Highlighting text for programs

  • funkay@email.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hi. Can Notetab be configured to highlight text based on the filename
      extension? This is a nice feature for the HTML, it would extra-nice
      for other things like Perl, C++, etc? I heard that VI can do this
      and I'm convinced that Notetab is more customizable than VI.
      Somebody prove me right :P

      Thanks :)
      Joe
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2001
        Hi Joe,

        >Hi. Can Notetab be configured to highlight text based on the
        >filename extension? This is a nice feature for the HTML, it would
        >extra-nice for other things like Perl, C++, etc? I heard that VI
        >can do this and I'm convinced that Notetab is more customizable
        >than VI. Somebody prove me right :P

        NoteTab is 10 times the program of the simple Linux VIM, but
        let's not get into that less it be on the Off-Topic list. It is
        true that some editors have a few features that NoteTab will not
        have until version five, but overall, there is not an editor that
        surpasses NoteTab and I have used it for over 4-5 years now. I
        do check out the other versions every now and then, but have
        always found them to fall short - although here are some
        excellent editors out there.

        Customizable syntax highlighting is coming in v5 along with a
        large number of fantastic other features that will put NoteTab
        leaps and bounds beyond the competition. One could not say
        because this or that editor has this certain one feature that it
        is a better editor. Sometimes, it just comes down to personal
        preference. How much functionality, customization, power, etc.,
        do you need?

        I do speak as a user and not support@.... I was a user
        for 3 years before support (plus 2 years mailing lists?) and on
        these mailing lists of mine (not Fookes Software) I mainly speak
        as a user! Others will testify, or simply go read the
        testimonials below and don't miss the one about the guy not going
        to Linux because NoteTab is holding him back, although I think it
        will run under Wine. ;)

        Happy Tab'n,
        Jody Adair

        NoteTab Text Editors The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
        http://www.notetab.com http://www.notetab.net

        Testimonials
        http://www.notetab.com/testimonials.htm
      • wheeler54321@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2001
          > Customizable syntax highlighting is coming in v5 along with a
          > large number of fantastic other features that will put NoteTab
          > leaps and bounds beyond the competition. One could not say
          > because this or that editor has this certain one feature that it
          > is a better editor. Sometimes, it just comes down to personal
          > preference. How much functionality, customization, power, etc.,
          > do you need?

          Well, the only difference between NoteTab and any other editors is
          that:
          -->>NoteTab makes me look GOOD<<-- ^$AtAllTimes$. ;)
          _______
          wheeler
        • Piotr Bienkowski
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28, 2001
            On 28 Feb 2001, at 17:07, Jody wrote:

            > NoteTab is 10 times the program of the simple Linux VIM, but
            > let's not get into that less it be on the Off-Topic list.

            Yes, there's two things that stop me from pupulating my system with
            other text processing tools. NoteTab Pro and Perl. They work
            excellent hand in hand.

            > Customizable syntax highlighting is coming in v5 along with a
            > large number of fantastic other features that will put NoteTab
            > leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

            I just can't wait for that. Any clues when it might be due for
            release?

            Regards,

            Piotr BieĊ„kowski
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1 8:41 AM
              Hi Piotr and Others,

              >> Customizable syntax highlighting is coming in v5 along with a
              >> large number of fantastic other features that will put NoteTab
              >> leaps and bounds beyond the competition.
              >
              >I just can't wait for that. Any clues when it might be due for
              >release?

              We all, well, at least a lot of us have been waiting for quite
              awhile. It will still be a while yet though. Eric is currently
              upgrading Album Express (AE) and will do a minor upgrade to
              MailBag Assistant (MBA) after that if he does not change his mind
              which could very well happen. :) How's that for a definite
              answer? <bg> http://www.fookes.com/products.htm

              There were plans for a fast editor/reader geared towards
              programmers. I can't say if that is still in line after AE and
              MBA or not. Even if it is, a lot of the code will/can be used in
              v5 of NoteTab Pro/Std. He has also been rewriting some of
              NoteTab's Libraries, or ones that are used in all his software in
              Delphi 5 so, in a way, v5 of the 'Tab has been worked on some.
              As far as a release date, I won't attempt to even give an "about
              date" other than to say it is a ways off yet.

              http://www.notetab.net

              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
            • wheeler54321@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1 9:26 AM
                --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@n...> wrote:

                > Yes, there's two things that stop me from pupulating my system with
                > other text processing tools. NoteTab Pro and Perl. They work
                > excellent hand in hand.

                Yep! I just hope that our NoteTab Clippers find some time to learn
                just a little bit about Perl. Lots of those clips I see on this list
                is way more intense than Perl. I do not mean to take anybody away
                from writing beautiful clips. However, NoteTab supports Perl
                admirably - why not take full advantage of it.

                See for yourself - check out the "samples" library that comes with
                NoteTab and the "Perl Script", "_Perl NumLines" clips.

                While you are at it:
                http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/perl_clb.zip

                Well, I truly cannot wait for Perl highlighting in NoteTab 5.

                _______
                wheeler
                If I can't do it, NoteTab/Perl can
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 4:00 PM
                  Wheeler and Piotr

                  I tried a while back to get perl to work (launch) from NT but I gave up.
                  Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
                  have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I
                  FTP them to my ISP and invoke them from HTML pages.) Most of the perl
                  scripts process input from the HTML Form function. Some to table look-ups
                  and some do math. Most scripts build new HTML pages and present their
                  output on the new pages. The perl interpreter on my local PC is ActivePerl
                  from ActiveState Tool Corp.

                  I got really discouraged about using NT to develop perl scripts when someone
                  on this board told me I'd need a copy of Apache running on my computer to
                  debug and
                  run perl scripts.

                  I'm probably making some simple systematic error. Would either or both of
                  you post a few simple examples of perl scripts and post with them the
                  instructions to launch them from NT, please?

                  Thanks for your help,

                  Ray Shapp
                  Watchung, NJ
                • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1 11:09 PM
                    On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:00:29 -0500,
                    "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                    >I got really discouraged about using NoteTab to develop Perl
                    >scripts when someone on this board told me I'd need a copy of
                    >Apache running on my computer to debug and run perl scripts.

                    That someone gave you the wrong answer.

                    Perl was originally designed as a text file manipulation language.
                    It is still exceptionally good for this purpose.

                    It later become popular as a language for CGI programming to
                    support dynamic web pages, especially pages that need to
                    communicate with database servers. When testing CGI pages,
                    Apache can be helpful. Although depending on the circumstances,
                    may not be necessary.

                    But for other tasks, such as making changes to text files,
                    ActivePerl works fine just by itself.

                    Perl is a versatile language that can be used to fill wide
                    variety of tasks. It is designed so that programs can be
                    written quickly, in fact it is often considered one of the
                    better "Rapid Application Development" languages. Perl
                    is a "get the job done" sort of language, not meant for
                    polished applications or for writing commercial software,
                    but rather as a quick solution for handling practical tasks.

                    NoteTab, with clipbook called NoteAwk, makes it even easier
                    to work with Perl.

                    --
                    Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3 1:45 AM
                      Wayne

                      I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl as I described in
                      my previous message but even that didn't help. Would you post a simple
                      example that I might try to follow?

                      Thank you,

                      Ray Shapp
                    • Don Passenger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3 5:54 AM
                        I have had modest luck with noteawk myself.
                        I do have it so that it tests the syntax of a script which is a HUGE plus.
                        I keep an window open in dos to run the scripts though as I have not had
                        consistent luck running them directly out of notetab. I get an error often.

                        A lot of the pages I do are meant to render a web page on the fly. I seem
                        to have better luck running a script that will modify another file or that
                        sort of thing. I assume I probably need some type of self server for the
                        former. Maybe therein lies the confusion?

                        I also find I don't see what a clip in the noteawk library is supposed to
                        do. Some of them are not intuitive to me. I know I take it as a begger,
                        but a "user" read-me would help -- and if it is there I have not come across
                        it.

                        ---
                        Don Passenger
                        > I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl as I described
                        in
                        > my previous message but even that didn't help. Would you post a simple
                        > example that I might try to follow?
                        >
                        > Thank you,
                        >
                        > Ray Shapp

                      • Alan C.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3 1:11 PM
                          Hi Ray,

                          >Yes, I can run the line numbering perl program in the samples library, but I
                          >have never been able to get any of MY perl programs to run. (To run perl, I

                          The line numbering uses two clips, one of them (the clip with the grey header) is called from the first clip. The "Perl script" (1st clip) appears to me it is an actual NoteTab "Clip" while the 2nd ("PerlNumLines") looks like it is a Perl type of script language, not a NoteTab "Clip" language.

                          So, it appears to me that was just one method of calling up a Perl script, demonstrated in the SampleCode library. Since it worked for you . . . then perhaps the issue surrounds the mechanics of "how do you call up a Perl script on your computer" But for list topic purpose, I share a clip in the following

                          and the following is just one method of even several more methods with which to call up (execute) a perl file.

                          I don't know what you need or what you are looking for. But, just to share, an experience that worked/succeeded for me (yeah!!) as follows.

                          I'm a beginner on Perl. And I noticed some of the beginner Perl files are with .plx file extension, not .pl file extension. Nonetheless, they run on activestate perl.

                          As follows, mainly, I have 2 items portrayed. One is a clip. The 2nd is a Perl (.plx) file. The clip, when launched, the clip activates or runs a Perl script that is opened as the current document in NoteTab.

                          **Key: So, you must have a .plx file opened and currently focused in NoteTab then you run the clip.

                          when used in combination, the following (clip and .plx file) calls up a simple perl file which prints to the console window, reports "Hello World" (wihout the quotes)

                          In the perlstuff below, copy everything between (do not copy the quoted start and end lines) the start and end lines and save it to a file named ch1a.plx

                          then, open ch1a.plx in NoteTab. then launch the clip.

                          H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
                          ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
                          ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
                          ^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                          ^!cmd.exe
                          ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
                          ^!Set %curdoc%=^**

                          ^!Delay 3
                          ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
                          ;--<end of clip<<

                          In the above clip, the following lines

                          ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                          ^!cmd.exe
                          ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                          might need to be

                          ^!IfAppOpen "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                          ^!cmd.exe
                          ^!FocusApp "C:\winnt\System32\cmd.exe"

                          Because, essentially, you'll need the path to cmd.exe in there is what you will need. You might get by with just "cmd.exe" in those two path statements.

                          Perlstuff follows.

                          "perl start"
                          # ch1a

                          print ("Hello, world!\n");
                          "perl end"

                          Regards, Alan.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 3 7:49 PM
                            Hi Alan, Ray and Others,

                            >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                            >^!cmd.exe
                            >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                            I thought maybe with all the different Windows systems out now
                            the following bits and pieces posted by Eric in the past may be
                            helpful for you on this thread. Perhaps Eric can update it for
                            us. ;) In short though, Win95/98/ME use command.exe and WinNT
                            (and I'm pretty sure Win2000) uses cmd.exe:

                            Eric wrote:
                            ^!DOS is similar to ^! except that the appropriate shell is invoked
                            (command.com for Win95 and cmd.exe for WinNT) with the /c parameter.

                            ^!RUN uses the old Windows function call to launch applications.
                            Although it should be similar to ^!, it sometimes works better to
                            launch some programs with this method.

                            Somebody posted:
                            > I've noticed that NTP 4.82 and the betas of 4.83 sometimes get
                            > stuck when running the ^$GetOutput()$ and ^$GetDosOutput$
                            > commands under Win ME. For example, the simple
                            >
                            > ^!GetDosOutput("set")$
                            >
                            > command always produces this problem (works fine in 9x and NT).

                            I think I may have found an explanation for this now. It seems that
                            Windows ME uses Cmd.exe to open a DOS shell rather than Command.com.
                            Could you try the following to see if it works on your computer?

                            ^$GetOutput("cmd.exe /c set")$

                            > Unfortunately I don't have cmd.exe on my Win Me computer and I
                            > have almost all Windows components installed.

                            I noticed that the explanation I found about cmd.exe was misleading.
                            Only NT uses that. WinME still uses command.com to open DOS
                            sessions. Sorry about that.

                            Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on my
                            Win95 machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir). It used
                            to work fine before and it still works on my Win98 machine.
                            Obviously, something has changed on my system that affects this
                            feature. There must be some settings that control how DOS sessions
                            work, but I can't figure out what these are.

                            ---

                            I will add the following also:

                            Shell
                            ^!Shell CommandLine (added in v4.82)
                            Launches the specified file, program, or URL through the Windows
                            shell. Proposed as a replacement for the default "^!" launch
                            method. Example: instead of using "^!WordPad c:\autoexec.bat",
                            use "^!Shell WordPad c:\autoexec.bat"

                            ShellWait

                            ^!ShellWait CommandLine (added in v4.82)
                            Similar to the ^!Shell command, but waits until the launched
                            program is terminated before moving to the next Clip instruction.
                            Unlike the ^!Wait command, you can continue editing files in
                            NoteTab while the application is running. Example:
                            ^!ShellWait WordPad c:\autoexec.bat

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 3 9:13 PM
                              Hi all,

                              Thanks Jody for the updated info.

                              Oops in following, a hard return must have accidentally gotten deleted

                              > >^!Goto Exit^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                              > >^!cmd.exe
                              > >^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"

                              Oops, was an even bigger booboo, clumsy fingered (on the keyboard) me, one or two lines was missing and several lines were run together. So here's the runPerl_CurrDoc clip again. 'twas wrong before, It is right (at least as it formerly had worked for me the last time that I used the clip) this time

                              H="runPerl_CurrDoc"
                              ^!IfSame ^$Getext(^**)$ .plx Skip_2
                              ^!Info [L]^**^%nl% is not a .plx file. So, END
                              ^!Goto Exit
                              ^!Set %curdoc%=^**
                              ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip
                              ^!cmd.exe
                              ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
                              ^!Delay 3
                              ^!Keyboard #perl ^%curdoc%# ENTER
                              ;--<end of clip<<

                              (the above had worked on an NT system with not winnt as the dir but windows as the dir instead) that setup has since the HD been formatted.

                              I currently do not have Perl installed on any of my systems. But as soon as I finish some other projects, that will change and I'll use the clip again in my Perl learning effort/experience.

                              Alan.
                            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5 12:40 AM
                                On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:45:27 -0500,
                                "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                                >Wayne
                                >
                                >I did download NoteAwk back when I was trying to use perl
                                >as I described in my previous message but even that didn't
                                >help. Would you post a simple example that I might try to
                                >follow?
                                >
                                >Thank you,
                                >
                                >Ray Shapp

                                I will, but I need some time to get other things done first.

                                I have posted _many_ examples in the past (some over a year
                                ago), before the list was moved to egroups (and then to
                                yahoogroups). I'll dig through my personal archives to see
                                what I can find and repost them.

                                I also need to release an update to NoteAwk, as a few minor
                                bugs have since been found, and some clips no longer work
                                correctly with the current version of NoteTab. I'll take
                                it of this as soon as possible.

                                --
                                Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen