Re: [Clip] OTL

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hi David,

      >I have an otl that I am trying to open with a clip , If I put the
      >path eg. d:\notetabstd\otl\test.otl , into the clip myself it
      >works , but I can not seem to work out how to get notetabstd to
      >do it itself .

      Use the open command or make a new document and do Document |
      Insert file... depending on which want you are wanting to open
      it. The Open command opens it as a regular outline. Insert
      file... copies the text and inserts it as a regular text file
      with no Outline view.

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.notetab.net
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2001
        Hi David,

        >I have an otl that I am trying to open with a clip , If I put the path
        >eg.
        >d:\notetabstd\otl\test.otl , into the clip myself it works , but I can
        >not seem
        >to work out how to get notetabstd to do it itself .

        I unsure what you mean by do it itself. From the operator or clip writer,
        NTB has to be issued command(s) in order to get anything done. Or, use a
        get function to obtain needed info, set it into a variable then use a
        command on the whole works.

        Nearly a myriad (at least several ways) of different ways exists with which
        to get your file opened up in NoteTab.

        NTB has some get functions which apply to certain directories if your file
        happens to be located in one of those directories. For more on what I
        speak of here, look in help section at Clip Language-Disk Directories, look
        at the ^$Get functions therein.

        Array with checkboxes to select which file to open is another possibility.

        The following is only two lines of code; it has a ^!Set line and an ^!Open
        line. The Set was one long line but I broke it up to send via email. At
        the points where I broke up the line, it had no spaces. You'll need
        carefully remove line breaks, make set line (currently the 4 lines above
        the ^!Open line) back into one lengthy line. Code for a simple clip follows.

        ^!Set %Dir%=^?{(H=14)Select Directory==C:\Program Files\

        NoteTab Pro\|C:\|D:\install\|_d:\notetabstd\otl\|C:\Program Files\

        NoteTab Pro\Documents\|C:\My Documents\}; %Fil%=

        ^?{(H=14)File?==readme.txt|_test.otl|readme.otl}
        ^!Open ^%Dir%^%Fil%
        ;-------<end of clip code<<

        Regards. Alan.
      • David McIntosh
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
          Hi
          Does anyone now a way to cut and paste MORE THAN ONE heading in a otl
          without
          changing it to text format first. I have a fairly large otl going on and
          would
          be easier if I could this instead of one at a time.
          THANKYOU DAVE
        • RS
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
            Hi David,

            At 12:10 AM 02/19/01 +1100, you wrote:
            >Hi
            >Does anyone now a way to cut and paste MORE THAN ONE heading in a otl
            >without
            >changing it to text format first. I have a fairly large otl going on and
            >would
            >be easier if I could this instead of one at a time.

            You can do that in ClipWriter:

            http://ptools.home.att.net/ClipWriter/cw.htm

            In the Open dialog, select files of type Outline.

            (You'll need the registered version, since the trial version only supports
            .clb files.)

            Best regards,

            RS
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
              Hi David,

              >Does anyone now a way to cut and paste MORE THAN ONE heading in a
              >otl without changing it to text format first. I have a fairly
              >large otl going on and would be easier if I could this instead of
              >one at a time.

              This is from the Clipbook help section. You probably know it...

              "The second format can have multi-line text items and each item
              can be identified by a descriptive header. This format must start
              with an equal sign (=) on the first line, followed by the text
              "MultiLine" (without quotes, character case does not matter).
              Each pasteable text item must be separated by an empty line. If
              you want to specify a header, add "H=" (without the quotes)
              followed by your header. The header must be directly on the line
              above the item it describes. Although it is not required in the
              current version, it is recommended that you place double quotes
              (") around each header."

              So, you can Use Document InsertFile... and an outline to insert.
              Make a Clip that will take the Clipboard contents, or use
              OnClipboardChange to insert H=Heading into the file with the
              appropriate line breaks. Simply save the file when done by the
              outline name you want and click on reload.

              H=Wrap Header
              ; the whole thing here is a Clip
              ^!InsertText ^pH="^$GetClipbard$"^p^p

              ;------

              H=OnClipboardChange
              ; the whole thing here is a Clip
              ^!InsertText ^pH="^$GetClipbard$"^p^p

              You can also simply list your headings in a document leaving at
              least one blank line between them (I prefer two) and do a
              Find ^p^p^p and Replace with ^p^p^pH= (given you have two blank
              lines.

              If these are complete headings, that is, with the topic
              underneath the heading as well, then adjust the formatting so
              that you can do what you need to do with the Find and Replace.

              http://www.notetab.net

              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
                Hi David,

                >Does anyone now a way to cut and paste MORE THAN ONE heading in a otl
                >withoutchanging it to text format first.

                I've been thinking in those lines too. Your question got me going. Here is
                here result of a day's work and an aching back. It isn't an elegant
                solution but it's kind of fun. (Don't laugh, Jody!)

                This clip copies the topics of your choice to another OTL. If you want them
                deleted from the first document, adding the line "^!Keyboard Shift+F10 r"
                after each ""^!Keyboard Shift+F10 c" should work. Please read the
                "ReadFirst" before you run it. The first line in "Topics to..." is long.

                Have fun!
                Lotta

                ---------- COPY BELOW ----------

                H=";ReadFirst"
                1. Focus the OTL you want to copy topics TO. Right click it's tab and "Copy
                Name". When you run the clip, you will be prompted for the name and can
                paste it into the wizard field.

                2. Focus the OTL you want to copy topics FROM before running the clip.

                3. Also focus the topic/heading UNDER which you want the new topics to be
                inserted.

                H="Topics to other OTL"
                ^!Set %newotl%="^?[Enter the name of the OTL you want the topics to be
                added TO]"
                ^!SetFocus Outline
                ^!Set %oldotl%=^$GetDocIndex$
                ^!Set %count%=^$GetTopicCount$
                ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 t
                ^!Toolbar Paste New
                ^!SetWordWrap OFF
                ^!Set %scrap%=^$GetDocIndex$
                ^!Jump ^%count%
                ^!InsertText |
                ^!Jump line_end
                ^!InsertText ^%caret%=^$GetRow$
                :loop1
                ^!Set %curr%=^$GetRow$
                ^!If "^$Calc(^%curr%-1)$" > 1 next else getit
                ^!Jump ^$Calc(^%curr%-1)$
                ^!InsertText |
                ^!Jump line_end
                ^!InsertText ^%caret%=^$GetRow$
                ^!Goto loop1
                :getit
                ^!Jump text_start
                ^!Jump line_end
                ^!InsertText ^%caret%=^$GetRow$
                ^!Select All
                ^!Keyboard Ctrl+J
                ^!Replace "^p" >> ""
                ^!Replace " |" >> "|" WAS
                ^!Select All
                ^!Set %wiztxt%=^$GetSelection$
                ^!Toolbar Clear All
                ^!SetWizardTitle "Choose the topics to be copied"
                ^?{(H=^%count%;T=A)=^%wiztxt%}
                ^!Toolbar Select All
                ^!Replace "";"" >> "^p" HSA
                ^!Replace """ >> "" HSA
                ^!Set %cntlns%=^$GetLineCount$
                ^!Jump ^%cntlns%
                :loop2
                ^!Select Line
                ^!Set %index%=^$GetLine$
                ^!SetDocIndex ^%oldotl%
                ^!Delay 02
                ^!SetTopicIndex ^%index%
                ^!SetFocus Outline
                ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 c
                ^!Open ^%newotl%
                ^!SetFocus Outline
                ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 d
                ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Alt+Up
                ^!SetDocIndex ^%scrap%
                ^!Set %nmbr%=^$GetRow$
                ^!If "^$Calc(^%nmbr%-1)$" > 0 next else clnup
                ^!Jump ^$Calc(^%nmbr%-1)$
                ^!Goto loop2
                :clnup
                ^!DestroyDoc
                ^!Open ^%newotl%
                ^!SetFocus Outline
                ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Alt+Down

                ---------- COPY ABOVE ----------
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
                  Hi Lotta and David,

                  >> Does anyone now a way to cut and paste MORE THAN ONE heading in
                  >> a otl withoutchanging it to text format first.
                  >
                  >I've been thinking in those lines too. Your question got me
                  >going. Here is here result of a day's work and an aching back. It
                  >isn't an elegant solution but it's kind of fun. (Don't laugh,
                  >Jody!)

                  Why would I laugh? I would never do that to anybody attempting
                  to write Clips - at least not out loud. haha At least you read
                  what somebody is trying to do before giving them an answer. :)
                  I'm sure your Clip works well and that is what counts. As time
                  goes on you will learn shortcuts and ways to do things better and
                  faster.

                  David, you can also insert the Outline into a new doc selecting
                  the headings you want if they are in a range then use the "Add
                  from Clipboard" feature. Likewise, you can insert the Outline,
                  make a Paste Board and copy the headings you want. Or, in a
                  similar fashion make a Paste Board setting the divider up as a
                  couple blank lines and then H=. In the Outline document Show
                  headings. Click on the headings you want one at a time and use
                  the Copy Heading feature. You could make a Clip to do that as
                  well using Keyboard or perhaps two Clips, one to go to the next
                  header and one to copy it if you want it so you could mouse click
                  through the whole Outline fairly fast.

                  Hopefully Lotta's work will help you out, but here is another.
                  It scrolls though all the headings and prompts if you want to
                  get it or not:

                  <--- Copy below this line --->
                  H=Copy Heading
                  ; Last Updated 02-18-2001, Sojourner@..., jody
                  ^!Set %Index%=0
                  :Loop
                  ^!If ^%Index% = ^$GetTopicCount$ SetClipboard
                  ^!Inc %Index%
                  ^!SetTopicIndex ^%Index%
                  ^!Set %Header%=^$GetTopicName(^%Index%)$
                  ^!Skip Add this topic: ^%Header%?
                  ^!Goto Loop
                  ^!SetFocus Outline
                  ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 C
                  ^!Set %Topic%=^$GetClipboard$
                  ^!Append %AllTopics%=H=^%Header%^%nl%^%Topic%^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%
                  ^!Goto Loop

                  :SetClipboard
                  ^!SetClipboard ^%AllTopics%
                  ^!StatusShow All copied Topics are now on the Clipboard.

                  <--- Copy above this line, right --->
                  <--- click over a Library, and --->
                  <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
                    David and all,

                    If you try the clip, you are better off deleting line 44 (hopefully it's
                    the same line for you)

                    ^!Delay 02

                    It isn't needed. My computer was acting up, and made me think that did the
                    trick. It isn't to any use at all, just slows the clip down. Sorry.

                    Lotta
                  • David McIntosh
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 22, 2001
                      hI
                      I tried your clip a few odds things
                      1. I like the way you can select which heading ,I tried this on a small
                      otl
                      would not be good on a large otl of say 200 heading,
                      2.the selected heading were not transferred across to the new otl.
                      thanks for having a go
                      THANKYOU DAVE

                      Lotta wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > This clip copies the topics of your choice to another OTL. If you want them
                      > deleted from the first document, adding the line "^!Keyboard Shift+F10 r"
                      > after each ""^!Keyboard Shift+F10 c" should work. Please read the
                      > "ReadFirst" before you run it. The first line in "Topics to..." is long.
                      >
                      > Have fun!
                      > Lotta
                      >
                      > ---------- COPY BELOW ----------
                      >
                      > H=";ReadFirst"
                      > 1. Focus the OTL you want to copy topics TO. Right click it's tab and "Copy
                      > Name". When you run the clip, you will be prompted for the name and can
                      > paste it into the wizard field.
                      >
                      > 2. Focus the OTL you want to copy topics FROM before running the clip.
                      >
                      > 3. Also focus the topic/heading UNDER which you want the new topics to be
                      > inserted.
                      >
                      > H="Topics to other OTL"
                      > ^!Set %newotl%="^?[Enter the name of the OTL you want the topics to be
                      > added TO]"
                      > ^!SetFocus Outline
                      > ^!Set %oldotl%=^$GetDocIndex$
                      > ^!Set %count%=^$GetTopicCount$
                      > ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 t
                      > ^!Toolbar Paste New
                      > ^!SetWordWrap OFF
                      > ^!Set %scrap%=^$GetDocIndex$
                      > ^!Jump ^%count%
                      > ^!InsertText |
                      > ^!Jump line_end
                      > ^!InsertText ^%caret%=^$GetRow$
                      > :loop1
                      > ^!Set %curr%=^$GetRow$
                      > ^!If "^$Calc(^%curr%-1)$" > 1 next else getit
                      > ^!Jump ^$Calc(^%curr%-1)$
                      > ^!InsertText |
                      > ^!Jump line_end
                      > ^!InsertText ^%caret%=^$GetRow$
                      > ^!Goto loop1
                      > :getit
                      > ^!Jump text_start
                      > ^!Jump line_end
                      > ^!InsertText ^%caret%=^$GetRow$
                      > ^!Select All
                      > ^!Keyboard Ctrl+J
                      > ^!Replace "^p" >> ""
                      > ^!Replace " |" >> "|" WAS
                      > ^!Select All
                      > ^!Set %wiztxt%=^$GetSelection$
                      > ^!Toolbar Clear All
                      > ^!SetWizardTitle "Choose the topics to be copied"
                      > ^?{(H=^%count%;T=A)=^%wiztxt%}
                      > ^!Toolbar Select All
                      > ^!Replace "";"" >> "^p" HSA
                      > ^!Replace """ >> "" HSA
                      > ^!Set %cntlns%=^$GetLineCount$
                      > ^!Jump ^%cntlns%
                      > :loop2
                      > ^!Select Line
                      > ^!Set %index%=^$GetLine$
                      > ^!SetDocIndex ^%oldotl%
                      > ^!Delay 02
                      > ^!SetTopicIndex ^%index%
                      > ^!SetFocus Outline
                      > ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 c
                      > ^!Open ^%newotl%
                      > ^!SetFocus Outline
                      > ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 d
                      > ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Alt+Up
                      > ^!SetDocIndex ^%scrap%
                      > ^!Set %nmbr%=^$GetRow$
                      > ^!If "^$Calc(^%nmbr%-1)$" > 0 next else clnup

                    • David McIntosh
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 22, 2001
                        hI
                        I can fiddle yours a bit and get roughly want I want, thanks
                        THANKYOU DAVE