Re: [Clip] Some Notetab suggestions

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
      Hi David,

      I just tried your method and it worked really great for me. It took me a
      while to figure out and understand what I needed to do. It is really great,
      almost like magic to me! (learned something) Thanks.

      BTW FWIW before I achieved understanding of your concept, I made a test auto
      replace library. I placed your clip

      ;clip begins on next line
      H="<t"
      ^!Select words
      ^!If ^$IsBlank(^$GetWord$)$ = 0 skip
      ^!InsertText <tt>^$GetWord$</tt>
      ^!InsertText <tt>^&</tt>
      ;---<end of clip<<

      into my auto replace library. And, what I then observed is that your clip
      works like a normal auto replace AND your clip also accomplishes the same
      end result as your described method of use in a normal library, a library
      that is not an auto replace library.

      IOW, in an auto replace library, your clip accomplishes the best of both
      worlds: It can accomplish a normal auto replace AND it can also accomplish
      the request from the java programmer.

      As method, In the auto replace library, however, I merely placed cursor next
      to (preceding) a word. then I typed <t then I struck the spacebar and it
      wrapped the word, making the wrapped word as follows

      <tt>word</tt>

      Regards. Alan.

      >David replied:
      > Hi java programmer
      >
      > You could try this:
      >
      > Use the in-Context Clipbook
      >
      > Create or use your existiing library (not auto-replace)
      >
      > Add your abbreviated clips: Example <tt (or just tt)
      > --> Start Clip
      > ^!Select words
      > ^!If ^$IsBlank(^$GetWord$)$ = 0 skip
      > ^!InsertText <tt>^$GetWord$</tt>
      > ^!InsertText <tt>^&</tt>
      > --> End Clip
      >
      > Place your cursor on the word to be 'edited' Example : foobar (does not
      need
      > to be selected)
      >
      > Press the ESC key
      >
      > Type the first characters of the clip (matching clips will automatically
      > display)
      >
      > Hit ENTER.
      >
      > The clip tag wraps around the selected word, and if there is nothing the
      > start and end tags will dispaly with the cursor placed inside.
      >

      > Good Luck

      >>>java programmer wrote:
      >>Jody replied:
      <snipped>
      > > >I use auto-replace (auto complete) clips quite
      > > >often but I often run into situations where I want
      > > >to wrap existing text with html tags.
      > > >
      > > >So for example, if I have:
      > > >
      > > >foobar
      > > >
      > > >I want
      > > >
      > > ><tt>foobar</tt>
      > >
      > > >Is there any way (this would be a real real life saver) whereby
      > > >we can specify an option where if the auto replace tag is typed
      > > >adjacent to exiting text, then the auto-replace tag automatically
      > > >wraps the text ?
      <snipped>