Re: [Clip] Clip to move clips between libraries?

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8 9:42 AM
      Hi Jonathan,

      A Clip could be built, but the one I'm thinking of would be just
      as much trouble as doing it manually. I keep Headers showing and
      have the Clip Editor open the majority of the time. I normally
      focus it, copy the name, right click over the Clipbook combo box,
      and open the Library as a document. I then do a Find for the
      Clip and select all the Clips I want to copy/cut. Then I switch
      to the Library I want and "Add from Clipboard."

      > Has anyone written a clip to make moving clips from one library
      > to another easier?

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8 1:45 PM
        Hi Jonathan,

        >I sometimes want to move several clips from one library to the same other
        >library in periodic clip weeding campaigns. Doing it manually works but I
        >sometimes wonder if there's an easier way.

        I don't have time to work this out, but here are the
        four key elements to go into such a clip (you will
        have to decide for yourself how you want these steps
        sequenced -- you may for example want to copy and
        delete in the same step, but this has the disavantage
        that all copied clips will be deleted):

        1. A checkbox wizard that lets you easily collect the names
        of the clips you want to copy/move. There was some
        discussion here a few weeks ago, about capturing a list
        of clips in a given library.

        2. Mark each clip in a library with its own name at the end:

        Use item 1 to select ALL clips,
        loop through the clips, copying them to a balnk document
        as you APPEND a MARKER to each clip:

        H="clipname"
        {clip body}
        ;END_clipname

        with the command line

        ;one long line to copy the clip with the marker
        ^!Insert H="^%clipname%"^%NL%^$GetClipText(^%clipname%)$^%NL%;END ^%Clipname%

        Then load the original library as a document, and
        overwrite all BUT the library header with the new
        "MARKED" clips.

        3. Use item 1 to select those clips you want to COPY
        to the active document (another library).
        Using the following line in a loop that processes
        all selected clips:

        ^!Insert H="^%clipname%"^%NL%^$GetClipText(^%clipname%)$

        4. Using item 1, select the list of clips you want to
        delete from the original library, and in a loop
        delete them from the active document (hopefully you've
        been changing the active document accordingly) using
        the following regular expression to highlight each
        desired clip:

        ^!Find H="^%clipname%"\n\a\n;END_^%clipname% RIS

        Get in the habit now to mark all clip ends as suggested.
        It is usefull for a nbumber of things.

        Oh, when you mess around with libraries this way, work on
        a backup! !! And don't bother with functions like
        ^!SetScreenUpdate
        to hide the action from view -- you are better off seeing what is
        happening, to perhaps prevent disawster.

        Good luck, and let us in on your finished clip.

        Eb
      • Eb Guenther
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9 9:42 AM
          Hi Jody,

          >... open the Library as a document. I then do a Find for the
          >Clip and select all the Clips I want to copy/cut. Then I switch
          >to the Library I want and "Add from Clipboard."

          What if the clips are not grouped together, such as when someone
          wants to consolidate a few scattered clips from a libray to one
          library of most-used clips?

          I suggested the (few) elements needed for moving/copying
          clips to another library in my other post in this thread.

          On the surface it doesn't look that hard.

          Cheers,

          Eb
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9 11:37 AM
            Hi Eb,

            >>... open the Library as a document. I then do a Find for the
            >>Clip and select all the Clips I want to copy/cut. Then I switch
            >>to the Library I want and "Add from Clipboard."
            >
            >What if the clips are not grouped together, such as when someone
            >wants to consolidate a few scattered clips from a libray to one
            >library of most-used clips?

            I usually use Paste Board then and if I have a number of them to
            do I set my Paste Board Divider up as blank line, blank line, H=.
            I open the Clip Editor and copy the Clips I want.

            >On the surface it doesn't look that hard.

            It is not that it is hard, but I just don't think much time or
            hassle would be saved by spending the time building a Clip to do
            it. I saw your other post. Using a checkbox wizard and Array is
            what I had thought of and just figured that it wasn't worth it,
            but you can build it. <g> I wouldn't use it because I need to
            see me Clips to see which ones I want to move when I am doing a
            group. I have 1000s of Clips and don't know what the most of
            them do with looking at them - the name isn't enough and I don't
            have the all commented or a tip to be seen on the Statusbar. I
            seldom move them as well and it would take me longer to find the
            Clip than it would to move them manually. <g>

            I think maybe a Clipbar tool would be handy in this case using
            Paste Board, ^!SetClipboard H=^$GetText$ scrolling down the Clips
            with the Clip Editor open. Just hit the Clipbar Clip on the ones
            you want.

            ^!SetClipboard H=^$GetText$

            -- end of clip ---

            Actually, I use one of my Delete Clip (from the Clipbar) just
            about daily. ;) It could be used with the above.

            <--- Copy below this line --->
            H=Delete Clip StatusShow Trashed!
            ; Last Updated ??/??/????, Jody@...
            ; http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            ^!SetFocus Clipbook
            ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 D Enter Down
            ^!StatusShow Clip Trashed!
            ^!Delay 10

            <--- Copy above this line, right --->
            <--- click over a Library, and --->
            <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • Jonathan Woodbridge
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10 7:53 PM
              Hello Jody, Dave and Eb,

              Thanks for the responses. I never knew that right-clicking on the libraries
              combo box could open them as a document! Very nice.

              But there were some things I need more details to understand:

              Dave:
              > I find it just as easy to add the lib. list to a favourites [HAVE TO ADD
              EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY?] and it comes
              > up on the left side [WHAT COMES UP?? IN WHAT WINDOW?] double click on the
              clb's [WHERE??] and cut and paste the clips where ever
              > you want them.

              And Eb, thanks for laying out the bits of what would be involved. However,
              after I looked at your explanation, and reread Help and found a faster way
              of doing it manually, I agree with Jody that the effort involved seems as
              though it wouldn't be worth it for me.

              Jonathan Woodbridge wrote:

              > Has anyone written a clip to make moving clips from one library
              > to another easier?

              Thanks,

              Jonathan
            • Jonathan Woodbridge
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10 7:53 PM
                Trying to make moving clips between libraries easier, I eventually tried
                reading the Help. I found that you can open one library as a document, open
                the other library in the clipbook, select the clip in the document and press
                Ctrl-Shift-C to Copy (or X to Cut ) the clip from the document into the
                clipbook. I didn't know it was that easy.

                Moving a clip the other way is slower, you have to Copy to Clipboard, then
                Delete Clip (there is no Cut to Clipboard here) focus the document and
                choose Paste, and you have to add the header.

                I find these ways easier than opening both libraries as documents and moving
                selections from one to the other.

                thanks,

                Jonathan
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10 11:13 PM
                  Hi Jonathan,

                  >Thanks for the responses. I never knew that right-clicking on the
                  >libraries combo box could open them as a document! Very nice.

                  Yes, I did not mention the Copy to Clipboard and then Add from
                  Clipboard before because I figured you knew that and was looking
                  to move a range of Clips easier. I use that Delete Clip I sent in
                  before because I am a mouser and keyboard shortcuts slow me down.