Re: [Clip] Something need before calling Clip??

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
      Hi Wren,

      >Is there something I need to add before calling the
      >clip, or is there a bug here somewhere? (Had this
      >problem in 4.82 and it's still happening in 4.83.)

      My NTP 4.83 I experimented . . I just ran the following clip code, ran
      it on an .htm current doc file

      even without using the called clip ie with insertext lines in the below
      clip code, they overwrote each other, didn't work, until . . .

      but then

      There were two ways that I could get it to work. 1. use the long line
      whereby three lines are inserted using only one InserText command
      (currently commented/remarked out). 2. Use ^!Select 0 after an InsertText

      My findings indicated that the first inserttext comes along and when it is
      done it leaves selected. then the next inserttext comes along and inserts
      not where the cursor is at but inserts into the selection (selected area)
      instead (thus overwrites)

      yes, as you stated, all by itself in the separate clip it worked. but, as
      follows, it does not even like (work with) a goto a label (unless utilize
      either a number 1 or 2 method as above whereby I got it to work).

      ;^!ToolBar "Document to HTML"
      ;^!SetCursor 1:1
      :doTITLES
      ;^!Find "<P>[A-Z.\" 0-9]*:" TRS
      ^!Goto doneTITLES
      ^!IfError doneTITLES
      ^!InsertHtml <B>^&</B>
      ^!Jump LINE_END
      ^!GoTo doTITLES
      :doneTITLES
      ;^!SetCursor 1:1
      ;^!Find "<body" IS
      ;^!IfError noBody
      ;^!Jump LINE_END
      ;^!Select 0
      ;^!Delay 20
      ;^!Clip "Add Lines Here"
      ^!SetPasteIndent Off
      ;^!InsertText ^%nl%Line 1^%nl%Line 2^%nl%Line 3^%nl%
      ^!InsertText ^%nl%Line 1
      ^!Select 0
      ^!Delay 10
      ^!InsertText Line 2^%nl%
      ^!Delay 10
      ^!InsertText Line 3^%nl%
      ^!GoTo END
      :noBody
      ^!Prompt No BODY tag on page.
      ;-------<end of clip code<<

      Regards. Alan.
    • Wren McMains
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
        Hi Alan,

        > My findings indicated that the first inserttext comes along and when it is
        > done it leaves selected. then the next inserttext comes along and inserts
        > not where the cursor is at but inserts into the selection (selected area)
        > instead (thus overwrites)

        I agree, that's exactly what it seems to be doing.

        > yes, as you stated, all by itself in the separate clip it worked. but, as
        > follows, it does not even like (work with) a goto a label (unless utilize
        > either a number 1 or 2 method as above whereby I got it to work).

        What I don't understand is what there is about the loop which
        causes this behavior. If you don't include the loop, or you call
        the sub-clip manually it works fine. It seems to me that something
        is wrong with this picture.

        -Wren
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hi Wren and Alan,

          >Is there something I need to add before calling the clip, or is
          >there a bug here somewhere? (Had this problem in 4.82 and it's
          >still happening in 4.83.)

          It is suppose to behave like that.

          >^!InsertHtml <B>^&</B>

          ^!InsertText and ^!InsertHTML act the same way when use "^&".

          "Inserted text remains selected when the ^& token is used..."
          As you found out the ^!Jump Line_End works for you. I use
          ^!Jump Select_End myself in cases like that.

          ^!InsertText Any text with tokens (^p/^t)
          Inserts the text following the command into the document. Since
          the text must hold on the same line as the command, you will have
          to use the ^p token to indicate line breaks. Since version 4.8,
          this command is sensitive to the "Indent on Paste" setting in the
          Options dialog box on the Clipbook tab. Inserted text remains
          selected when the ^& token is used to add text to the criteria.
          You can precede it with the command

          ^!SetPasteIndent Off
          to make it ignore the indent setting.

          ^!InsertHtml Any text with tokens (^p/^t) (added in v4.8)
          Similar to ^!InsertText command, but...

          Now, from the old days. sometimes, ^& causes problems. A lot of
          it has been worked out, but...

          You have some choices.

          Don't use ^!InsertHTML Not really an alternative, but an option. <g>
          Insert your text (line 1-n) first, then run the bold loop.
          Instead of using ^&, use ^$GetSelection$ <--- from the old days :)
          Another trick from times past is to set the code up in a Clip:

          ^!Find "<P>[A-Z.\" 0-9]*:" TRSI
          ^!IfError doneTITLES
          ^!Clip "Code"
          ^!InsertHtml <B>^%Code%</B>

          H=Code
          ^&

          I cannot really tell you why the text gets selected in the sub-
          routine - bad memory and I seldom use ^&. (I'm a ^$GetSelection$
          kind of guy out of habit;) My guess is it is something to do
          with the ^& being process first though, but I don't know why it
          is carried to the sub. I will mention it on the NextRelease list
          since we are beta testing 4.84b1 - perhaps it is a combination of
          the test staying selected since 4.8 with ^& and it being
          processed first - maybe some tweaking can be done. From Help:

          Parsing and evaluation sequence

          A. Whole Clip

          1. Comments removed
          2. Date fields evaluated ^[...^] (old format)
          3. Text selection inserted if ^& found
          4. ^!CONTINUE command executed if on first line
          5. Clip wizard based on ^?[...] fields displayed
          6. Mathematical fields evaluated ^$[...] (old format)

          B. Line by line

          1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
          2. Document name using ^*, ^**, ^#, ^## codes resolved
          3. Functions resolved (from right to left)
          4. Clip wizard based on ^?{...} fields in line displayed
          5. Clip Command executed

          http://www.notetab.net

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            Hi Wren and Alan, and Eric,

            OK, here's the answer. The ^& says to keep text selected for
            *all* ^!Insert commands regardless of where they are, so, just
            use a called Clip or ^$GetSelection$ for cases like that. Wren,
            something you may have missed also that changed is we can now
            copy clip code from other apps and in NoteTab without it being
            executed. Due to that we lost some backwards capability and
            perhaps had to redo some Clips. See WhatsNew.txt

            H=KeepSel
            ^!InsertHTML line -1
            ^!Prompt 1
            ^!InsertText Line 1
            ^!Prompt 2
            ^!Insert ^&Line 2
            ^!Prompt 3
            ^!Insert Line 3
            ^!Clip Me

            H=Me
            ^!Insert Line 4

            H=Grin
            ^!InsertHTML <^&>
            ^!Prompt 1
            ^!InsertText <^&>
            ^!Prompt 2

            nite, I hope...

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
              Hi Jody (and Eric),

              Thanks for the info, at least now I understand it's the ^&
              that causes the trouble.

              I still think it's a bug that ^& causes future text inserted
              in sub-clips to be selected, even after any selection is
              removed. But you're right, it seems like ^$GetSelection$
              would get around the problem until ^& is fixed.

              Thanks again,
              -Wren
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
                Hi Wren,

                >I still think it's a bug that ^& causes future text inserted in
                >sub-clips to be selected, even after any selection is removed.
                >But you're right, it seems like ^$GetSelection$ would get around
                >the problem until ^& is fixed.

                It is not just future, but all Insert type commands before, after
                or in a called Clip which I demonstrated in the Clip I sent the
                list. (Did you try the H=Grin Clip? ;)

                Wether a bug or not -I cannot say for sure, but I think not, at
                this point in time I personally would not try to improve it
                anymore since there are at least two other ways to make it work.
                Maybe Eric will try to improve it some, but we are getting to the
                point where he is, for the very most part, just fixing bugs.

                Time to get moving to a reader/editor geared towards programmers
                and version five. The idea now is to leave 4.x as clean as
                possible unlike other companies in whom I choose not to mention.
                <g> If Eric starts making changes he has the chance of creating
                new bugs which goes for any change like we have already seen in
                beta #1. Additionally, we might not catch them only causing yet
                for another maintenance release and a longer wait for the better
                stuff to get released.