Re: [Clip] templates headers

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi Harvey,

      >I have a question about .tpl files. The 4 entries below are
      >examples from NoteTab help.
      >
      >I wonder if it's possible to pass clip variables to a template
      >header somewhat like this,
      >
      >= DocTemplate clipcode "^%fs_dir%\^%#index%.html",

      Templates are not my cup of tea. If variables are suppose to
      work in templates on the first line, they do not from what I
      remember from a month or so ago while playing with them.
    • Elizabeth Wild
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        I played around quite a bit with templates a couple of months ago. I did not figure out a a way to do what you are asking, but I did figure out a couple of things that
        might help.

        1) I could not manage to pass a variable from a clip to a template. However, if I could use ^!SaveValue in the clip, and ^$GetValue()$ in the template to do much
        the same thing.

        2) Using the above method for transferring variables, I would at some point in the clipcode of the template use ^!Save AS (and then use my variables to name this
        document).

        I would give you an example, but alas I am at work and the code is at home. Let me know if you would like to see the code.

        Hope this helps.

        Elizabeth Wild
        ewild@...

        >= DocTemplate clipcode "^%fs_dir%\^%#index%.html",
        >

        >so the template loadiing would create a copy of itself using a
        >filename passed in variables something like this,
        >
        >= DocTemplate "D:\bc-web\lists\2003.html"
        >
        >I've tried several combinations of headers but haven't tried 1
        >that worked yet.

      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          Elizabeth Wild wrote:

          > I played around quite a bit with templates a couple of months ago. I did not figure out a a way to do what you are asking, but I did figure out a couple of things that
          > might help.
          >
          > 1) I could not manage to pass a variable from a clip to a template. However, if I could use ^!SaveValue in the clip, and ^$GetValue()$ in the template to do much
          > the same thing.
          >
          > 2) Using the above method for transferring variables, I would at some point in the clipcode of the template use ^!Save AS (and then use my variables to name this
          > document).
          >
          > I would give you an example, but alas I am at work and the code is at home. Let me know if you would like to see the code.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Elizabeth Wild
          > ewild@...

          Thanks Elizabeth,

          This method does sound promising. I'll give it an earnest try.

          Actually, what I am attempting I have already done using another
          method that works flawlessly but I started investigating the
          possibility of using a tpl file... You know "the rest of the
          story" I'm sure.

          hrs