Re: [Clip] square label

  • Eb Guenther
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2000
      Hi Lotta,

      >Is there a way to change the caption(s) in wizards that will work with
      >square brackets? ^!SetWizardLabel ^!SetWizardTitle won't do the trick, I
      >believe. If not, can I get rid of at least the label altogether?

      Use a little bit of whizzardry to assign your own label and/or title:

      A single square bracket wizard, it doesn't display a label at all,
      unless you place one inside the brackets. So, if you want no label
      just use a single wizard in the clip, and place an "=" in front of
      the default value, like:

      ^!Set %one%=^?[=default]

      and if you do not have a default value, just:

      ^!Set %one%=^?[=]

      CAUTION: this only works with a SINGLE wizard.

      For multiple square bracket wizards, consider first WHY you
      want square brackets.

      The only reason for using square brackets is to have them
      executed before anything else in the clip. So place the
      wizards into a subroutine, which you call before any other
      commands in your clip. That way, you can use CURLY braces
      in the subroutine.

      Presto! you can manipulate the label and title!

      Instead of:

      H="outer clip"
      ^!Set %first%=^?[first name]; %last%=^?[last name]
      ^!Info ^%first% ^%last%

      use two clips:

      H="outer clip"
      ^!Clip "get names"
      ^!Info ^%first% ^%last%

      H="get names"
      ^!SetWizardTitle Whoopee
      ^!SetWizardLabel Please enter your first and last name
      ^!Set %first%=^?{first name}; %last%=^?{last name}

      Cheers,

      Eb
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2000
        Hi Eb & Lotta,

        >So, if you want no label just use a single wizard in the clip,
        >and place an "=" in front of the default value, like:
        >
        >^!Set %one%=^?[=default]

        Ah, my favorite box above. I like them skinny. :)

        H=Guess Box
        ^!SetWizardTitle ^%Space%
        ^!SetWizardLabel ^%Space%
        ^!Set %one%=^?{ }; %two%=^?{=}
        ^!Set %one%=^?{(2) }; %two%=^?{(1)}

        http://www.notetab.net

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2000
          Hi Ed,

          I'll save what you suggested for some other time but I want the square
          ones, I'm afraid. I was almost sure there wasn't a way to change the
          "caption" or "title" (or whatever it may be called) but wanted to make certain.

          Thanks,
          Lotta
        • Stephen Riddle
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2000
            Hi Lotta, Ed, Etc,
            I like the square bracket wizard labels too but with the curly bracket features. I
            suspect there is a very good reason for the ability of the curly bracket wizards to
            do all sorts of cool things.
            I don't know why you prefer the square brackets, but I like them in that the user
            can make a lot of choices all at the same time. I am learning to manage my curly
            bracket wizards so that I can make them easier to use. The best thing I learned in
            the last couple of days is the set command (and I've seen examples of it before,
            just learning it now though.) It can specify a whole gob of variables at the same
            time and make quite an impressive wizard.
            There seem to be other ways to group them so that they pop up all at the same time
            but I am not quite clear on the procedure except that sometimes it happens and
            sometimes not.
            I only found one thread in this list about square versus curly.
            The thread is: [Clip] Re: Execute Clip Wizards conditionally, rather than
            automatically
            and one of the messages is #391.
            Take care all, and happy December!
            Stephen
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
              Hi Stephen, Lotta, and Clippers,

              > The best thing I learned in the last couple of days is the set
              > command (and I've seen examples of it before, just learning it
              > now though.) It can specify a whole gob of variables at the
              > same time and make quite an impressive wizard.

              FYI: Huge wizards can cause the Combobox out of memory error when
              in a low resource condition.

              > There seem to be other ways to group them so that they pop up
              > all at the same time but I am not quite clear on the procedure
              > except that sometimes it happens and sometimes not.

              I did the following from memory; I hope it is all correct. <g>

              Bracket and Brace Quick Reference

              1. Brackets are interpreted before the Clip runs line by line.
              2. Braces are *not* interpreted until NoteTab gets to that line
              during the actual execution of the script.
              3. Brackets can be anywhere in the Clip to be in the same wizard.
              4. Braces must be grouped in one line to be in the same wizard
              using no command or commands such as: ^!InsertText, ^!Set,
              ^!SetArray, ^!Append, ^!Open, ^!DeleteFile...
              5. Braces can be used to make multiple multi-field wizards in one
              script when used in different parts of the script.
              6. You can use the "^!Clip" command to have either Brackets or
              Braces make multiple multi-field wizards in one complete script.
              7. Brackets and Braces can accept the "|" and "^=" code to make
              multiple list items.
              8. Brackets and Braces can accept the "(T=O)" and "(T=D)" type code
              which create a "Browse" button, but "Listboxes" (multiple items
              in pull down Combobox) cannot be used; only one default item can
              be in the wizard field with the "(T=O)" and "(T=D)" type code.
              9. Brackets accept functions, but the function code shows up in the
              wizard field(s).
              10. Braces accept functions, but the function is not seen in the
              wizard field(s). The function is evaluated and executed before
              the wizard is opened (built) so that "^$GetAppPath$" will be the
              actual path of NoteTab. (^?[=^$GetAppPath$] - ^?{=^$GetAppPath$})

              For additional information see the Help file under:

              Clip Language - Introduction (Parsing and evaluation sequence)
              Clip Language - Clip Wizard and Fields
              Lessons One/Two in ClipClass.otl:
              http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

              Tips on how to use (install) the reference:

              You can add the above to an H=;Info type Clip using a long Hint like
              the following on one line which will force the window to be made
              wide:

              H=;Bracket and Brace Quick Reference - Pops up info box with information on Brackets and Braces

              If you prefer a regular Clip, do a Find ^p and Replace with ^^p on
              the text and add ^!Info in front of it. You can make the window
              wider with something like...
              ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";66)$ http://www.notetab.net ^$StrFill(" ";66)$~
              ...above the ^!Info line. :)

              You can rename ReadMe.txt to something different like ReadMe.483 and
              then save the above as ReadMe.txt to access it from the Help menu.
              (Who reads the ReadMe files anyway, eh?:)

              ...and, there is the Clipbar. ;)

              http://www.notetab.net

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
                Jody wrote:

                > FYI: Huge wizards can cause the Combobox out of memory error when
                > in a low resource condition.
                >

                > Happy Clip'n!
                > Jody

                Hi Jody,

                What's your definition of a 'HUGE' wizard? I wrote a clip that
                defines 47 variables (if I didn't miscount), does all the search
                and replace and then clears variables.

                I haven't had any trouble yet but if I do this may give me
                another place to troubleshoot.
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000
                  Hi Harvey,

                  >What's your definition of a 'HUGE' wizard? I wrote a clip that
                  >defines 47 variables (if I didn't miscount), does all the search
                  >and replace and then clears variables.

                  One with many input fields in the wizard. It is resource
                  dependent and perhaps the amount on items in the comboboxes. I
                  think I get the error at about 30 depending on my resources at
                  the time. I can close down and app or two and run the Clip. It
                  is not uncommon for me to have a couple browser, two eMail
                  copies, ICQ, and a number of tray utilities, etc. running at the
                  same time.