Re: [Clip] Subject: Re: Need to extract surnames

  • Eb Guenther
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
      Hi Hugo, Martha,

      Let me re post the entire, corrected clip, with an ^!Info inserted to stop
      for each found name, AND this is a freshly tested version <g>.

      H=GetNameFromHtml
      :loop
      ^!Find <TD [^/]+>[^,]+,[^<]*</TD> RSI
      ^!IfError Done
      ^!Set %name%=^$StrStripHTML("^$GetSelection$";0)$
      ^!Set %Lname%=^$StrCopy(^%name%;1;^$StrPos(",";^%name%;1)$)$
      ^!Set %Lname%=^$StrDeleteRight(^%Lname%;1)$
      ^!Info [L]Name found: ^%Lname%
      ;replace above with "^!InsertText ^%Lname%^%NL%
      ^!Goto loop
      :Done

      This clip works on NT, and Windows 95 (OEM).

      h.paulissen wrote:
      > > Harvey suggested. It takes soooo long. I was just hoping
      >there was an easier way.

      Just replace the ^!Info tag with your procedure for processing the name.

      >The two other suggestions (Eb's corrected version did not
      >work for me either)

      Hugo, Could you please do me a favor and try the above clip again, and if
      it doesn't work, post what platform you tested it on? I want to know about
      any platform issues relating to regular expressions, and I'm sure Eric
      does, too.

      Thanks,

      Eb
    • Martha Hambrick Harrell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
        Thank you very much, Hugh! It worked like a charm! :>)

        Martha

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2001
          Hi Eb

          >^!Find <TD [^/]+>[^,]+,[^<]*</TD> RSI

          >Hugo, Could you please do me a favor and try the above clip again, and if
          >it doesn't work, post what platform you tested it on? I want to know about
          >any platform issues relating to regular expressions, and I'm sure Eric
          >does, too.

          I find regular expressions very slow and only use them when there is no other way. I did one the other days that took about 5 minutes compared to NoteTab's code and by the tine id was done a I showed 4KB of resources have to reboot to get them back. NoteTab's code took about 50KB and I got that back on a restart of NoteTab.

          http://www.notetab.net

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2001
            Hello Eb,

            There was nothing wrong with your clip: the original just found the
            names, but didn't show them. Your version with the Info/Insert line
            deals with that.

            So, the clip works on Windows 98 as well.

            Hugo