GetDosOutput Question.

  • Charles M. Raine
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
      Hi:

      The following clip used to work under previous versions of NoteTab,
      but no longer works.

      H="Display Set"
      ^!Info ^$GetDosOutput("set")$

      Why does it no longer work?
      Thanks.

      Charlie
      -- Charles M. Raine, rainec@... on 01/25/2001

      -- Home Page: http://www.mts.net/~rainec/
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
        Hi Charlie,

        >The following clip used to work under previous versions of NoteTab,
        >but no longer works.
        >
        >H="Display Set"
        >^!Info ^$GetDosOutput("set")$
        >

        >Why does it no longer work?

        Still works on my machine (NT4, SR6). With or without quotes.
        However, if you have no environment variables set, such as
        in a window that did not inherit the environment, that clip
        command will produce an error "no output" or some such.

        Regards,

        Eb
      • Piotr Bienkowski
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2001
          On 25 Jan 2001, at 15:18, Eb Guenther wrote:

          > >The following clip used to work under previous versions of NoteTab,
          > >but no longer works.
          > >
          > >H="Display Set"
          > >^!Info ^$GetDosOutput("set")$
          > >

          > >Why does it no longer work?
          >
          > Still works on my machine (NT4, SR6). With or without quotes.
          > However, if you have no environment variables set, such as
          > in a window that did not inherit the environment, that clip
          > command will produce an error "no output" or some such.

          Hi,

          I dug up this message from aeons ago as I am having the same problem
          with any DOS command used with GetDosOutput, for example dir.

          I get the following message: "No output produced by
          c:\windows\command.com /c dir..."

          although I do not use the c:\windows\command.com part in my clip
          command.

          Any clues on how to make it work?

          I would like to assign the results of the dir command to a variable
          for further processing. THis would seem pretty easy, like

          ^!Set %katalogi%=^$GetDosOutput(dir g:\mojedo~1\argos\*.* /AD /B /ON)$

          were it not for the error message.

          I use NoteTab Pro 4.85 and Win 95 ver 4.00.1111

          Your help will be appreciated.

          Piotr
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2001
            Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

            > On 25 Jan 2001, at 15:18, Eb Guenther wrote:
            >
            > > >The following clip used to work under previous versions of NoteTab,
            > > >but no longer works.
            > > >
            > > >H="Display Set"
            > > >^!Info ^$GetDosOutput("set")$
            > > >
            > > >Why does it no longer work?
            > >
            > > Still works on my machine (NT4, SR6). With or without quotes.
            > > However, if you have no environment variables set, such as
            > > in a window that did not inherit the environment, that clip
            > > command will produce an error "no output" or some such.

            > Hi,
            >
            > I get the following message: "No output produced by
            > c:\windows\command.com /c dir..."
            >
            > although I do not use the c:\windows\command.com part in my clip
            > command.
            >
            > Any clues on how to make it work?
            >
            > I would like to assign the results of the dir command to a variable
            > for further processing. THis would seem pretty easy, like
            >
            > ^!Set %katalogi%=^$GetDosOutput(dir g:\mojedo~1\argos\*.* /AD /B /ON)$
            >
            > were it not for the error message.
            >
            > I use NoteTab Pro 4.85 and Win 95 ver 4.00.1111
            >
            > Your help will be appreciated.
            >
            > Piotr

            Piotr and Eb,

            I tried three different ^$GetDosOutput(...)$ commands. All 3
            work in the following configuration;

            ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(set)$
            ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(dir /-p)$
            ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(dir d:\progra~1\ntp\clipba~1 /ad/b/on)$

            !!!Notice!!! No spaces between the command line switches and
            although I prefer lower almost entirely uppercase works also.
            When I omitted the spaces the 3rd command started working. There
            must be a sub-folder or the 3rd command errors out because of the
            switch /ad .

            Win98 SE
            Athlon 840Mhz
            256m ram
            40GB hard drive

            hrs
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2001
              Harvey R Savage wrote:

              > Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
              > >
              > > On 25 Jan 2001, at 15:18, Eb Guenther wrote:
              > >
              > Piotr and Eb,
              >
              > I tried three different ^$GetDosOutput(...)$ commands. All 3
              > work in the following configuration;
              >
              > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(set)$
              > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(dir /-p)$
              > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(dir d:\progra~1\ntp\clipba~1 /ad/b/on)$
              >
              > !!!Notice!!! No spaces between the command line switches and
              > although I prefer lower almost entirely uppercase works also.
              > When I omitted the spaces the 3rd command started working. There
              > must be a sub-folder or the 3rd command errors out because of the
              > switch /ad .
              >
              > Win98 SE
              > Athlon 840Mhz
              > 256m ram
              > 40GB hard drive
              >
              > hrs

              Hi again,

              This form also works with dos output,

              ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput(dir ^$GetShort(d:\program files\ntp\clip
              basics\*.*)$ /ad/b/on)$

              hrs
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2001
                Hi All,

                Perhaps it is OS specific. Eric wrote the following. Read both
                before trying. ;) p1 of 2

                >I've noticed that NTP 4.82 and the betas of 4.83 sometimes get stuck
                >when running the ^$GetOutput()$ and ^$GetDosOutput$ commands under
                >Win ME. For example, the simple
                >
                >^!GetDosOutput("set")$
                >
                >command always produces this problem (works fine in 9x and NT).

                I think I may have found an explanation for this now. It seems that Windows
                ME uses Cmd.exe to open a DOS shell rather than Command.com. Could you try
                the following to see if it works on your computer?

                ^$GetOutput("cmd.exe /c set")$

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes

                http://www.notetab.net

                http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2001
                  Hi All,

                  2 of 2 taken from ntb-NextRelease:

                  To: ntb-NextRelease@egroups.com
                  From: "Eric G.V. Fookes" <fookes@...>
                  Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:25:10 +0200
                  Subject: Re: [NRN] ^$GetDosOutput("command")$ and Win ME problem

                  > > >I think I may have found an explanation for this now. It seems that
                  > > >Windows ME uses Cmd.exe to open a DOS shell rather than Command.com.
                  > > >Could you try the following to see if it works on your computer?
                  > >
                  > >^$GetOutput("cmd.exe /c set")$
                  >
                  >Unfortunately I don't have cmd.exe on my Win Me computer and I have almost
                  >all Windows components installed.

                  I noticed that the explanation I found about cmd.exe was misleading. Only
                  NT uses that. WinME still uses command.com to open DOS sessions. Sorry
                  about that.

                  Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on my Win95
                  machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir). It used to work fine
                  before and it still works on my Win98 machine. Obviously, something has
                  changed on my system that affects this feature. There must be some settings
                  that control how DOS sessions work, but I can't figure out what these are.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 27, 2001
                    On 27 Jun 2001, at 16:55, Jody wrote:

                    > Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on my Win95
                    > machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir). It used to work
                    > fine before and it still works on my Win98 machine.

                    So it seems i's high time I abandon W95.

                    Regards,

                    Piotr Bieńkowski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2001
                      Hi Piotr,

                      >> Oddly enough, I can't use the GetDosOutput command anymore on
                      >> my Win95 machine with command.com commands (like Set and Dir).
                      >> It used to work fine before and it still works on my Win98
                      >> machine.
                      >
                      >So it seems i's high time I abandon W95.

                      Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people on 3.xx. ;)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 28, 2001
                        On 28 Jun 2001, at 2:02, Jody wrote:

                        > >So it seems i's high time I abandon W95.
                        >
                        > Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people on 3.xx. ;)

                        But they can't run NoteTab on it?

                        P.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 28, 2001
                          Hi Piotr,

                          >> >So it seems i's high time I abandon W95.
                          >>
                          >> Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people on 3.xx. ;)
                          >>
                          >But they can't run NoteTab on it?

                          Not Pro, Std, or Light, so I refer them to miniNotetab (16bit). It
                          has the file size limitation like Notepad and a very limited set of
                          Clipbook commands. It sure beats Notepad though.