Re: [Clip] square label

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2000
      Hi Ed,

      I'll save what you suggested for some other time but I want the square
      ones, I'm afraid. I was almost sure there wasn't a way to change the
      "caption" or "title" (or whatever it may be called) but wanted to make certain.

      Thanks,
      Lotta
    • Stephen Riddle
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2000
        Hi Lotta, Ed, Etc,
        I like the square bracket wizard labels too but with the curly bracket features. I
        suspect there is a very good reason for the ability of the curly bracket wizards to
        do all sorts of cool things.
        I don't know why you prefer the square brackets, but I like them in that the user
        can make a lot of choices all at the same time. I am learning to manage my curly
        bracket wizards so that I can make them easier to use. The best thing I learned in
        the last couple of days is the set command (and I've seen examples of it before,
        just learning it now though.) It can specify a whole gob of variables at the same
        time and make quite an impressive wizard.
        There seem to be other ways to group them so that they pop up all at the same time
        but I am not quite clear on the procedure except that sometimes it happens and
        sometimes not.
        I only found one thread in this list about square versus curly.
        The thread is: [Clip] Re: Execute Clip Wizards conditionally, rather than
        automatically
        and one of the messages is #391.
        Take care all, and happy December!
        Stephen
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
          Hi Stephen, Lotta, and Clippers,

          > The best thing I learned in the last couple of days is the set
          > command (and I've seen examples of it before, just learning it
          > now though.) It can specify a whole gob of variables at the
          > same time and make quite an impressive wizard.

          FYI: Huge wizards can cause the Combobox out of memory error when
          in a low resource condition.

          > There seem to be other ways to group them so that they pop up
          > all at the same time but I am not quite clear on the procedure
          > except that sometimes it happens and sometimes not.

          I did the following from memory; I hope it is all correct. <g>

          Bracket and Brace Quick Reference

          1. Brackets are interpreted before the Clip runs line by line.
          2. Braces are *not* interpreted until NoteTab gets to that line
          during the actual execution of the script.
          3. Brackets can be anywhere in the Clip to be in the same wizard.
          4. Braces must be grouped in one line to be in the same wizard
          using no command or commands such as: ^!InsertText, ^!Set,
          ^!SetArray, ^!Append, ^!Open, ^!DeleteFile...
          5. Braces can be used to make multiple multi-field wizards in one
          script when used in different parts of the script.
          6. You can use the "^!Clip" command to have either Brackets or
          Braces make multiple multi-field wizards in one complete script.
          7. Brackets and Braces can accept the "|" and "^=" code to make
          multiple list items.
          8. Brackets and Braces can accept the "(T=O)" and "(T=D)" type code
          which create a "Browse" button, but "Listboxes" (multiple items
          in pull down Combobox) cannot be used; only one default item can
          be in the wizard field with the "(T=O)" and "(T=D)" type code.
          9. Brackets accept functions, but the function code shows up in the
          wizard field(s).
          10. Braces accept functions, but the function is not seen in the
          wizard field(s). The function is evaluated and executed before
          the wizard is opened (built) so that "^$GetAppPath$" will be the
          actual path of NoteTab. (^?[=^$GetAppPath$] - ^?{=^$GetAppPath$})

          For additional information see the Help file under:

          Clip Language - Introduction (Parsing and evaluation sequence)
          Clip Language - Clip Wizard and Fields
          Lessons One/Two in ClipClass.otl:
          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

          Tips on how to use (install) the reference:

          You can add the above to an H=;Info type Clip using a long Hint like
          the following on one line which will force the window to be made
          wide:

          H=;Bracket and Brace Quick Reference - Pops up info box with information on Brackets and Braces

          If you prefer a regular Clip, do a Find ^p and Replace with ^^p on
          the text and add ^!Info in front of it. You can make the window
          wider with something like...
          ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";66)$ http://www.notetab.net ^$StrFill(" ";66)$~
          ...above the ^!Info line. :)

          You can rename ReadMe.txt to something different like ReadMe.483 and
          then save the above as ReadMe.txt to access it from the Help menu.
          (Who reads the ReadMe files anyway, eh?:)

          ...and, there is the Clipbar. ;)

          http://www.notetab.net

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
            Jody wrote:

            > FYI: Huge wizards can cause the Combobox out of memory error when
            > in a low resource condition.
            >

            > Happy Clip'n!
            > Jody

            Hi Jody,

            What's your definition of a 'HUGE' wizard? I wrote a clip that
            defines 47 variables (if I didn't miscount), does all the search
            and replace and then clears variables.

            I haven't had any trouble yet but if I do this may give me
            another place to troubleshoot.
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
              Hi Harvey,

              >What's your definition of a 'HUGE' wizard? I wrote a clip that
              >defines 47 variables (if I didn't miscount), does all the search
              >and replace and then clears variables.

              One with many input fields in the wizard. It is resource
              dependent and perhaps the amount on items in the comboboxes. I
              think I get the error at about 30 depending on my resources at
              the time. I can close down and app or two and run the Clip. It
              is not uncommon for me to have a couple browser, two eMail
              copies, ICQ, and a number of tray utilities, etc. running at the
              same time.