[Clip] Bug Report: Reproducable Access Violations with Match Brackets

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 28, 1999
      Program: NoteTab Pro 4.6a/np
      System: Pentium II - 350 MHz, Windows 98, 128 MB Ram

      Situation: "Scroll Past End of Line" option is turned ON.
      Click to position the cursor past the end of a BLANK line.
      Press CTRL-M (attempting to search for matching brackets)

      Error: Access Violation at address 004B025E in module 'NOTEPRO.EXE'.
      Read of address FFFFFFFF

      I've been able to reproduce this problem on demand. In the
      past, other access violation have occurred that I could not
      reproduce.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 28, 1999
        Hi Wayne and All,

        > Press CTRL-M (attempting to search for matching brackets)
        > I've been able to reproduce this problem on demand. In the
        > past, other access violation have occurred that I could not
        > reproduce.

        There is another one that Claes found. This was the steps if I
        remember correctly:

        Open three documents and make a Second Window.
        Start closing one at a time.
        When attempting to close the last document the failure occurs.
        I was able to repeatedly duplicate it in Win 95 - he was in 98.

        I am unable to duplicate your's though. Where is "Click to
        position the cursor past the end of a BLANK line."?

        I tried it underneathe a blank line at a double blank line
        situation and at the end of the doc with blanks above and below
        having Scroll past end of document on in NoteTab Pro.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 8 , May 28, 1999
          Jody <kjb1611@...> wrote:

          >I am unable to duplicate your's though. Where is "Click to
          >position the cursor past the end of a BLANK line."?

          (See Document | Properties | "Scroll Past End of Line" )

          >I tried it underneathe a blank line at a double blank line
          >situation and at the end of the doc with blanks above and below
          >having Scroll past end of document on in NoteTab Pro.

          Try with the cursor positioned past the end of a single
          blank line that is in the middle of the document.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 28, 1999
            Hi Wayne,

            >>I tried it underneathe a blank line at a double blank line
            >>situation and at the end of the doc with blanks above and below
            >>having *Scroll past end of document **ON** in NoteTab Pro*. :)
            >
            >Try with the cursor positioned past the end of a single
            >blank line that is in the middle of the document.

            OK, I can dupliate it with Word Wrap off. The "in the middle of the document" gave me a hint. :)

            The two most common elements in the
            universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

            Signed,
            I. Claim Ignorance

            mailto:CF@...?subject=subscribe

          • genxtruth@mindspring.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 1999
              I have recently started getting Access Violations on 3 different machines
              that I am using NoteTab Pro 4.6a/np. The configurations for the machine are
              as follows:

              #1 - Home PC \ PII 333 - 64MR RAM - Win95
              #2 - Work I \ Pentium 133 - 16MB RAM - Win98
              #3 - Work II \ Pentium 133 - 32MB - Win95

              I have noticed others getting access violation errors also. Has there been
              a fix for this? What is the status of the errors?

              Thanks in Advance!

              P.S. Still lovin' NTP!

            • Dan Huston
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 1999
                I am as well, at home and at work. Work is Nt workstation 4 w/ 128 meg and
                home is Win98 with 212 meg.

                --Dan

                On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 genxtruth@... wrote:

                > I have recently started getting Access Violations on 3 different machines
                > that I am using NoteTab Pro 4.6a/np. The configurations for the machine are
                > as follows:
                >
                > #1 - Home PC \ PII 333 - 64MR RAM - Win95
                > #2 - Work I \ Pentium 133 - 16MB RAM - Win98
                > #3 - Work II \ Pentium 133 - 32MB - Win95
                >
                > I have noticed others getting access violation errors also. Has there been
                > a fix for this? What is the status of the errors?
                >
                > Thanks in Advance!
                >
                > P.S. Still lovin' NTP!

                > Track your stocks and funds in a StockMaster portfolio. With easy
                > setup, you get quotes, charts, and news for them all on just one page.
                > No limits, fast loading, and FREE!
                > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/238
                >

                > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips

                Dan Huston Phone (602) 727-6652
                Measurement, Statistics and Methodological Studies Fax (602) 965-0300
                Psychology in Education dan.huston@...
                325 Payne Hall http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~huston
                Arizona State University
                Tempe, AZ 85287-0611

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 1999
                  Hi Genxtruth, Dan, and All,

                  > I have recently started getting Access Violations...

                  There is not a fix for those yet that you download.

                  When you get them you might want to go ahead and reboot which
                  will normally stop them for awhile.

                  There are two solid cases that we know about causing the problem.
                  One is dealing with having three documents open and making a
                  Second Window out of the last two to the right. When they are
                  closed one at a time the error occurs when trying to close the
                  third one. The other one deals with using Match Brackets paste
                  the end of the line. That may not be the exacts of how they
                  happen, but close.

                  Others have reported when a number of documents are open and
                  "putting NoteTab through the ringer" with a lot of editing. This
                  cannot be duplicated so far though like most of them, but has
                  happened to me on my Win95. They are happening in all flavours
                  of Windows as well.

                  If you find a solid cause, that is, after you reboot you can make
                  it happen again at will, please send the procedure to Eric at
                  Bugs@...

                  c ya,
                  jody

                  I can only please one person a day.
                  Today is obviously not your day.
                  Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                  http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/

                • TwoCities
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 1999
                    Hi People

                    You can get a free full version language software.
                    Choose either French, Spanish, Italian or German
                    >from the Language Assistant Delux Series.

                    Not found in anywhere else! You can tell anyone
                    about it, it's free for a limited time.

                    Go To http://come.to/twocities

                    Regards.

                    Irene Goldberg