" (1st clip) appears to me it is an actual NoteTab "Clip" while the 2nd ("PerlNumLines") looks like it is a Perl type of script language, not a NoteTab "Clip" language.

                    So, it appears to me that was just one method of calling up a Perl script, demonstrated in the SampleCode library. Since it worked for you . . . then perhaps the issue surrounds the mechanics of "how do you call up a Perl script on your computer" But for list topic purpose, I share a clip in the following

                    and the following is just one method of even several more methods with which to call up (execute) a perl file.

                    I don't know what you need or what you are looking for. But, just to share, an experience that worked/succeeded for me (yeah!!) as follows.

                    I'm a beginner on Perl. And I noticed some of the beginner Perl files are with .plx file extension, not .pl file extension. Nonetheless, they run on activestate perl.

                    As follows, mainly, I have 2 items portrayed. One is a clip. The 2nd is a Perl (.plx) file. The clip, when launched, the clip activates or runs a Perl script that is opened as the current document in NoteTab.

                    **Key: So, you must have a .plx file opened and currently focused in NoteTab then you run the clip.

                    when used in combination, the following (clip and .plx file) calls up a simple perl file which prints to the console window, reports "Hello World" (wihout the quotes)

                    In the perlstuff below, copy everything between (do not copy the quoted start and end lines) the start and end lines and save it to a file named ch1a.plx

                    then, open ch1a.plx in NoteTab. then launch the clip.

                    H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
                    ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
                    ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
                    ^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                    ^!cmd.exe
                    ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
                    ^!Set %curdoc%=^**

                    ^!Delay 3
                    ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
                    ;--<end of clip<<

                    In the above clip, the following lines

                    ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                    ^!cmd.exe
                    ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                    might need to be

                    ^!IfAppOpen "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                    ^!cmd.exe
                    ^!FocusApp "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe"

                    Because, essentially, you'll need the path to cmd.exe in there is what you will need. You might get by with just "cmd.exe" in those two path statements.

                    Perlstuff follows.

                    "perl start"
                    # ch1a

                    print ("Hello, world!\n");
                    "perl end"

                    Regards, Alan.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                      Hi Alan, Ray and Others,

                      >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                      >^!cmd.exe
                      >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                      I thought maybe with all the different Windows systems out now
                      the following bits and pieces posted by Eric in the past may be
                      helpful for you on this thread. Perhaps Eric can update it for
                      us. ;) In short though, Win95/98/ME use command.exe and WinNT
                      (and I'm pretty sure Win2000) uses cmd.exe:

                      Eric wrote:
                      ^!DOS is similar to ^! except that the appropriate shell is invoked
                      (command.com for Win95 and cmd.exe for WinNT) with the /c parameter.

                      ^!RUN uses the old Windows function call to launch applications.
                      Although it should be similar to ^!, it sometimes works better to
                      launch some programs with this method.

                      Somebody posted:
                      > I've noticed that NTP 4.82 and the betas of 4.83 sometimes get
                      > stuck when running the ^$GetOutput()$ and ^$GetDosOutput$
                      > commands under Win ME. For example, the simple
                      >
                      > ^!GetDosOutput("set")$
                      >
                      > command always produces this problem (works fine in 9x and NT).

                      I think I may have found an explanation for this now. It seems that
                      Windows ME uses Cmd.exe to open a DOS shell rather than Command.com.
                      Could you try the following to see if it works on your computer?

                      ^$GetOutput("cmd.exe /c set")$

                      > Unfortunately I don't have cmd.exe on my Win Me computer and I
                      > have almost all Windows components installed.

                      I noticed that the explanation I found about cmd.exe was misleading.
                      Only NT uses that. WinME still uses command.com to open DOS
                      sessions. Sorry about that.

                      Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on my
                      Win95 machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir). It used
                      to work fine before and it still works on my Win98 machine.
                      Obviously, something has changed on my system that affects this
                      feature. There must be some settings that control how DOS sessions
                      work, but I can't figure out what these are.

                      ---

                      I will add the following also:

                      Shell
                      ^!Shell CommandLine (added in v4.82)
                      Launches the specified file, program, or URL through the Windows
                      shell. Proposed as a replacement for the default "^!" launch
                      method. Example: instead of using "^!WordPad c:\autoexec.bat",
                      use "^!Shell WordPad c:\autoexec.bat"

                      ShellWait

                      ^!ShellWait CommandLine (added in v4.82)
                      Similar to the ^!Shell command, but waits until the launched
                      program is terminated before moving to the next Clip instruction.
                      Unlike the ^!Wait command, you can continue editing files in
                      NoteTab while the application is running. Example:
                      ^!ShellWait WordPad c:\autoexec.bat

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                        Hi all,

                        Thanks Jody for the updated info.

                        Oops in following, a hard return must have accidentally gotten deleted

                        > >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                        > >^!cmd.exe
                        > >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                        Oops, was an even bigger booboo, clumsy fingered (on the keyboard) me, one or two lines was missing and several lines were run together. So here's the runPerl_CurrDoc clip again. 'twas wrong before, It is right (at least as it formerly had worked for me the last time that I used the clip) this time

                        H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
                        ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
                        ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
                        ^!Goto Exit
                        ^!Set %curdoc%=^**
                        ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                        ^!cmd.exe
                        ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
                        ^!Delay 3
                        ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
                        ;--<end of clip<<

                        (the above had worked on an NT system with not winnt as the dir but windows as the dir instead) that setup has since the HD been formatted.

                        I currently do not have Perl installed on any of my systems. But as soon as I finish some other projects, that will change and I'll use the clip again in my Perl learning effort/experience.

                        Alan.
                      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                          On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:45:27 -0500,
                          "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                          >Wayne
                          >
                          >I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl
                          >as I described in my previous message but even that didn't
                          >help. Would you post a simple example that I might try to
                          >follow?
                          >
                          >Thank you,
                          >
                          >Ray Shapp

                          I will, but I need some time to get other things done first.

                          I have posted _many_ examples in the past (some over a year
                          ago), before the list was moved to egroups (and then to
                          yahoogroups). I'll dig through my personal archives to see
                          what I can find and repost them.

                          I also need to release an update to NoteAwk, as a few minor
                          bugs have since been found, and some clips no longer work
                          correctly with the current version of NoteTab. I'll take
                          it of this as soon as possible.

                          --
                          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen