Re: [Clip] Help

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi Richard,

      At 02:09 AM 10/05/2000 +0100, you wrote:
      >Hi,
      >
      >I'm trying to write add a heading to an outline with the date and a number.
      >This is as far as I've got:
      >
      >^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$
      >
      >I just can't work out how to do the number part. Can anyone help?
      >
      >Richard

      This clip should do the job.

      ^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$.^$Calc(^$GetTopicIndex$+1;0)$

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2000
        Hi Larry, Richard,

        >^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$.^$Calc(^$GetTopicIndex$+1;0)$

        Just to be on the safe side, I would use "^$GetTopicCount$" rather
        than "^$GetTopicIndex$", to be sure that the new topic doesn't get
        an unintentional duplicate topic number in it's name (i.e. if the
        cursor is on a heading that is not the last to have been added).

        I.e.:
        ^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$.^$Calc(^$GetTopicCount$+1;0)$

        Cheers,

        Eb
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2000
          Hi Eb,

          At 10:31 AM 10/05/2000 -0400, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry, Richard,
          >

          >>^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$.^$Calc(^$GetTopicIndex$+1;0)$
          >

          >Just to be on the safe side, I would use "^$GetTopicCount$" rather
          >than "^$GetTopicIndex$", to be sure that the new topic doesn't get
          >an unintentional duplicate topic number in it's name (i.e. if the
          >cursor is on a heading that is not the last to have been added).
          >
          >I.e.:
          >^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$.^$Calc(^$GetTopicCount$+1;0)$

          ;-)

          That was, in actual fact, the first clip that I wrote and then I changed it
          because I thought , 'What if he inserts the new heading somewhere before
          the last topic?'. Stupid me! The clip should be:

          ^!Jump DOC_END
          ^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$.^$Calc(^$GetTopicCount$+1;0)$

          Which takes care of the whole problem. Yes??? Unless he wants to be able
          to specify the starting number and the increment/decrement value. ê¿ê

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Clint Tredway
          Message 4 of 11 , May 24 8:01 AM
            If I leave any of the fields blank I get an error at the Jump command?

            Any ideas?

            From: "Ville Saalo" <villes@...>
            Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:02:26 +0300

            >I have a question that I cannot figure out.
            >
            >Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions... How do I
            not show one of the parameters if I leave it blank?

            >Thanks!

            I think this will do it:

            ;####### begin clip (6 lines long) #####
            ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^?[Your name:=John])$ = 1 ^!Jump +2
            Name: ^?[Your name:]^%nl%
            ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^?[Your location:=Earth])$ = 1 ^!Jump +2
            Location: ^?[Your location:]
            ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^?[Your NoteTab version:=Pro])$ = 1 ^!Jump +2
            NTB version: ^?[Your NoteTab version:]
            ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^?[The answer:=42])$ = 1 ^!Jump +2
            Answer to question 4: ^?[The answer:]
            ;####### end clip #####

            -Ville

          • Ville Saalo
            Message 5 of 11 , May 24 8:02 AM

              Message 6 of 11 , May 24 8:04 AM
                Ok, here is an example:

                <CF_BH_INTRANETROUNDHEADER TITLE="^?[Title]"
                Width="^?[Width:]"
                BACKCOLOR="^?[Color:=_blue|gold|rust]"
                ForeColor="^?[Font Color:=_white|black]"
                LINKTITLE="^?[Link Title:]"
                LINKURL="^?[URL:]">

                If I leave any of the above fields blank, I do not want to show the empty fields.. Am I making sense now?

                Thanks for the help..

                From: hsavage <hsavage@...>
                Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:07:17 -0500

                > Clint Tredway wrote:
                >
                > I have a question that I cannot figure out.
                >
                > Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions... How do I not show one
                of the parameters if I leave it blank?

                > Thanks!

                Clint,

                There are several answers, depending on what you need. You could use
                the ^%empty% variable or double, double quotes, to be placeholders, or,
                ^$IsEmpty(Value)$ to skip over a parameter.

                There would also be other ways to skip a blank parameter.

                ^!IfDiff
                ^IfSame
                ^!If

                A sample question and further explanation of what not to show would be
                helpful.

                hrs

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , May 24 8:07 AM
                  > Clint Tredway wrote:
                  >
                  > I have a question that I cannot figure out.
                  >
                  > Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions... How do I not show one
                  of the parameters if I leave it blank?

                  > Thanks!

                  Clint,

                  There are several answers, depending on what you need. You could use
                  the ^%empty% variable or double, double quotes, to be placeholders, or,
                  ^$IsEmpty(Value)$ to skip over a parameter.

                  There would also be other ways to skip a blank parameter.

                  ^!IfDiff
                  ^IfSame
                  ^!If

                  A sample question and further explanation of what not to show would be
                  helpful.

                  hrs
                • Jason Waugh
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 24 8:20 AM
                    Hi Clint,

                    CT> <CF_BH_INTRANETROUNDHEADER TITLE="^?[Title]"
                    CT> Width="^?[Width:]"
                    CT> BACKCOLOR="^?[Color:=_blue|gold|rust]"
                    CT> ForeColor="^?[Font Color:=_white|black]"
                    CT> LINKTITLE="^?[Link Title:]"
                    CT> LINKURL="^?[URL:]">

                    CT> If I leave any of the above fields blank, I do not want to show the empty fields.. Am I making
                    CT> sense now?

                    Try this, (copied from the NoteTab help files) - note, I just tried
                    this and it works well. You will have to put your whole command on
                    one long line though ;)

                    ^!InsertWizardHtml Any text with tokens (^p/^t) (added in v4.8):

                    Similar to ^!InsertHtml command, but removes attributes that have no
                    value. This command is useful when used together with the Clip wizard.
                    It allows the user to leave certain fields blank in the Wizard, and
                    the corresponding tags are then automatically removed before being
                    inserted in the document.

                    Example: ^!InsertWizardHtml <TD ALIGN="" WIDTH=""> will insert the
                    following tag in your document: <TD>

                    Jason Waugh
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 24 8:21 AM
                      The underline creates a default. Leave off the underline and there will be
                      nothing there, hence blank like you want it I believe.
                      ForeColor="^?[Font Color:=white|black]"

                      --
                      Don Passenger
                      mailto:dpasseng@...
                      > <CF_BH_INTRANETROUNDHEADER TITLE="^?[Title]"
                      > Width="^?[Width:]"
                      > BACKCOLOR="^?[Color:=_blue|gold|rust]"
                      > ForeColor="^?[Font Color:=_white|black]"
                      > LINKTITLE="^?[Link Title:]"
                      > LINKURL="^?[URL:]">
                      >
                      > If I leave any of the above fields blank, I do not want to show the empty
                      fields.. Am I making sense now?

                      > Thanks for the help..

                      > From: hsavage <hsavage@...>
                      > Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:07:17 -0500
                      >
                      > > Clint Tredway wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have a question that I cannot figure out.
                      > >
                      > > Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions... How do I not show one
                      > of the parameters if I leave it blank?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      >
                      > Clint,
                      >
                      > There are several answers, depending on what you need. You could use
                      > the ^%empty% variable or double, double quotes, to be placeholders, or,
                      > ^$IsEmpty(Value)$ to skip over a parameter.
                      >
                      > There would also be other ways to skip a blank parameter.
                      >
                      > ^!IfDiff
                      > ^IfSame
                      > ^!If
                      >
                      > A sample question and further explanation of what not to show would be
                      > helpful.
                      >
                      > hrs

                    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 24 1:51 PM
                        Clint Tredway wrote:

                        > I think this will do it:
                        >
                        > ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^?[Your name:=John])$ = 1 ^!Jump +2
                        > Name: ^?[Your name:]^%nl%

                        Here are some ways to improve on that.

                        Use "^!IfTrue" rather than "^!If".

                        Doing so makes the clip slightly faster, more reliable, easier to read
                        and eliminates the need for the "=1".

                        "^!Jump +2" moves the cursor two lines down in the document window.

                        You are confusing it with "^!Goto SKIP_2"

                        But with the If-type commands, ^!Goto is not needed.

                        So I would change your example to:
                        (Note the need to only skip over one line, not two)

                        ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^?[Your name:=John])$ Skip
                        Name: ^?[Your name:]^%nl%

                        But it will also work like this: (one long line)

                        ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^?[Your name:=John])$ ^!InsertText Name: ^?[Your name:]^%nl%
                      • Christine F. Muehling
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 27, 2002
                          I realize this is old news to the list by now, but I am catching up on years
                          of posts, trying to learn more.
                          Wayne and all other gentlemen involved: This clip is going to save me some
                          real time! I appreciate it. I could never figure out how to get rid of
                          empty tags, even sometimes using the ^!InsertWizardHtml. Sometimes I
                          couldn't get it set right, and I'd still end up with empty tags.

                          Thanks!
                          Christine