Clip to move clips between libraries?

  • Jonathan Woodbridge
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2000
      Has anyone written a clip to make moving clips from one library to another
      easier? (Or even from one part of a library to another part.) I sometimes
      want to move several clips from one library to the same other library in
      periodic clip weeding campaigns. Doing it manually works but I sometimes
      wonder if there's an easier way.

      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2000
        Hi Jonathan,

        A Clip could be built, but the one I'm thinking of would be just
        as much trouble as doing it manually. I keep Headers showing and
        have the Clip Editor open the majority of the time. I normally
        focus it, copy the name, right click over the Clipbook combo box,
        and open the Library as a document. I then do a Find for the
        Clip and select all the Clips I want to copy/cut. Then I switch
        to the Library I want and "Add from Clipboard."

        > Has anyone written a clip to make moving clips from one library
        > to another easier?

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Eb Guenther
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2000
          Hi Jonathan,

          >I sometimes want to move several clips from one library to the same other
          >library in periodic clip weeding campaigns. Doing it manually works but I
          >sometimes wonder if there's an easier way.

          I don't have time to work this out, but here are the
          four key elements to go into such a clip (you will
          have to decide for yourself how you want these steps
          sequenced -- you may for example want to copy and
          delete in the same step, but this has the disavantage
          that all copied clips will be deleted):

          1. A checkbox wizard that lets you easily collect the names
          of the clips you want to copy/move. There was some
          discussion here a few weeks ago, about capturing a list
          of clips in a given library.

          2. Mark each clip in a library with its own name at the end:

          Use item 1 to select ALL clips,
          loop through the clips, copying them to a balnk document
          as you APPEND a MARKER to each clip:

          H="clipname"
          {clip body}
          ;END_clipname

          with the command line

          ;one long line to copy the clip with the marker
          ^!Insert H="^%clipname%"^%NL%^$GetClipText(^%clipname%)$^%NL%;END ^%Clipname%

          Then load the original library as a document, and
          overwrite all BUT the library header with the new
          "MARKED" clips.

          3. Use item 1 to select those clips you want to COPY
          to the active document (another library).
          Using the following line in a loop that processes
          all selected clips:

          ^!Insert H="^%clipname%"^%NL%^$GetClipText(^%clipname%)$

          4. Using item 1, select the list of clips you want to
          delete from the original library, and in a loop
          delete them from the active document (hopefully you've
          been changing the active document accordingly) using
          the following regular expression to highlight each
          desired clip:

          ^!Find H="^%clipname%"\n\a\n;END_^%clipname% RIS

          Get in the habit now to mark all clip ends as suggested.
          It is usefull for a nbumber of things.

          Oh, when you mess around with libraries this way, work on
          a backup! !! And don't bother with functions like
          ^!SetScreenUpdate
          to hide the action from view -- you are better off seeing what is
          happening, to perhaps prevent disawster.

          Good luck, and let us in on your finished clip.

          Eb
        • Eb Guenther
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            >... open the Library as a document. I then do a Find for the
            >Clip and select all the Clips I want to copy/cut. Then I switch
            >to the Library I want and "Add from Clipboard."

            What if the clips are not grouped together, such as when someone
            wants to consolidate a few scattered clips from a libray to one
            library of most-used clips?

            I suggested the (few) elements needed for moving/copying
            clips to another library in my other post in this thread.

            On the surface it doesn't look that hard.

            Cheers,

            Eb
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 9, 2000
              Hi Eb,

              >>... open the Library as a document. I then do a Find for the
              >>Clip and select all the Clips I want to copy/cut. Then I switch
              >>to the Library I want and "Add from Clipboard."
              >
              >What if the clips are not grouped together, such as when someone
              >wants to consolidate a few scattered clips from a libray to one
              >library of most-used clips?

              I usually use Paste Board then and if I have a number of them to
              do I set my Paste Board Divider up as blank line, blank line, H=.
              I open the Clip Editor and copy the Clips I want.

              >On the surface it doesn't look that hard.

              It is not that it is hard, but I just don't think much time or
              hassle would be saved by spending the time building a Clip to do
              it. I saw your other post. Using a checkbox wizard and Array is
              what I had thought of and just figured that it wasn't worth it,
              but you can build it. <g> I wouldn't use it because I need to
              see me Clips to see which ones I want to move when I am doing a
              group. I have 1000s of Clips and don't know what the most of
              them do with looking at them - the name isn't enough and I don't
              have the all commented or a tip to be seen on the Statusbar. I
              seldom move them as well and it would take me longer to find the
              Clip than it would to move them manually. <g>

              I think maybe a Clipbar tool would be handy in this case using
              Paste Board, ^!SetClipboard H=^$GetText$ scrolling down the Clips
              with the Clip Editor open. Just hit the Clipbar Clip on the ones
              you want.

              ^!SetClipboard H=^$GetText$

              -- end of clip ---

              Actually, I use one of my Delete Clip (from the Clipbar) just
              about daily. ;) It could be used with the above.

              <--- Copy below this line --->
              H=Delete Clip StatusShow Trashed!
              ; Last Updated ??/??/????, Jody@...
              ; http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              ^!SetFocus Clipbook
              ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 D Enter Down
              ^!StatusShow Clip Trashed!
              ^!Delay 10

              <--- Copy above this line, right --->
              <--- click over a Library, and --->
              <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2000
                Hello Jody, Dave and Eb,

                Thanks for the responses. I never knew that right-clicking on the libraries
                combo box could open them as a document! Very nice.

                But there were some things I need more details to understand:

                Dave:
                > I find it just as easy to add the lib. list to a favourites [HAVE TO ADD
                EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY?] and it comes
                > up on the left side [WHAT COMES UP?? IN WHAT WINDOW?] double click on the
                clb's [WHERE??] and cut and paste the clips where ever
                > you want them.

                And Eb, thanks for laying out the bits of what would be involved. However,
                after I looked at your explanation, and reread Help and found a faster way
                of doing it manually, I agree with Jody that the effort involved seems as
                though it wouldn't be worth it for me.

                Jonathan Woodbridge wrote:

                > Has anyone written a clip to make moving clips from one library
                > to another easier?

                Thanks,

                Jonathan
              • Jonathan Woodbridge
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10, 2000
                  Trying to make moving clips between libraries easier, I eventually tried
                  reading the Help. I found that you can open one library as a document, open
                  the other library in the clipbook, select the clip in the document and press
                  Ctrl-Shift-C to Copy (or X to Cut ) the clip from the document into the
                  clipbook. I didn't know it was that easy.

                  Moving a clip the other way is slower, you have to Copy to Clipboard, then
                  Delete Clip (there is no Cut to Clipboard here) focus the document and
                  choose Paste, and you have to add the header.

                  I find these ways easier than opening both libraries as documents and moving
                  selections from one to the other.

                  thanks,

                  Jonathan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2000
                    Hi Jonathan,

                    >Thanks for the responses. I never knew that right-clicking on the
                    >libraries combo box could open them as a document! Very nice.

                    Yes, I did not mention the Copy to Clipboard and then Add from
                    Clipboard before because I figured you knew that and was looking
                    to move a range of Clips easier. I use that Delete Clip I sent in
                    before because I am a mouser and keyboard shortcuts slow me down.