[Clip] WizardLizard [Updated}

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2000
      Hi All,

      This is an upgrade of my WizardLizard. I have had a problem with the clip
      in that it will fail if you place your cursor inside a wizard that has many
      [], {}, <>, and ()'s in it and if the cursor is between reversed or
      unmatched pairs of these. My solution for the Join portion was to assume
      that your list will be by itself in a document when your a building or
      editing it and to use ^!Select All instead of ^!Toolbar Match Bracket. In
      the case of the Split portion I am using the ^!Find command to find the
      beginning of the wizard and the ^!Jump Select_End to move the cursor to
      just inside the wizard before the ^!Toolbar Match Bracket command is
      executed. This seems to overcome the problem mentioned above and the whole
      wizard is always selected properly.

      One problem that appears to be a bug is that I cannot get the B option to
      work with regular expression searches so you cannot place the cursor inside
      the wizard you want to edit. You must place the cursor to the left of the
      wizard so that it can search forward for the ?[ or ?{ beginning of the
      wizard. I have left in the B option for now. It does not affect the clip
      and if this is a bug as I suspect and Eric later fixes it then you will be
      able to place your cursor anywhere inside the wizard and have it work
      properly after that time - but for now you must place it before the wizard.

      Here is the revised clip:

      ______[Copy below this line]_______
      H="WizardLizard"
      ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      ;09/06/2000, 09:42:23 PM
      ^!^?[Select task==_Join List^=Goto Join|Split List^=Goto Split]

      :Join
      ^!Select All
      ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace("^%nl%";"|";"^$GetSelection$";False;False)$
      ;
      ^!Info [L]Your Wizard List is now in the clipboard^%nl%and ready to be
      pasted into your clip.
      ;
      ^!Goto Exit

      :Split
      ^!Find ?[\[\{] BSR
      ^!Jump Select_End
      ^!Toolbar Match Bracket
      ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace("|";"^%nl%";"^$GetSelection$";False;False)$
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ^!SetWordwrap Off
      ^!Goto Exit
      _____[Copy above this line]______
      | right click over the clipbook |
      | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
        Hi Larry,

        (this reply is off list, direct to you)

        This clip could be substantially improved if it started with a few comments
        that explain what it does and when I might benefit from using it. I have
        never heard of a wizard lizard, and don't quite understand what it is trying
        to join or split.

        Is it so I can clip a list from something and add it into a wizard drop down
        list?

        ---
        Don Passenger
        > This is an upgrade of my WizardLizard. I have had a problem with the clip
        > in that it will fail if you place your cursor inside a wizard that has
        many
        > [], {}, <>, and ()'s in it and if the cursor is between reversed or
        > unmatched pairs of these. My solution for the Join portion was to assume
        > that your list will be by itself in a document when your a building or
        > editing it and to use ^!Select All instead of ^!Toolbar Match Bracket. In
        > the case of the Split portion I am using the ^!Find command to find the
        > beginning of the wizard and the ^!Jump Select_End to move the cursor to
        > just inside the wizard before the ^!Toolbar Match Bracket command is
        > executed. This seems to overcome the problem mentioned above and the
        whole
        > wizard is always selected properly.
        >
        > One problem that appears to be a bug is that I cannot get the B option to
        > work with regular expression searches so you cannot place the cursor
        inside
        > the wizard you want to edit. You must place the cursor to the left of the
        > wizard so that it can search forward for the ?[ or ?{ beginning of the
        > wizard. I have left in the B option for now. It does not affect the clip
        > and if this is a bug as I suspect and Eric later fixes it then you will be
        > able to place your cursor anywhere inside the wizard and have it work
        > properly after that time - but for now you must place it before the
        wizard.

        > Here is the revised clip:
        >
        > ______[Copy below this line]_______
        > H="WizardLizard"
        > ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        > ;09/06/2000, 09:42:23 PM
        > ^!^?[Select task==_Join List^=Goto Join|Split List^=Goto Split]
        >
        > :Join
        > ^!Select All
        > ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace("^%nl%";"|";"^$GetSelection$";False;False)$
        > ;
        > ;----------------------[begin long line]---------------------------
        > ^!Info [L]Your Wizard List is now in the clipboard^%nl%and ready to be
        > pasted into your clip.
        > ;-----------------------[end long line]----------------------------
        > ;
        > ^!Goto Exit
        >
        > :Split
        > ^!Find ?[\[\{] BSR
        > ^!Jump Select_End
        > ^!Toolbar Match Bracket
        > ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace("|";"^%nl%";"^$GetSelection$";False;False)$
        > ^!Toolbar Paste New
        > ^!SetWordwrap Off
        > ^!Goto Exit
        > _____[Copy above this line]______
        > | right click over the clipbook |
        > | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
        > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Larry
        > larryt@...

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
          Hi Don,

          At 12:27 PM 09/07/2000 -0400, you wrote:

          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >(this reply is off list, direct to you)
          >
          >This clip could be substantially improved if it started with a few comments
          >that explain what it does and when I might benefit from using it. I have
          >never heard of a wizard lizard, and don't quite understand what it is trying
          >to join or split.
          >
          >Is it so I can clip a list from something and add it into a wizard drop down
          >list?

          A wizard as you know is made up of ^?[Prompt=List item1|List item2|List
          item3|etc] or the same with braces {}. I call the contents of the
          enclosing brackets the wizard list although the first part is actually not
          part of the list of items. You do not need my clip to edit a wizard but I
          wrote it to make it easier. It splits up the list into rows by replacing
          the vbars with <cr/lf> characters in a new document and makes it much
          easier IMHO to read, delete, add, or move by selecting/dragging/dropping
          items in the list. Then you can use the join part of the clip to restore
          the wizard to its functional single line form for placing into your clip.

          It does of coarse, make it easier to build new wizards as well. Just open
          a new doc and type in the wizard with the first item on the first line
          along with the ^?[Prompt== and then type in the additonal items and end the
          last with with a closing bracket or brace and DO NOT place and <cr/lf> at
          the end of the last line. If you do, you will have an extra unwanted vbar
          in the pasted wizard. When you are finished use the join function and
          switch to the clip you want to insert your new wizard into and type ^?
          Ctrl+V and it is entered.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
            Hi Don

            > Is it so I can clip a list from something and add it into a wizard drop
            down
            > list?

            I experimented with Larry's clip the other day.

            (If an example might help, I'll share the following, my experience)

            In a new document, I had the following (3 lines of urls, each on a line by
            itself) (and in the new document, that is ALL I had was the 3 lines of urls,
            I had no begining and ending markers like I have here:

            --------->begin each of 3 lines<--------------
            http://www.progsharehouse.com/index.pl
            http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Education/Programming/
            http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/
            --------->end of 3 lines urls<--------------

            With that particular new document in focus, I ran Larry's clip, choosing the
            join list function or action. Then an information prompt popped up
            notifying me that my list is ready to be pasted into wherever I want to
            paste it.

            I then deselected the new document's 3 urls and with cursor at bottom right
            hand end of all of the urls, I struck my enter key about 3 times so as to
            get the curser further down in the document. Then I used the keyboard
            combination ctrl + v which pastes the clipboards contents into the
            document. The pasted contents looked like *the following 1 line* (but my
            email will put at least 1 line break into it somewhere in between begin and
            end) (without the begin and end markers like I added here):

            ---------->begin pasted contents<--------------
            http://www.progsharehouse.com/index.pl|http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Educati
            on/Programming/|http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/
            ---------->end pasted contents<--------------

            So I saw, basically, the clip changes the format of a list from the above
            style to the below style ->each url separated by a |

            I've not used the "split list" portion yet, but I'd bet that it changes the
            bottom style format into the top style format which is just the opposite of
            what the "join list" does.

            A handy tool, I think. Thanks Larry.

            Regards. Alan.