Re: [Clip] New to clips

  • gruendemann
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
      Sauron,
      I make up a document called "study guide", that I keep track of the help
      topics I last worked on. This cuts down on printer ink!!! :-) I also keep
      notes as to any web pages that help for that particular section i'm
      working on. Kind of a personal journal of learning. Then I can go back
      when I'm done, and if I chose.... I can share the file with others as a
      guide to those starting out, or as a refresher should I download one of
      those life-hog softwares that takes up every precious minute to coddle.
      Hope this helps.
      cheryl........ (new kid in town) :-)

      Sauron wrote:

      > Ok then, I dl'ed a HTML one. And put it in libraries. And, well it's hard
      > to pick out names that say HTML, but, I think I put it there. I would guess
      > it wasn't there before. About that folder, I must say there are a lot of
      > files there to start with! Don't it get crowded, hard to manage? I did see
      > my first clip there, and it still doesn't show in Notetab itself.
      >

      > > You certainly want to read Clip Basics and I suggest you do that
      > > first. It is not too long at all.
      >
      > Where is Clip Basics in the Help Contents?
      >
      > I must say the Help is helpful! You can't help but return to it. Might be
      > nice if Help indented the same section you were reading last time to come
      > back in the same spot.
    • Richard Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
        Hi,

        I'm trying to write add a heading to an outline with the date and a number.
        This is as far as I've got:

        ^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$

        I just can't work out how to do the number part. Can anyone help?

        Richard
      • Clint Tredway
        Message 3 of 18 , May 24, 2002
          I have a question that I cannot figure out.

          Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions... How do I not show one of the parameters if I leave it blank?

          Thanks!
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 18 , May 24, 2002
            On Fri, 24 May 2002 09:40:00 -0400, you wrote:

            >I have a question that I cannot figure out.
            >
            >Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions...
            >How do I not show one of the parameters if I leave it blank?

            Here is a clip that demonstrates several things...

            * Not displaying information that is left blank.

            * Building a wizard without requiring long lines, by using the
            append command and executing commands from within a variable

            * Remembers previous values when wizard is repeated
            (but not for the checkboxes, as SetDefaultValue does not work
            with checkbox fields. Maybe Eric can fix that for us.)

            * How to use checkboxes in a wizard

            * Using arrays in NoteTab.

            * Detecting if the user cancelled the wizard.

            Do not let the length of this example discourage you. It is not
            as difficult as it may first appear, and it is worth taking the time
            to understand.

            ;### Create the prompt bit by bit to avoid have one really long line
            :Start
            ^!ClearVariable %Prompt%
            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Name%="^?{Name=^%Name%}"; "
            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Age%="^?{Age=^%Age%}"; "
            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Score%="^?{Score=^%Score%}"; "
            ^!Set %ColorList%="red|orange|yellow|green|blue|violet|white|black|gold"
            ;### SetDefaultValue does not (yet) work with checkbox arrays.
            ;### ^!Set %ColorList%=^$SetDefaultValue(^%ColorList%;^%Colors%)$
            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Colors%="^?{(T=A;H=10)Colors=^%ColorList%}""
            ^!SetWizardTitle "Wizard Example"
            ;### The above append statements merely store the wizard programming in
            ;### a variable. The next line is when the wizard is actually displayed.
            ^!Set ^%Prompt%
            ^!IfCancel WizCancelled
            ;### Prepare the results for display, skipping items left blank.
            ^!ClearVariable %Output%
            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%Name%)$ ^!Append %Output%="Name is: ^%Name% ^%NL%"
            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%Age%)$ ^!Append %Output%="Age: ^%Age% ^%NL%"
            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%City%)$ ^!Append %Output%="City: ^%city% ^%NL%"
            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%Score%)$ ^!Append %Output%="Score: ^%Score% ^%NL%"
            ;### Convert the list of selected colors into proper English.
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Colors%)$ FinishedColors
            ^!SetArray %ColorArray%="^%Colors%"
            ^!If ^%ColorArray0% = 1 ^!Append %Output%="Your color is "
            ^!If ^%ColorArray0% > 1 ^!Append %Output%="Your colors are "
            ^!Set %ColorIndex%=1
            :ColorLoop
            ^!Append %Output%=^%ColorArray^%ColorIndex%%
            ^!Inc %ColorIndex%
            ^!If ^%ColorIndex% < ^%ColorArray0% ^!Append %Output%=", "
            ^!If ^%ColorIndex% = ^%ColorArray0% ^!Append %Output%=" and "
            ^!If ^%ColorIndex% > ^%ColorArray0% FinishedColors
            ^!Goto ColorLoop
            :FinishedColors
            ;### Display all the output
            ^!Prompt ^%Output%
            ^!Goto Start
            ;###If the user hit Cancel in the Wizard
            :WizCancelled
            ^!Info Goodbye.
          • Charles M. Raine
            Message 5 of 18 , May 24, 2002
              On Fri, 24 May 2002 13:40:38 -0700, Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

              >Here is a clip that demonstrates several things...

              Hi Wayne:

              Tis' good to see you back on the list and as usual, a great example of
              Notetab script. I heartily agree with you that anyone interested in clip
              writing should study what you wrote, as there is a lot to be learned from
              that relatively short clip. I don't know if you intentionally left out the
              prompt append line for City, but I have added it in and changed the order
              a bit and am including my version (which I will save for future reference,
              as I always do, with your words of wisdom!).

              I have been patiently waiting for your Notetab Reference Outline (Update),
              but I guess Eric is keeping you busy with all the New Functions and
              Commands he keeps adding. It's like chasing a moving target. <g>

              My example:

              ;### Create the prompt bit by bit to avoid having one really long line
              :Start
              ^!ClearVariable %Prompt%
              ^!Append %Prompt%="%Name%="^?{Name=^%Name%}"; "
              ^!Append %Prompt%="%City%="^?{City=^%City%}"; "
[...]
            • Alan C.
              Message 6 of 18 , May 25, 2002
                Hi,

                I studied Wayne's marvelous clip.

                Then one thing led to another. I began playing with setting, testing for certain matches, based on a particular match then go to a certain label. (ok, yes, I admit it, I also wanted to see how close I could get to having remembered list items repeated or not, based on choice)

                For those who are newer at the clip lingo it has multiplicity of possible routes based on choice that are set into variable and multiplicity test for match and then based on a certain one of multiple possible matches, go to the correspondingly named label according to the match.

                There's only one long line it's the ^!Set line underneath :init4
                ^!IfCancel begins the next line after that long ^!Set line

                H="stuff_123"
                :init1
                ^!Set %ColorList%="red|orange|yellow|green|blue|violet|white|black|gold"
                :init2
                ^!SetWizardTitle >>>>>>>> cancel button ends <<<<<<<<<<<
                ^!SetWizardLabel >>>>>>>>> This is Color List <<<<<<<<<<<<
                ^!Set %MyColors%=^?{(T=A;H=10)Colors=^%ColorList%}
                ^!IfCancel WizCancelled
                :init3
                ^!SetWizardTitle <>>>> Color(s) are <><> Color(s) are <<<<>
                ^!Info Your color(s) are ^%MyColors%
                :init4
                ^!SetWizardTitle have fun have fun have fun
                ^!SetWizardLabel >>>>>>>> cancel button ends <<<<<<<<<<<
                ^!Set %MyColors%=^?{(H=10)your Colors=^%MyColors%}; %list%=^?{(H=3)Color List again?==yes|no^=no_list}
                ^!IfCancel WizCancelled
                ; where to go from here?
                ^!IfSame "^%list%" "no_list" init3
                ^!IfSame "^%list%" "yes" init2
                ^!IfFalse ^%list% NeedToChoose
                ; next line always is not in any active route
                ^!Prompt The always skipped prompt
                :NeedToChoose
                ^!Prompt Hi. Please choose 1 from Color List again? field.
                ^!Goto init4
                :WizCancelled
                ^!Prompt Bye bye Hope had fun!
                ; -----<end clip<<

                Regard. Alan.
              • Peter G Henry
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 15, 2010
                  ?Hi

                  Please forgive an old very old gentleman who has just 8 brain cells left 7 are for normal life 8 keeps dimming when confronted with thinking.

                  Could someone explain How to get the %ArrayYears% numbers, in Dave M's clip that creates Calendar outline.

                  ;// Name of [FirstDay of the year + LengthFebruary] 2000 -> 2005
                  ;// nDD n=1->Su; n=2->Mo;... -> %ArrayDaysEngS%
                  ;// nDD DD = Length of February
                  ^!SetArray %ArrayYears%=729;228;328;428;529;728

                  It has completely puzzled me. Hope group does not mind me posting this.

                  kindest regards

                  Peter

                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 16, 2010
                    On 9/15/2010 9:46 PM, Peter G Henry wrote:
                    > ?Hi
                    >
                    > Please forgive an old very old gentleman who has just 8 brain cells left 7 are for normal life 8 keeps dimming when confronted with thinking.
                    >
                    > Could someone explain How to get the %ArrayYears% numbers, in Dave M's clip that creates Calendar outline.
                    >

                    > ;// Name of [FirstDay of the year + LengthFebruary] 2000 -> 2005
                    > ;// nDD n=1->Su; n=2->Mo;... -> %ArrayDaysEngS%
                    > ;// nDD DD = Length of February
                    > ^!SetArray %ArrayYears%=729;228;328;428;529;728
                    >
                    > It has completely puzzled me. Hope group does not mind me posting this.
                    >
                    > kindest regards
                    >
                    > Peter

                    I haven't run the clip, but glad to try :)

                    Based on your quotation, it looks to me like there are six entries to
                    represent the years 2000 through 2005.

                    The high order number in each of the entries is the day of the week of
                    the first day of that year where Sunday is 1 and Saturday is 7. So in
                    the year 2000, the first day of the year must have been a Saturday.
                    Looked it up and confirmed.

                    The rest of the entry is the number of days in February for that year.
                    The year 2000 was a leap year, there were 29 days in February. Hence the
                    first entry in %ArrayYears% is 729.

                    Guess you need to refer to a calendar for the info needed to specify a
                    given year. The year 2010 would be 628.