extract color from web page

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
      Goal: from ntp, select a color for font or body using a clip which selects from a graphic.

      Here is one that is beyond me, but seems do-able. It would be a great help -- or maybe there is another way to do it.

      I took the script at http://javascript.internet.com/calculators/rgb-slider.html (click on slider demo) and put it on my hard drive.

      I want to have a clip in ntp that when I pick font/colorpick open this htm page, lets me pick a color and on close inserts the color back into the font tag. Of course once I figure this out -- (I use the word I, but don't mean it) -- I would like to duplicate it for color choices on body tags, etc.

      ---
      Don Passenger

    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
        Hi Don,

        >Goal: from ntp, select a color for font or body using a clip which selects
        >from a graphic

        >I took the script at
        >http://javascript.internet.com/calculators/rgb-slider.html (click on
        >slider demo) and put it on my hard drive.

        I used this short snip with a color chart, but grew tired of it. Perhaps it
        isn't exactly what you asked for, but it should work with your picker and
        perhaps it can serve as a starting point. If you put your html documents in
        NTB's Documents folder you only have to edit the path to your browser and
        alter the document name (here "slider.html").

        1. Put the cursor where you want the hex value inserted.
        2. Click "ColorPick" to bring the color picker up
        3. Double click in the hex box to select the value
        4. Ctrl + C to copy and NTB will insert the hex value at the position where
        you left the cursor.
        5. Put the cursor in the next tag, select next color and so on. When you
        are ready, close the library or it will continue to paste from the clip board.

        If you need a good "eye dropper", try
        DotColor http://www.inetis.com/freeware.asp Much easier ;-)

        Lotta

        H="ColorPick"
        ^!"c:\Program\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe" "^$GetDocumentPath$slider.html"

        H="OnClipboardChange"
        ^!FocusApp *NoteTab Pro
        ^!InsertText #^$GetClipboard$

        **************************************'****
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
          Hi Lotta & Group,

          This was a DEFINATE step in the right direction!

          It works (after a small change in the ie path and a hard coded path to my
          color file).

          Now if I can somehow invoke the internet explorer window, have it "auto
          clipboard" the selection on mouse click (maybe javascript?) and run the
          second clip on closing the internet explorer window (again maybe
          javascript?) I will have something going here.

          I just wish I was either smarter or had more life experience, maybe both!
          Any more help from those with more of these would be appreciated.

          ---

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
            Hi Don,

            >It works (after a small change in the ie path and a hard coded
            >path to my color file).

            FWIW, you can make a shortcut to it and call the shortcut:
            colwiz.exe and then you can start it from Help | HTMLib Color
            wizard if you are not using that. I have BK Color Coder setup
            like that. Link is on Eric's link page and also on my NoteTab
            Enhancers page. (You can get there from my sigline.)

            http://www.notetab.net

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
              Hello Don,

              >Now if I can somehow invoke the internet explorer window, have it "auto
              >clipboard" the selection on mouse click (maybe javascript?) and run the
              >second clip on closing the internet explorer window (again maybe
              >javascript?) I will have something going here.

              I'm not sure about the click part, but NTB should be able to close the IE
              window after pasting (or before). Problem is I can't remember how. Guess
              Jody will tell us once he has deciphered himself :-)
              I'm curious, since you want to select more than one color why do you want
              IE to close ? To me it seems like a waste of time to keep reopening it. BTW
              , this small window is pretty neat. Maybe I'll use it too, but mine will be
              "stay on top".

              Vive la difference!
              Lotta
            • Stephen Riddle
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
                Hi everyone
                This is all well and good, but my question is why when you can just press
                CTRL+F5 and do the same thing except easier:

                H="Pick a Color"
                ^!Keyboard CTRL+F5

                It automatically inserts your rgb code (except it uses all caps when I prefer
                miniscule)
                Stephen
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
                  Hi Stephen,

                  >This is all well and good, but my question is why when you can just press
                  >CTRL+F5 and do the same thing except easier:

                  But it doesn't do the same thing. Those colors aren't web safe and at least
                  I find it much easier to choose the color from a page. I don't know, maybe
                  we are just trying to learn something?

                  >H="Pick a Color"
                  >^!Keyboard CTRL+F5

                  >It automatically inserts your rgb code (except it uses all caps when I prefer
                  >miniscule

                  Nothing fancy, but miniscule they are ;-)
                  Good night,
                  Lotta

                  ************************************'
                  H="Pick a Color, lower case"
                  ^!Set %HtmDoc%=^$GetDocName$
                  ^!Toolbar New Document
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+F5
                  ^!select All
                  ^!Keyboard Ctrl+L
                  ^!Toolbar Copy
                  ^!Toolbar Delete Document
                  ^!Open ^%HtmDoc%
                  ^!Toolbar Paste

                  ************************************
                • Stephen Riddle
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 12, 2001
                    Hi All,

                    > But it doesn't do the same thing. Those colors aren't web safe and at least
                    > I find it much easier to choose the color from a page. I don't know, maybe
                    > we are just trying to learn something?

                    I'll buy that, thanks for th reminder of what we are all here for.

                    > Nothing fancy, but miniscule they are ;-)
                    > Good night,
                    > Lotta
                    >
                    > ************************************'
                    > H="Pick a Color, lower case"
                    > ^!Set %HtmDoc%=^$GetDocName$
                    > ^!Toolbar New Document
                    > ^!Keyboard CTRL+F5
                    > ^!select All
                    > ^!Keyboard Ctrl+L
                    > ^!Toolbar Copy
                    > ^!Toolbar Delete Document
                    > ^!Open ^%HtmDoc%
                    > ^!Toolbar Paste
                    >
                    > ************************************

                    & I'll also be glad to have lower case color letters.
                    Take Care,
                    Stephen
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 12, 2001
                      I asked: "or is there another way?" So I am happy to learn of the
                      control F5 function. I didn't know it existed. Unfortunately it
                      isn't the 216 safe color palette, which was also part of the goal.

                      I tried the clip below for lower case insert. It worked well with
                      one exception. The line "^!Open ^%HtmDoc%" caused an error message
                      if the file were a new file and not yet saved. I removed that line
                      and it seemed to run error free whether it was a new or existing
                      file. Because it was run out of the file, it returned control there
                      upon closing of the new window anyway. Sudden thought occurs (so I
                      gather myself back together and shake off the pain): I did not try it
                      with non-adjoining tabs...would that affect it? Should you save on
                      the way out and leave that line in? (end of sudden thought -- return
                      to thoughtlessness).

                      I am continually amazed at the knowledge here ... witness the current
                      thread on the append question. Thanks all always for your help.

                      Next I will try to understand what Jody wrote on this thread. Does
                      that give me a color safe palette Jody?

                      > snip...Those colors aren't web safe and
                      at least
                      > > I find it much easier to choose the color from a page.snip...

                      ************************************'
                      H="Pick a Color, lower case"
                      ^!Set %HtmDoc%=^$GetDocName$
                      ^!Toolbar New Document
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+F5
                      ^!select All
                      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+L
                      ^!Toolbar Copy
                      ^!Toolbar Delete Document
                      ^!Open ^%HtmDoc%
                      ^!Toolbar Paste

                      ************************************
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 12, 2001
                        Hi Don,

                        At 05:51 2001-01-13, you wrote:
                        >I tried the clip below for lower case insert. It worked well with
                        >one exception. The line "^!Open ^%HtmDoc%" caused an error message
                        >if the file were a new file and not yet saved.

                        No, it wouldn't work if the document had never been saved, i.e. has no
                        name. It was just me being childish anyway. Just as fast to do Ctrl+F5
                        highlight and Ctrl+L to get lower case, if you don't do it all the time.

                        >I removed that line and it seemed to run error free whether it was a new
                        >or existing file.

                        >I did not try it with non-adjoining tabs...would that affect it?

                        Yes, I'm afraid so. Then the document prior to the deleted one will be
                        focused. Try this instead. I hope it's correct.
                        Lotta
                        H="NewPick"
                        ;Set the variable HtmDoc to the focused doc's tab index
                        ^!Set %HtmDoc%=^$GetDocIndex$
                        ;Open a new doc
                        ^!Toolbar New Document
                        ;Open color picker
                        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+F5
                        ;Select inserted text, change to lower case and copy
                        ^!Select All
                        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+L
                        ^!Toolbar Copy
                        ;Delete document
                        ^!Toolbar Delete Document
                        ;Focus the first doc and paste
                        ^!SetDocIndex ^%HtmDoc%
                        ^!Toolbar Paste

                      • Stephen Riddle
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 13, 2001
                          Hi Everybody:

                          I couldn't help myself:
                          This clip works best with Netscape6,Explorer5 and Opera. It is rather indifferent
                          with Netscape4.

                          ;***********startClip
                          H="Web Safe Colors"
                          ^!Toolbar Paste Board
                          ^!Set %firstdoc%=^##
                          ^!Toolbar New Document
                          ^!SetArray %hex%=00;33;66;99;cc;ff
                          ^!SetArray %font%=cc;ff;00;33;66;99
                          ^!Set %title%="Quick, Browser Safe Color Picker"
                          ^!Set %red%=1; %green%=1; %blue%=1
                          <!--
                          div
                          {
                          border-width:3px;
                          border-style:solid;
                          font-size:15px;
                          width:100px;
                          float:left;
                          }
                          {
                          color:inherit;
                          font-size:1em;
                          }
                          em
                          {
                          color:inherit;
                          }
                          br
                          {
                          font-size:50px;
                          }
                          -->
                          </head><body bgcolor="#ffffff">
                          <h1>^%title%</h1>

                          :loop

                          color:#^%font^%red%%^%font^%green%%^%font^%blue%%;">
                          <b>#^%hex^%red%%^%hex^%green%%^%hex^%blue%%;</b>
                          ^!Inc %blue%
                          ^!If ^%blue% > 6 NEXT ELSE loop
                          ^%NL%<br />
                          ^!Set %blue%=1
                          ^!Inc %green%
                          ^!If ^%green% > 6 NEXT ELSE loop
                          ^!Set %green%=1
                          ^!Inc %red%
                          ^!If ^%red% > 6 NEXT ELSE loop
                          ^!Save As ^$GetPath(^##)$temp.html
                          ^!^$GetPath(^##)$temp.html

                          ^!Delay 600
                          ^!DestroyDoc ^$GetPath(^##)$temp.html
                          ;************EndClip

                          This creates a web page of browser-safe colors, which in Ns6, I35 and Opera can be
                          copied into the clipboard.
                          For some reason NS6 just sits there. The clip gives you time to open it in
                          whichever browser you wish, and then thoughtfully destroys the document so you
                          don't clutter up your hard drive with it. Using the pasteboard (first time I ever
                          had occasion to use it so far, which ever color you copy goes right into your
                          original document wherever the cursor is.
                          I'm sorry the color combinations are so ugly, but it is pretty legible except in
                          Ns4 and Opera leaves a bit to be desired.
                          Have fun,
                          Stephen
                        • Stephen Riddle
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 13, 2001
                            I mean NS 4 just sits there.
                            Ns 6 is pretty cool
                          • Stephen Riddle
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 13, 2001
                              Hi,
                              Woke up this morning. Instead of doing constructive stuff, messed
                              around with this clip.
                              I did not like the formatting, and also it did not insert selected and
                              copied stuff from the
                              web page into the document at the cursor, but instead appended the color
                              info onto the
                              end of the original document.
                              To get it to do that, I needed to create two extra clips, and a whole,
                              very short library called
                              StopChange.clb. If there is a way to create and run clips from a clip
                              library, then, of course,
                              the permanent library would not be needed. (I imagine the call for that
                              function is limited
                              enough we don't need to clutter up the wish list asking for it.)
                              The StopOnClipboardChange and OnClipboardChange instructions, however,
                              need to be inseparate clips.
                              Ok here's the stuff (and was it worth it? As Lotta said, it's all about
                              learning.)
                              There were enough formatting issues, I'll include the whol clip for
                              those interested and fascinated
                              at what a California Hillbilly does when he should be working:

                              ;*****************Stuff for Regular Clip Library
                              H="Web Safe Colors"
                              ;^!Toolbar Paste Board
                              ^!Set %firstdoc%=^##
                              ^!Toolbar New Document
                              ^!SetArray %hex%=00;33;66;99;cc;ff
                              ^!SetArray %font%=99;cc;ff;00;33;66
                              ^!Set %title%="Quick, Browser Safe Color Picker"
                              ^!Set %red%=1; %green%=1; %blue%=1
                              <!--
                              div
                              {
                              border-width:3px;
                              border-style:solid;
                              font-size:15px;
                              width:7em;
                              float:left;
                              }
                              {
                              color:inherit;
                              font-size:1.5em;
                              }
                              em
                              {
                              color:inherit;
                              }
                              br
                              {
                              clear:left;
                              }
                              -->
                              </head><body bgcolor="#ffffff">
                              <h1>^%title%</h1>

                              :loop

                              color:#^%font^%red%%^%font^%green%%^%font^%blue%%;">
                              <b>#^%hex^%red%%^%hex^%green%%^%hex^%blue%%</b>
                              ^!Inc %blue%
                              ^!If ^%blue% > 6 NEXT ELSE loop
                              ^%NL%<br />
                              ^!Set %blue%=1
                              ^!Inc %green%
                              ^!If ^%green% > 6 NEXT ELSE loop
                              ^!Set %green%=1
                              ^!Inc %red%
                              ^!If ^%red% > 6 NEXT ELSE loop
                              ^!Save As ^$GetPath(^%firstdoc%)$temp.html
                              ^!^$GetPath(^%firstdoc%)$temp.html
                              ^!Open ^%firstdoc%
                              ^!Clip OnClipboardChange
                              ^!Delay 300
                              ^!DestroyDoc ^$GetPath(^%firstdoc%)$temp.html

                              H="OnClipboardChange"
                              ^!Toolbar Paste

                              H="StopOnClipboardChange"
                              ^!Set %p_current%=^$GetLibraryName$
                              ^!LoadLibrary StopChange

                              ;***********End stuff for that library, begin StopChange library

                              = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

                              H="OnOpen"
                              ;Note that the prompt is needed for some reason
                              ^!Prompt We are stoping the automatic Paste Operation in the
                              ^%p_current% Library.
                              ^!LoadLibrary ^%p_current%

                              ;That's all you will ever need for this library.
                              ;************end clips

                              To use this collection of clips, save the StopChange library as
                              StopChange.clb in your NoteTab libraries folder.
                              Put the WebSafeColors and StopOnClipboardChange
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 13, 2001
                                Hi Stephen,

                                >Woke up this morning. Instead of doing constructive stuff, messed
                                >around with this clip.

                                Haha!!! I need to report a bug to eGroups. The following two lines
                                sneak though as HTML. Thanks for reminding me. <g> Hope I get time
                                soon to check the Clip out.

                                >^%title%
                                >#^%hex^%red%%^%hex^%green%%^%hex^%blue%%

                                http://www.notetab.net

                                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                                http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                              • thefrank
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 15, 2001
                                  Don, et.al.

                                  This is not what you were looking for, but you (and others) may find
                                  these clips useful for color.

                                  http://www.thefrank.com/notetab/

                                  regards,

                                  tf
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 16, 2001
                                    Hi tf,

                                    >This is not what you were looking for, but you (and others) may
                                    >find these clips useful for color.
                                    >
                                    >http://www.thefrank.com/notetab/

                                    Nice looking site. Are you listed at www.notetab? If not, shoot
                                    the name of your site and url to Eric if you want it to be.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 16, 2001
                                      Frank: you the man!

                                      This is better than what I have seen. Nice job.

                                      I need to know did you have this the whole time, or did we motivate it
                                      somehow with the thread? Very creative use of the clipbar!

                                      Only two questions now are: 1. can we add one more button to the
                                      clipbar...namely close? 2. can I add a clip to my library clipbook which
                                      opens this clipbar?

                                      I suspect the answers are yes and yes and the solutions are so basic I
                                      should just know how.

                                      ---
                                      Don Passenger
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 16, 2001
                                        Don Passenger wrote:

                                        > I need to know...

                                        I had built a smaller palate for use on a specific CSS project. The
                                        thread inspired me to extend the palate for the usergroup.

                                        > Only two questions now...

                                        I have revised the original as per your suggestion. Now a download of
                                        ColorPalates will include all palates with a HideClipbar button and
                                        and Open Palate clip to paste in any Clipbook Library.

                                        I usually just right-click on a no-button area of the Clipbar for a
                                        menu, but the button is quicker. tnx.

                                        Since you have already downloaded the original, I have made a zip of
                                        only the revised files. try:

                                        http://www.thefrank.com/notetab/index.html#rev20010116tf

                                        > I suspect the answers...

                                        thanks to Eric and v4.8 additions its a snap:

                                        Note Tab > Help > Help On Clip Programming > Clip Language - Clipbars

                                        btw...I found that
                                        ^!OpenClipbar Name
                                        should probably read
                                        ^!OpenClipbar "Name"

                                        the dquotes were needed for the clip to work.

                                        thanks again for your suggestions, and I am pleased you find
                                        ColorPalates helpful.

                                        regards,

                                        tf
                                      • Don Passenger
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 16, 2001
                                          VERY SLICK INDEED!

                                          I notice the first time I invoke the clipbar it comes up slow...I assume as
                                          it needs to get all the .bmp's retrieved. After that it toggles on and off
                                          in a gif...fy.

                                          If you like to pick colors off of a palette this beats anything we were
                                          doing so far. Grab the color clipbar from
                                          http://www.thefrank.com/notetab/index.html

                                          My next plan is to write some clips...like the body or font clips that let
                                          me get the input from the clipbar for the color. I assume that is possible
                                          too....cause this is the best text editor PLUS in the world.

                                          ---
                                          Don Passenger
                                        • Stephen Riddle
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 17, 2001
                                            > VERY SLICK INDEED!

                                            amen to all the above
                                          • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 17, 2001
                                              tf,

                                              Perhaps you can help me to understand something about downloading the files
                                              from the following sites. The way that I understand the posts you made is
                                              that I should download the originals from site #1, below, unzip the file
                                              and place the files in the directories you mentioned. And then, go to site
                                              #2, below, that has only the revised files, and do the same. Is this
                                              correct? Or will only one download suffice? Please, clarify this for me.
                                              Thanks!

                                              http://www.thefrank.com/notetab/
                                              http://www.thefrank.com/notetab/index.html#rev20010116tf

                                              Regards,

                                              Wayland Fowler
                                              Software Engineer (and all around nice guy!)
                                              (281) 280-4446
                                            • thefrank
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 17, 2001
                                                Wayland,

                                                At this time there are 2 versions of ColorPalates in use, the
                                                original and the *new-and-improved* revision.

                                                When you hit the page there are 2 different download links:
                                                Download All ColorPalates...zipped Win98 69kb (latest revision) and
                                                Download Only Revised Files...zipped Win98 10kb (to patch earlier
                                                version).

                                                The 69kb zip contains all necessary current files for all three
                                                ColorPalates. The 10kb zip contains only the additional and
                                                replacements files necessary to update the earlier version.

                                                If you have never downloaded ColorPalates use the 69kb zip.

                                                If you download both and install, it won't hurt anything. You will
                                                just overwrite some good files with the same files. The original
                                                version was a 68kb zip.

                                                The original version is no longer available for download.

                                                regards,

                                                tf
                                              • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 17, 2001
                                                  tf,

                                                  >If you have never downloaded ColorPalates use the 69kb zip.

                                                  Thanks for the clarification, I will download it this evening.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  Wayland Fowler
                                                  Software Engineer (and all around nice guy!)
                                                  (281) 280-4446
                                                • Ben Geyer
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 17, 2001
                                                    Hi folks,

                                                    I have downloaded a clip called Tabs2Spaces but find that it has
                                                    several errors on my system: Std on W98ES. Does it require Pro, or
                                                    do I perhaps have a defective copy?

                                                    Ben
                                                  • Lotta
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 18, 2001
                                                      tf,

                                                      I just tested your color picker and am equally impressed as Don. Very
                                                      inventive use of the clip bar.

                                                      :-)
                                                      Lotta

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 21, 2001
                                                        Hi Ben,

                                                        >I have downloaded a clip called Tabs2Spaces but find that it has
                                                        >several errors on my system: Std on W98ES. Does it require Pro, or
                                                        >do I perhaps have a defective copy?

                                                        I just tested it in Std 4.83 and it works fine. I got the copy
                                                        off my Snatch-A-Clip made by Claes. You may want to try the copy
                                                        off eGroups. Search for:

                                                        Making a table

                                                        You need to click on Source at eGroups to make sure the lines
                                                        don't get joined.

                                                        Here, try this:
                                                        http://www.egroups.com/message/ntb-clips/3717?source=1