Re: [Clip] Bracket & Brace QuickRef (was: square label)

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
      Hi Stephen, Lotta, and Clippers,

      > The best thing I learned in the last couple of days is the set
      > command (and I've seen examples of it before, just learning it
      > now though.) It can specify a whole gob of variables at the
      > same time and make quite an impressive wizard.

      FYI: Huge wizards can cause the Combobox out of memory error when
      in a low resource condition.

      > There seem to be other ways to group them so that they pop up
      > all at the same time but I am not quite clear on the procedure
      > except that sometimes it happens and sometimes not.

      I did the following from memory; I hope it is all correct. <g>

      Bracket and Brace Quick Reference

      1. Brackets are interpreted before the Clip runs line by line.
      2. Braces are *not* interpreted until NoteTab gets to that line
      during the actual execution of the script.
      3. Brackets can be anywhere in the Clip to be in the same wizard.
      4. Braces must be grouped in one line to be in the same wizard
      using no command or commands such as: ^!InsertText, ^!Set,
      ^!SetArray, ^!Append, ^!Open, ^!DeleteFile...
      5. Braces can be used to make multiple multi-field wizards in one
      script when used in different parts of the script.
      6. You can use the "^!Clip" command to have either Brackets or
      Braces make multiple multi-field wizards in one complete script.
      7. Brackets and Braces can accept the "|" and "^=" code to make
      multiple list items.
      8. Brackets and Braces can accept the "(T=O)" and "(T=D)" type code
      which create a "Browse" button, but "Listboxes" (multiple items
      in pull down Combobox) cannot be used; only one default item can
      be in the wizard field with the "(T=O)" and "(T=D)" type code.
      9. Brackets accept functions, but the function code shows up in the
      wizard field(s).
      10. Braces accept functions, but the function is not seen in the
      wizard field(s). The function is evaluated and executed before
      the wizard is opened (built) so that "^$GetAppPath$" will be the
      actual path of NoteTab. (^?[=^$GetAppPath$] - ^?{=^$GetAppPath$})

      For additional information see the Help file under:

      Clip Language - Introduction (Parsing and evaluation sequence)
      Clip Language - Clip Wizard and Fields
      Lessons One/Two in ClipClass.otl:
      http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

      Tips on how to use (install) the reference:

      You can add the above to an H=;Info type Clip using a long Hint like
      the following on one line which will force the window to be made
      wide:

      H=;Bracket and Brace Quick Reference - Pops up info box with information on Brackets and Braces

      If you prefer a regular Clip, do a Find ^p and Replace with ^^p on
      the text and add ^!Info in front of it. You can make the window
      wider with something like...
      ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";66)$ http://www.notetab.net ^$StrFill(" ";66)$~
      ...above the ^!Info line. :)

      You can rename ReadMe.txt to something different like ReadMe.483 and
      then save the above as ReadMe.txt to access it from the Help menu.
      (Who reads the ReadMe files anyway, eh?:)

      ...and, there is the Clipbar. ;)

      http://www.notetab.net

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
        Jody wrote:

        > FYI: Huge wizards can cause the Combobox out of memory error when
        > in a low resource condition.
        >

        > Happy Clip'n!
        > Jody

        Hi Jody,

        What's your definition of a 'HUGE' wizard? I wrote a clip that
        defines 47 variables (if I didn't miscount), does all the search
        and replace and then clears variables.

        I haven't had any trouble yet but if I do this may give me
        another place to troubleshoot.
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
          Hi Harvey,

          >What's your definition of a 'HUGE' wizard? I wrote a clip that
          >defines 47 variables (if I didn't miscount), does all the search
          >and replace and then clears variables.

          One with many input fields in the wizard. It is resource
          dependent and perhaps the amount on items in the comboboxes. I
          think I get the error at about 30 depending on my resources at
          the time. I can close down and app or two and run the Clip. It
          is not uncommon for me to have a couple browser, two eMail
          copies, ICQ, and a number of tray utilities, etc. running at the
          same time.