Re: [Clip] New to clips

  • Sauron
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
      I guess what I'd like is someone to suggest any simple particular clip to
      start with. Quite a lot there are to find, though most with fairly strange
      purposes, hard to fathom quick.

      I did download one. But it did not appear at the bottom. And I scrolled
      too, but not there.
    • rainmark@att.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
        Hi Sauron and Larry,
        Larry didn't mention this although I'm sure he's aware
        of it, but you can get all your clip buttons to show at
        the bottom of NoteTab by going to the View menu -
        Options - the Clipbook tab - and at the bottom of the
        window, check the Stack Buttons option. Also, you can
        uncheck the Show Button Icons option to save room and
        get more buttons in the space.
        Mark
      • rainmark@att.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
          Hi Sauron,
          You DO have to move the library to your libraries
          folder, which is located in your NoteTab folder.
          Downloading is only half the battle. If you have Winzip,
          you can Extract the library directly from Winzip into
          your NoteTab Libraries folder (if you download the
          library as a zip file). If the library doesn't show up
          after doing this, close and reopen NoteTab. You
          shouldn't have to do this but anyway...

          Just start with a library that catches your fancy.
          Mark
          > I guess what I'd like is someone to suggest any simple particular clip to
          > start with. Quite a lot there are to find, though most with fairly strange
          > purposes, hard to fathom quick.
          >
          > I did download one. But it did not appear at the bottom. And I scrolled
          > too, but not there.
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
            Hi Sauron,

            At 05:29 PM 10/03/2000 -0230, you wrote:
            >I guess what I'd like is someone to suggest any simple particular clip to
            >start with. Quite a lot there are to find, though most with fairly strange
            >purposes, hard to fathom quick.

            Actually the easiest clips to try are the paste text clips that come with
            NoteTab. Open the Acronyms clip book or the Smilies clipbook, then open a
            new document so that you do not mess up an existing document and double
            click on one of the clips. What you should get is the text in the clip
            pasted into your new document. So far as clips with commands in them, go
            to the Launch library that is provided as a sample. All of the clips are
            intended as examples of how to launch programs from NoteTab. Just double
            click on calculator for example and the Windows calculator will open. You
            can place your pointer over the combo box with the library name in it and
            right-click and select "Open as Document" to see the whole clipbook library
            as a plain text file. That will allow you to see the clip code in all of
            the clips in that library.

            >I did download one. But it did not appear at the bottom. And I scrolled
            >too, but not there.

            First, did you place it into the libraries folder? If not, it will not
            appear on the button bar. Second, check the file by dropping down the
            combo box at the top of the clipbook panel and scrolling to see if it is
            there. Then check to make sure that the file is in the folder and has a
            .clb extension and finally check the file's attributes on the HD. If it is
            set as a hidden file, it will not be displayed on the button bar.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
              Hi Wayland,

              >I get confused, also.

              We all do when we look at something new and even when writing
              advanced Clips trying to debug them at times.

              Ask questions!!! Don't worry about what others might think. so
              what if you make a fool of yourself. I do it all the time and it
              really isn't all that bad. <g> I surely learn better like that
              though. Embarrassment is a good teacher for me. ;)

              >Oh, your name is somewhat ominous. Jody, who normally responds
              >to almost all these emails,

              I sure thank Larry and the others for helping out, especially now
              while I am catching up after being shut down for a week.

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
                Hi Sauron,

                >I guess what I'd like is someone to suggest any simple particular
                >clip to start with. Quite a lot there are to find, though most
                >with fairly strange purposes, hard to fathom quick.

                If you do HTML, then NoteTab's HTML Library would be a good one
                to study. SampleCode is a good one also along with Utilities. I
                think the easiest way to look at the Clips when wanting to get
                started is right click over the first in a Library, choose "Edit
                Clip...", and start going down the list of Clips. If something
                looks too difficult, skip it by clicking on the next. NoteTab's
                are good to study, because Eric put comments in them all to help
                out.

                You certainly want to read Clip Basics and I suggest you do that
                first. It is not too long at all. You can get to it easily by
                typing in clip in the Find portion of Help looking in the lower
                half of the window. Don't forget about the Glossary under the
                Help menu too. It is hard to learn if you do not know what a
                word in Help or in clip comments means.

                >I did download one. But it did not appear at the bottom. And I
                >scrolled too, but not there.

                As Mark said, put it in the NoteTab Libraries folder. If you are
                in NoteTab while doing such as doing a Save As... because you
                opening directly from your zip utility and have .clb associated
                with NoteTab you can switch out then back into NoteTab for it to
                show up or in the combobox above the Clips in the Clipbook right
                click and choose "Update List."

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Ok then, I dl'ed a HTML one. And put it in libraries. And, well it's hard
                  to pick out names that say HTML, but, I think I put it there. I would guess
                  it wasn't there before. About that folder, I must say there are a lot of
                  files there to start with! Don't it get crowded, hard to manage? I did see
                  my first clip there, and it still doesn't show in Notetab itself.

                  > You certainly want to read Clip Basics and I suggest you do that
                  > first. It is not too long at all.

                  Where is Clip Basics in the Help Contents?

                  I must say the Help is helpful! You can't help but return to it. Might be
                  nice if Help indented the same section you were reading last time to come
                  back in the same spot.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
                    Hi Sauron,

                    >Ok then, I dl'ed a HTML one. And put it in libraries. And, well
                    >it's hard to pick out names that say HTML, but, I think I put it
                    >there. I would guess it wasn't there before. About that folder,
                    >I must say there are a lot of files there to start with! Don't
                    >it get crowded, hard to manage? I did see my first clip there,
                    >and it still doesn't show in Notetab itself.

                    Sorry, I was referring to NoteTab's Library called HTML. Just
                    starting off you really don't need to download anything unless
                    perhaps somebody knows of a specific Library with lots of
                    comments in it. Personally, I think you would be best off just
                    sticking with NoteTab's Libraries to learn first. You really
                    don't want to make a mess in your Libraries folder to you
                    understand more. Just try a few of NoteTab's Libraries like
                    Larry and I mentioned. I mentioned HTML only because I thought
                    you might feel more comfortable with it if you knew how to write
                    HTML code.

                    Yes, there are a lot of files in that folder. I am guessing, but
                    maybe you did not extract what you downloaded. It would have been
                    a zip file and you need to extract the .clb file from it and
                    place that into the Libraries folder.

                    A Library ends with the .clb extension and are in the Libraries
                    folder. They show up on the Libraries bar at the bottom next to
                    the Statusbar (View | Libraries bar). The items listed in the
                    Clipbook (F4), the narrow window pane on left are called Clips.
                    Please go back and read Larry's post on that so you can start to
                    get your terminology correct.

                    >> You certainly want to read Clip Basics and I suggest you do that
                    >> first. It is not too long at all.
                    >
                    >Where is Clip Basics in the Help Contents?

                    Click on the Find tab in Help and type in "clip" without the
                    quotes. Look in the lower section of the window and you should
                    see it.

                    > I must say the Help is helpful! You can't help but return to
                    > it. Might be nice if Help indented the same section you were
                    > reading last time to come back in the same spot.

                    Yes, that would be nice, but I think it is a Windows issue. I
                    never did understand how to use the bookmarks in Help sections,
                    but never really messed with it much either.

                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                    http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                  • gruendemann
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                      Sauron,
                      I make up a document called "study guide", that I keep track of the help
                      topics I last worked on. This cuts down on printer ink!!! :-) I also keep
                      notes as to any web pages that help for that particular section i'm
                      working on. Kind of a personal journal of learning. Then I can go back
                      when I'm done, and if I chose.... I can share the file with others as a
                      guide to those starting out, or as a refresher should I download one of
                      those life-hog softwares that takes up every precious minute to coddle.
                      Hope this helps.
                      cheryl........ (new kid in town) :-)

                      Sauron wrote:

                      > Ok then, I dl'ed a HTML one. And put it in libraries. And, well it's hard
                      > to pick out names that say HTML, but, I think I put it there. I would guess
                      > it wasn't there before. About that folder, I must say there are a lot of
                      > files there to start with! Don't it get crowded, hard to manage? I did see
                      > my first clip there, and it still doesn't show in Notetab itself.
                      >

                      > > You certainly want to read Clip Basics and I suggest you do that
                      > > first. It is not too long at all.
                      >
                      > Where is Clip Basics in the Help Contents?
                      >
                      > I must say the Help is helpful! You can't help but return to it. Might be
                      > nice if Help indented the same section you were reading last time to come
                      > back in the same spot.
                    • Richard Thomas
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                        Hi,

                        I'm trying to write add a heading to an outline with the date and a number.
                        This is as far as I've got:

                        ^!AddHeading PI ^$GetDate(yymm)$

                        I just can't work out how to do the number part. Can anyone help?

                        Richard
                      • Clint Tredway
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 24, 2002
                          I have a question that I cannot figure out.

                          Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions... How do I not show one of the parameters if I leave it blank?

                          Thanks!
                        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 24, 2002
                            On Fri, 24 May 2002 09:40:00 -0400, you wrote:

                            >I have a question that I cannot figure out.
                            >
                            >Lets say that I have a clip with 4 questions...
                            >How do I not show one of the parameters if I leave it blank?

                            Here is a clip that demonstrates several things...

                            * Not displaying information that is left blank.

                            * Building a wizard without requiring long lines, by using the
                            append command and executing commands from within a variable

                            * Remembers previous values when wizard is repeated
                            (but not for the checkboxes, as SetDefaultValue does not work
                            with checkbox fields. Maybe Eric can fix that for us.)

                            * How to use checkboxes in a wizard

                            * Using arrays in NoteTab.

                            * Detecting if the user cancelled the wizard.

                            Do not let the length of this example discourage you. It is not
                            as difficult as it may first appear, and it is worth taking the time
                            to understand.

                            ;### Create the prompt bit by bit to avoid have one really long line
                            :Start
                            ^!ClearVariable %Prompt%
                            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Name%="^?{Name=^%Name%}"; "
                            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Age%="^?{Age=^%Age%}"; "
                            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Score%="^?{Score=^%Score%}"; "
                            ^!Set %ColorList%="red|orange|yellow|green|blue|violet|white|black|gold"
                            ;### SetDefaultValue does not (yet) work with checkbox arrays.
                            ;### ^!Set %ColorList%=^$SetDefaultValue(^%ColorList%;^%Colors%)$
                            ^!Append %Prompt%="%Colors%="^?{(T=A;H=10)Colors=^%ColorList%}""
                            ^!SetWizardTitle "Wizard Example"
                            ;### The above append statements merely store the wizard programming in
                            ;### a variable. The next line is when the wizard is actually displayed.
                            ^!Set ^%Prompt%
                            ^!IfCancel WizCancelled
                            ;### Prepare the results for display, skipping items left blank.
                            ^!ClearVariable %Output%
                            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%Name%)$ ^!Append %Output%="Name is: ^%Name% ^%NL%"
                            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%Age%)$ ^!Append %Output%="Age: ^%Age% ^%NL%"
                            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%City%)$ ^!Append %Output%="City: ^%city% ^%NL%"
                            ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^%Score%)$ ^!Append %Output%="Score: ^%Score% ^%NL%"
                            ;### Convert the list of selected colors into proper English.
                            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Colors%)$ FinishedColors
                            ^!SetArray %ColorArray%="^%Colors%"
                            ^!If ^%ColorArray0% = 1 ^!Append %Output%="Your color is "
                            ^!If ^%ColorArray0% > 1 ^!Append %Output%="Your colors are "
                            ^!Set %ColorIndex%=1
                            :ColorLoop
                            ^!Append %Output%=^%ColorArray^%ColorIndex%%
                            ^!Inc %ColorIndex%
                            ^!If ^%ColorIndex% < ^%ColorArray0% ^!Append %Output%=", "
                            ^!If ^%ColorIndex% = ^%ColorArray0% ^!Append %Output%=" and "
                            ^!If ^%ColorIndex% > ^%ColorArray0% FinishedColors
                            ^!Goto ColorLoop
                            :FinishedColors
                            ;### Display all the output
                            ^!Prompt ^%Output%
                            ^!Goto Start
                            ;###If the user hit Cancel in the Wizard
                            :WizCancelled
                            ^!Info Goodbye.
                          • Charles M. Raine
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 24, 2002
                              On Fri, 24 May 2002 13:40:38 -0700, Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

                              >Here is a clip that demonstrates several things...

                              Hi Wayne:

                              Tis' good to see you back on the list and as usual, a great example of
                              Notetab script. I heartily agree with you that anyone interested in clip
                              writing should study what you wrote, as there is a lot to be learned from
                              that relatively short clip. I don't know if you intentionally left out the
                              prompt append line for City, but I have added it in and changed the order
                              a bit and am including my version (which I will save for future reference,
                              as I always do, with your words of wisdom!).

                              I have been patiently waiting for your Notetab Reference Outline (Update),
                              but I guess Eric is keeping you busy with all the New Functions and
                              Commands he keeps adding. It's like chasing a moving target. <g>

                              My example:

                              ;### Create the prompt bit by bit to avoid having one really long line
                              :Start
                              ^!ClearVariable %Prompt%
                              ^!Append %Prompt%="%Name%="^?{Name=^%Name%}"; "
                              ^!Append %Prompt%="%City%="^?{City=^%City%}"; "
[...]
                            • Alan C.
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 25, 2002
                                Hi,

                                I studied Wayne's marvelous clip.

                                Then one thing led to another. I began playing with setting, testing for certain matches, based on a particular match then go to a certain label. (ok, yes, I admit it, I also wanted to see how close I could get to having remembered list items repeated or not, based on choice)

                                For those who are newer at the clip lingo it has multiplicity of possible routes based on choice that are set into variable and multiplicity test for match and then based on a certain one of multiple possible matches, go to the correspondingly named label according to the match.

                                There's only one long line it's the ^!Set line underneath :init4
                                ^!IfCancel begins the next line after that long ^!Set line

                                H="stuff_123"
                                :init1
                                ^!Set %ColorList%="red|orange|yellow|green|blue|violet|white|black|gold"
                                :init2
                                ^!SetWizardTitle >>>>>>>> cancel button ends <<<<<<<<<<<
                                ^!SetWizardLabel >>>>>>>>> This is Color List <<<<<<<<<<<<
                                ^!Set %MyColors%=^?{(T=A;H=10)Colors=^%ColorList%}
                                ^!IfCancel WizCancelled
                                :init3
                                ^!SetWizardTitle <>>>> Color(s) are <><> Color(s) are <<<<>
                                ^!Info Your color(s) are ^%MyColors%
                                :init4
                                ^!SetWizardTitle have fun have fun have fun
                                ^!SetWizardLabel >>>>>>>> cancel button ends <<<<<<<<<<<
                                ^!Set %MyColors%=^?{(H=10)your Colors=^%MyColors%}; %list%=^?{(H=3)Color List again?==yes|no^=no_list}
                                ^!IfCancel WizCancelled
                                ; where to go from here?
                                ^!IfSame "^%list%" "no_list" init3
                                ^!IfSame "^%list%" "yes" init2
                                ^!IfFalse ^%list% NeedToChoose
                                ; next line always is not in any active route
                                ^!Prompt The always skipped prompt
                                :NeedToChoose
                                ^!Prompt Hi. Please choose 1 from Color List again? field.
                                ^!Goto init4
                                :WizCancelled
                                ^!Prompt Bye bye Hope had fun!
                                ; -----<end clip<<

                                Regard. Alan.
                              • Peter G Henry
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 15, 2010
                                  ?Hi

                                  Please forgive an old very old gentleman who has just 8 brain cells left 7 are for normal life 8 keeps dimming when confronted with thinking.

                                  Could someone explain How to get the %ArrayYears% numbers, in Dave M's clip that creates Calendar outline.

                                  ;// Name of [FirstDay of the year + LengthFebruary] 2000 -> 2005
                                  ;// nDD n=1->Su; n=2->Mo;... -> %ArrayDaysEngS%
                                  ;// nDD DD = Length of February
                                  ^!SetArray %ArrayYears%=729;228;328;428;529;728

                                  It has completely puzzled me. Hope group does not mind me posting this.

                                  kindest regards

                                  Peter

                                • Sheri
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 16, 2010
                                    On 9/15/2010 9:46 PM, Peter G Henry wrote:
                                    > ?Hi
                                    >
                                    > Please forgive an old very old gentleman who has just 8 brain cells left 7 are for normal life 8 keeps dimming when confronted with thinking.
                                    >
                                    > Could someone explain How to get the %ArrayYears% numbers, in Dave M's clip that creates Calendar outline.
                                    >

                                    > ;// Name of [FirstDay of the year + LengthFebruary] 2000 -> 2005
                                    > ;// nDD n=1->Su; n=2->Mo;... -> %ArrayDaysEngS%
                                    > ;// nDD DD = Length of February
                                    > ^!SetArray %ArrayYears%=729;228;328;428;529;728
                                    >
                                    > It has completely puzzled me. Hope group does not mind me posting this.
                                    >
                                    > kindest regards
                                    >
                                    > Peter

                                    I haven't run the clip, but glad to try :)

                                    Based on your quotation, it looks to me like there are six entries to
                                    represent the years 2000 through 2005.

                                    The high order number in each of the entries is the day of the week of
                                    the first day of that year where Sunday is 1 and Saturday is 7. So in
                                    the year 2000, the first day of the year must have been a Saturday.
                                    Looked it up and confirmed.

                                    The rest of the entry is the number of days in February for that year.
                                    The year 2000 was a leap year, there were 29 days in February. Hence the
                                    first entry in %ArrayYears% is 729.

                                    Guess you need to refer to a calendar for the info needed to specify a
                                    given year. The year 2010 would be 628.