Editing Python scripts

  • Kent Tenney
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
      Howdy,

      What is the preferred method for editing scripts, sending them to
      the interpreter, and viewing the output of the script?

      I am new to both NoteTab and Python.

      Thanks, Kent
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi kent
        > > What is the preferred method for editing scripts, sending them
        > > to the interpreter, and viewing the output of the script?
        This should get you started

        You can grab the output of a python script with notetabs
        ^$GetOutput()$ method

        H= pythonHelloWorldTest
        ;name the script to be placed in ntabs script folder
        ^!Set %PyFile%=^$getScriptPath()$test.py
        ^!Toolbar new document
        ;the 2 line python script
        print "hello hello"
        print "is that parrot dead monty?"
        ^!Save as ^%PyFile%
        ;run python script and get output
        ^!INFO ^$GetOutput(python "^%PyFile%")$
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
          > Thanks for the help, it brings up a couple questions.
          >
          > How do I send the name of the current file instead of ^%PyFile% in
          > ^!INFO ^$GetOutput(python "^%PyFile%")$

          You must have saved the python script you are working on with .py ext of
          course
          Then ^$GetDocName()$ gets the name of the current file.
          So the following will send the current file to the python interpretor

          ^!Set %PyFile%=^$GetDocName()$
          ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python ^%PyFile%)$

          > Where is info on the function ^$getScriptPath()$

          In the help file i hope.
          Its just a folder in the ntab dir and is handy place to chuck your scripts,
          it serves no other intrinsic purpose.

          The active python distribution comes with a active x scripting engine
          (Python AXScript Engine) which you can use to run pythonScript in the wsh.
          Note the pys extension.

          H=pysInHost
          ^!Set %PyFile%=^$getScriptPath()$testingWSH.pys
          ^!Toolbar new document
          ;a 2 line python script
          import sys
          WScript.Echo("python version", sys.version)
          ^!Save as ^%PyFile%
          ;run python script in wsh host and get output
          ^!INFO ^$GetOutput(cscript "^%PyFile%")$
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
            Hi Kent,

            > What is the preferred method for editing scripts, sending them
            > to the interpreter, and viewing the output of the script?

            For help with Python you need to post on the Off-Topic list for
            it, but you should be able to figure out what you need from the
            following.

            I like to use the clip Editor for editing and writing scripts.
            Right click over any Clip in a Library and click on "Edit Clip."
            Also see "Add New Clip" and "Add from Clipboard".

            Scripts have all different kinds of "outputs" depending on what
            you are trying to do and with what and what OS you are using.
            You might take a look at the following for the output of apps:

            ^$GetDosOutput("Command")$
            Example: ^$GetOutput(dir c:\*.*)$
            ^$GetOutput("Command")$
            Example: ^$GetOutput(command.com /c dir c:\*.*)$

            <--- Copy below this line --->
            H=Peekers ;)
            ; Last Updated 02-02-2001, Sojourner@..., jody
            ; Set these in places in your script to stop the script
            ; until you take action. You can use ^!Continue, ^!Info,
            ; ^!Prompt... to "peek" at a Clip while running.

            ^!Set %Hi%=Hello World!
            ^!Continue ^%Hi%
            ^!Info ^%Hi%
            ^!Prompt ^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Next else Exit
            ^!Info Right click for a content menu.

            <--- Copy above this line, right --->
            <--- click over a Library, and --->
            <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

            http://www.notetab.net

            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
              And now for something completely different! LOL!

              On 1 Feb 2001, at 23:34, Grant wrote:
              > ;the 2 line python script
              > print "hello hello"
              > print "is that parrot dead monty?"

              Larry Hamilton, Jr.
              lm_hamilton@...
              http://notlimah.tripod.com/
              http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
            • Kent Tenney
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
                Thanks for the help, it brings up a couple questions.

                How do I send the name of the current file instead of ^%PyFile% in
                ^!INFO ^$GetOutput(python "^%PyFile%")$

                Where is info on the function ^$getScriptPath()$

                Thanks,
                Kent

                Hi kent

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Hi Kent,

                  Grant might give you the whole thing, but here ya go...

                  >How do I send the name of the current file instead of ^%PyFile% in
                  >^!INFO ^$GetOutput(python "^%PyFile%")$

                  GetInputOutput
                  ^$GetInputOutput("Command")$

                  Launches the console program specified by "Command" and sends the
                  current document text to the StdInput data stream. The function
                  returns the console's StdOutput data stream. The stderr stream is
                  saved in file called "StdError.err" in NoteTab's application
                  directory unless another file is specified with the
                  SetStdErrorName command. This command is only available in the
                  commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

                  Try something like these:

                  ; ^** = path to focused unsaved document if exists otherwise
                  ; the path to the focused doc in saved state
                  ^!Set %File%=^**
                  ^!Info ^$GetInputOutput(python "^%File%")$

                  ^!Set %File%=^?[(T=O)Get file path]
                  ^!Info ^$GetInputOutput(python "^%File%")$

                  > Where is info on the function ^$getScriptPath()$

                  In Help under Clip Language - Disk Directories (I searched for
                  GetScript under the Find tab). I'm not sure why Grant through in
                  the "()" in the function except for you can do that in functions
                  that don't normally have them.

                  ^$GetScriptPath$
                  Returns the path for NoteTab script files (e.g. AWK, Perl, etc.;
                  always ends with backslash).

                  I still use Wayne's Cross Reference which I try to update with
                  commands and functions it is not all of them. Wayne has some
                  nice Libraries at his site NoteAwk being the most talked about
                  after the Cross Reference. ;)

                  http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html
                  http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/ntr460.zip

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Hi Grant,

                    >> Where is info on the function ^$getScriptPath()$
                    >
                    >In the help file i hope.

                    It's in there, but do you add the parenthesis for anything
                    special other than to keep Jody scratching his head? :)

                    I suppose I will have to break down and install my VBscript
                    stuff so I can try out your scripts.