templates headers

  • hsavage@shawneelink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      I have a question about .tpl files. The 4 entries below are
      examples from NoteTab help.

      = DocTemplate "Notes%0.3d.txt"
      = DocTemplate ClipCode "Home%0.3d.htm"
      = DocTemplate ClipCode "Notes-^$GetDate(yyyymmdd)$-%0.3d.txt"
      = DocTemplate ClipCode "^$GetScriptPath$FTP%0.3d.scr"

      I wonder if it's possible to pass clip variables to a template
      header somewhat like this,

      = DocTemplate clipcode "^%fs_dir%\^%#index%.html",

      so the template loadiing would create a copy of itself using a
      filename passed in variables something like this,

      = DocTemplate "D:\bc-web\lists\2003.html"

      I've tried several combinations of headers but haven't tried 1
      that worked yet.

      hrs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
        Hi Harvey,

        >I have a question about .tpl files. The 4 entries below are
        >examples from NoteTab help.
        >
        >I wonder if it's possible to pass clip variables to a template
        >header somewhat like this,
        >
        >= DocTemplate clipcode "^%fs_dir%\^%#index%.html",

        Templates are not my cup of tea. If variables are suppose to
        work in templates on the first line, they do not from what I
        remember from a month or so ago while playing with them.
      • Elizabeth Wild
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          I played around quite a bit with templates a couple of months ago. I did not figure out a a way to do what you are asking, but I did figure out a couple of things that
          might help.

          1) I could not manage to pass a variable from a clip to a template. However, if I could use ^!SaveValue in the clip, and ^$GetValue()$ in the template to do much
          the same thing.

          2) Using the above method for transferring variables, I would at some point in the clipcode of the template use ^!Save AS (and then use my variables to name this
          document).

          I would give you an example, but alas I am at work and the code is at home. Let me know if you would like to see the code.

          Hope this helps.

          Elizabeth Wild
          ewild@...

          >= DocTemplate clipcode "^%fs_dir%\^%#index%.html",
          >

          >so the template loadiing would create a copy of itself using a
          >filename passed in variables something like this,
          >
          >= DocTemplate "D:\bc-web\lists\2003.html"
          >
          >I've tried several combinations of headers but haven't tried 1
          >that worked yet.

        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            Elizabeth Wild wrote:

            > I played around quite a bit with templates a couple of months ago. I did not figure out a a way to do what you are asking, but I did figure out a couple of things that
            > might help.
            >
            > 1) I could not manage to pass a variable from a clip to a template. However, if I could use ^!SaveValue in the clip, and ^$GetValue()$ in the template to do much
            > the same thing.
            >
            > 2) Using the above method for transferring variables, I would at some point in the clipcode of the template use ^!Save AS (and then use my variables to name this
            > document).
            >
            > I would give you an example, but alas I am at work and the code is at home. Let me know if you would like to see the code.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Elizabeth Wild
            > ewild@...

            Thanks Elizabeth,

            This method does sound promising. I'll give it an earnest try.

            Actually, what I am attempting I have already done using another
            method that works flawlessly but I started investigating the
            possibility of using a tpl file... You know "the rest of the
            story" I'm sure.

            hrs