Re: [Clip] Editing in external programs

  • Jason Waugh
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
      >> Hi Jason, Jody, Etc,
      >
      >It looks like it would be easiest to just save before you open in Dreamweaver.
      >A simple clip to both save and open in another editor would be:

      That's what I do... was trying to figure out how to do it without the ^!Save so that I can always be working on the TEMP file.... thanks though.

      >Also, I've never used Dreamweaver, but know friends who do. You can specify in Dreamweaver which text editor to use. Finding out how this is done would probably do a lot for your toggling back and forth issues.

      Thought about that... however, after redoing most of my website in NoteTab Pro by hand coding, I don't think I will be using another visual editor again. I would much rather have Dreamweaver as a companion and occasional aid to NoteTab than the other way around. FWIW, I just ^!Save - causes no harm in the end.

      Seriously though... NoteTab Pro has become absolutely essential to me. So essential that a few weeks back I caused a serious problem and had to reinstall my OS - NTPro was the first program I reinstalled without even thinking about it. It's only the last week or two, however, that I thought to actually use it to create my webpages. The results are fantastic - I now have ORGANIZED, CLEAN code, and the page looks far more professional than it did because I had exact control over placement. Previously I had used FrontPage and occaisonally Dreamweaver and various other tools and I had no idea what a big blobby mess my pages had become. Now they are lean - smaller files, faster load times - so organized that updating them is a breeze (previously I would never really update my pages because it was more of a chore than I wanted) - I like it.

      Sorry to take this off topic, but I'm excited. ;)

      To bring it back on topic... anybody that's read this far have a clip that will select all text between two matching HTML tags? To quickly delete a whole table cell at a time, or whatever?

      Thanks,
      Jason Waugh.
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
        Hi Jason,

        >Seriously though... NoteTab Pro has become absolutely essential
        >to me....I had no idea what a big blobby mess my pages had
        >become. Now they are lean - smaller files, faster load times -
        >so organized that updating them is a breeze (previously I would
        >never really update my pages because it was more of a chore than
        >I wanted) - I like it.

        >Sorry to take this off topic, but I'm excited. ;)

        I think folks can handle a little bragging about NoteTab every
        now and then - thanks for your statement. I'm happy to see you
        have found NoteTab so useful.

        >To bring it back on topic... anybody that's read this far have a
        >clip that will select all text between two matching HTML tags?
        >To quickly delete a whole table cell at a time, or whatever?

        Look in the Utilities Library under Internet for "Select between
        tags". Just edit the Clip to your needs.

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Jason Waugh
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
          >>clip that will select all text between two matching HTML tags?
          >>To quickly delete a whole table cell at a time, or whatever?
          >
          >Look in the Utilities Library under Internet for "Select between
          >tags". Just edit the Clip to your needs.

          This is definitely useable... I just have to make it automatically select the tag type based on the current selected text and only use the forward search code. Excellent, and thank you.

          Just wish I could assign my own accelerator keys to clips. 8(

          Thanks,
          Jason Waugh.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
            Hi Jason,

            >>Look in the Utilities Library under Internet for "Select between
            >>tags". Just edit the Clip to your needs.
            >
            >This is definitely useable... I just have to make it automatically select the tag type based on the current selected text and only use the forward search code. Excellent, and thank you.

            Move the underscore:

            ^!Set %Range%=^?[(2)Search from...==Start of text^=W|Cursor position forwards^=|_Cursor position backwards^=B]

            Or consider this I took from a Replace Library I have. Just take
            out the replace side if you want and change the variable name(s):

            ^!SetWizardLabel Change the defaults with underscore in the Clip
            ; one line till blank
            ^!Set %Find%=^?{Find what=^%Data%}; %Replace%=^?{Replace with what=^%Data%}; %Options%=^?{(T=A;H=10)Search options=Do not search for whole words^=T|Search for whole words only^=C|_Ignore character case^=I|Search backwards^=B|Search through all the open documents^=G|_Search through the whole document^=W|_Replace all occuranaces^=A|Search within selection only^=H|Search using regular expressions^=R|_Do not display any error messages^=S}

            ^!Replace "^%Find%" >> "^%Replace%" ^%Options%

            To get it to use your selection you will need to put the ^?[Tag]
            wizards into a variable and then use "^&" in braces:

            ^!Set %Tag%=^?{Tag=^&}
            ^!Find "<^%Tag%" CIS^%Range%
            ^!Find "</^%Tag%>" IS

            >Just wish I could assign my own accelerator keys to clips. 8(

            v5 ;)

            http://www.notetab.net

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2000
              clipThe problem with the "Select between tags" in erics utilities library
              is that it fails when an element contains nested elements.

              <ul>
              <li>
              <li>
              <ul>
              <li>
              </li>
              <li>
              </li>
              </ul>
              </li>
              </li>
              </ul>

              What is needed is a way to keep track of the closure of an open tags
              Try the following clip which I just wrote as an improved version of the one
              in my xhtml library.
              Use by placing cursor between the brackets of any tag and running the clip
              Normal mode.. Selects the 'element'
              To select the 'innerHtml' (the stuff contained by the element) use "alt"
              To select the 'tag' use "ctrl"

              h=selectTag
              ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
              ^!Set %Alt%=0
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetHtmlTag()$)$ EXIT
              ^!Set %Tag%=^$GetHtmlTag(true)$
              ^!IfTrue "^$IsCtrlKeyDown$" ^!GoTo Exit
              ^!IfTrue "^$IsAltKeyDown$" ^!Set %Alt%=1
              ^!Set %Tname%=^$GetHtmlTagName(^%Tag%)$
              ^!Set %elStart%=^$GetRowStart$:^$GetColStart$
              ^!Set %tagClosed%=1
              :deNest
              ^!Find ^%Tname% TIS
              ;is openining or closing tag.
              ^!Jump Select_Start
              ^!Set %char%=^$GetChar(-1)$
              ^!IfSame "/" "^%char%" ^!dec %tagClosed%
              ^!IfSame "<" "^%char%" ^!inc %tagClosed%
              ^!MoveCursor ^$StrSize(^%Tname%)$
              ^!If ^%tagClosed% = 0 next else deNest
              ^!Set %Tag%=^$GetHtmlTag(true)$
              ^!Set %elEnd%=^$GetRowEnd$:^$GetColEnd$
              ^!SetCursor ^%elStart%
              ^!SelectTo ^%elEnd%
              ^!IfTrue ^%Alt% Alt Else SELECT
              :Alt
              ^!Find "</" bs
              ^!Jump Select_Start
              ^!Set %elEnd%=^$GetRowEnd$:^$GetColEnd$
              ^!SetCursor ^%elStart%
              ^!Find ">" TIS
              ^!Jump Select_End
              ^!Set %elStart%=^$GetRowEnd$:^$GetColEnd$
              :SELECT
              ^!SetCursor ^%elStart%
              ^!SelectTo ^%elEnd%
              ^!GoTo Exit