Re: [Clip] Something need before calling Clip??

  • Wren McMains
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
      Hi Alan,

      > My findings indicated that the first inserttext comes along and when it is
      > done it leaves selected. then the next inserttext comes along and inserts
      > not where the cursor is at but inserts into the selection (selected area)
      > instead (thus overwrites)

      I agree, that's exactly what it seems to be doing.

      > yes, as you stated, all by itself in the separate clip it worked. but, as
      > follows, it does not even like (work with) a goto a label (unless utilize
      > either a number 1 or 2 method as above whereby I got it to work).

      What I don't understand is what there is about the loop which
      causes this behavior. If you don't include the loop, or you call
      the sub-clip manually it works fine. It seems to me that something
      is wrong with this picture.

      -Wren
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
        Hi Wren and Alan,

        >Is there something I need to add before calling the clip, or is
        >there a bug here somewhere? (Had this problem in 4.82 and it's
        >still happening in 4.83.)

        It is suppose to behave like that.

        >^!InsertHtml <B>^&</B>

        ^!InsertText and ^!InsertHTML act the same way when use "^&".

        "Inserted text remains selected when the ^& token is used..."
        As you found out the ^!Jump Line_End works for you. I use
        ^!Jump Select_End myself in cases like that.

        ^!InsertText Any text with tokens (^p/^t)
        Inserts the text following the command into the document. Since
        the text must hold on the same line as the command, you will have
        to use the ^p token to indicate line breaks. Since version 4.8,
        this command is sensitive to the "Indent on Paste" setting in the
        Options dialog box on the Clipbook tab. Inserted text remains
        selected when the ^& token is used to add text to the criteria.
        You can precede it with the command

        ^!SetPasteIndent Off
        to make it ignore the indent setting.

        ^!InsertHtml Any text with tokens (^p/^t) (added in v4.8)
        Similar to ^!InsertText command, but...

        Now, from the old days. sometimes, ^& causes problems. A lot of
        it has been worked out, but...

        You have some choices.

        Don't use ^!InsertHTML Not really an alternative, but an option. <g>
        Insert your text (line 1-n) first, then run the bold loop.
        Instead of using ^&, use ^$GetSelection$ <--- from the old days :)
        Another trick from times past is to set the code up in a Clip:

        ^!Find "<P>[A-Z.\" 0-9]*:" TRSI
        ^!IfError doneTITLES
        ^!Clip "Code"
        ^!InsertHtml <B>^%Code%</B>

        H=Code
        ^&

        I cannot really tell you why the text gets selected in the sub-
        routine - bad memory and I seldom use ^&. (I'm a ^$GetSelection$
        kind of guy out of habit;) My guess is it is something to do
        with the ^& being process first though, but I don't know why it
        is carried to the sub. I will mention it on the NextRelease list
        since we are beta testing 4.84b1 - perhaps it is a combination of
        the test staying selected since 4.8 with ^& and it being
        processed first - maybe some tweaking can be done. From Help:

        Parsing and evaluation sequence

        A. Whole Clip

        1. Comments removed
        2. Date fields evaluated ^[...^] (old format)
        3. Text selection inserted if ^& found
        4. ^!CONTINUE command executed if on first line
        5. Clip wizard based on ^?[...] fields displayed
        6. Mathematical fields evaluated ^$[...] (old format)

        B. Line by line

        1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
        2. Document name using ^*, ^**, ^#, ^## codes resolved
        3. Functions resolved (from right to left)
        4. Clip wizard based on ^?{...} fields in line displayed
        5. Clip Command executed

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hi Wren and Alan, and Eric,

          OK, here's the answer. The ^& says to keep text selected for
          *all* ^!Insert commands regardless of where they are, so, just
          use a called Clip or ^$GetSelection$ for cases like that. Wren,
          something you may have missed also that changed is we can now
          copy clip code from other apps and in NoteTab without it being
          executed. Due to that we lost some backwards capability and
          perhaps had to redo some Clips. See WhatsNew.txt

          H=KeepSel
          ^!InsertHTML line -1
          ^!Prompt 1
          ^!InsertText Line 1
          ^!Prompt 2
          ^!Insert ^&Line 2
          ^!Prompt 3
          ^!Insert Line 3
          ^!Clip Me

          H=Me
          ^!Insert Line 4

          H=Grin
          ^!InsertHTML <^&>
          ^!Prompt 1
          ^!InsertText <^&>
          ^!Prompt 2

          nite, I hope...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
            Hi Jody (and Eric),

            Thanks for the info, at least now I understand it's the ^&
            that causes the trouble.

            I still think it's a bug that ^& causes future text inserted
            in sub-clips to be selected, even after any selection is
            removed. But you're right, it seems like ^$GetSelection$
            would get around the problem until ^& is fixed.

            Thanks again,
            -Wren
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
              Hi Wren,

              >I still think it's a bug that ^& causes future text inserted in
              >sub-clips to be selected, even after any selection is removed.
              >But you're right, it seems like ^$GetSelection$ would get around
              >the problem until ^& is fixed.

              It is not just future, but all Insert type commands before, after
              or in a called Clip which I demonstrated in the Clip I sent the
              list. (Did you try the H=Grin Clip? ;)

              Wether a bug or not -I cannot say for sure, but I think not, at
              this point in time I personally would not try to improve it
              anymore since there are at least two other ways to make it work.
              Maybe Eric will try to improve it some, but we are getting to the
              point where he is, for the very most part, just fixing bugs.

              Time to get moving to a reader/editor geared towards programmers
              and version five. The idea now is to leave 4.x as clean as
              possible unlike other companies in whom I choose not to mention.
              <g> If Eric starts making changes he has the chance of creating
              new bugs which goes for any change like we have already seen in
              beta #1. Additionally, we might not catch them only causing yet
              for another maintenance release and a longer wait for the better
              stuff to get released.