Re: [Clip] trying to remove some spaces at the end of a line

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2000
      I have progressed nicely and I think it now works...but for a small
      problem... how to stop the dang thing. I have revised it to do actual
      spaces instead of "x" now. It steps through and removes one or more spaces
      at the end of the lines, it pipes between fields in a row, returns for the
      next row, and repeats.

      When I try to stop however, I cheated my way to say if next line is empty
      then end, but if there is not a blank line at the end, it won't stop, it
      asks if I want to go to top and start over. I know it cannot be that tough.

      Here is what I now have:
      ;this is a clip to take x lines of secondary file
      ;and render them in a pipe delimited file
      ;by Don Passenger dpasseng@...
      :START
      ^!Jump DOC_START
      :NEXTLOOP
      ^!Set %Counter%=3
      :REPEATFIND
      ^!Jump LINE_END
      ^!Select -1
      ^!If "^$GetSelection$" = " " SPACE ELSE REPEATAGAIN
      :SPACE
      ^!Replace " " >> "" HT
      ^!Goto REPEATFIND
      :REPEATAGAIN
      ^!If "^%Counter%" = "0" NEXTLINE
      ^!Dec %Counter%
      ^!Replace "^p" >> "|"
      ^!MoveCursor 1
      ^!Goto REPEATFIND
      ^!Goto END
      :NEXTLINE
      ^!IfError END
      ^!MoveCursor 1
      ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" END
      ^!Goto NEXTLOOP
      :END

      My data file looks like this (with one or more spaces after some, but not
      all of the lines):
      this is line 1
      this is line 2
      this is line 3
      this is line 4
      this is line a
      this is line b
      this is line c
      this is line d

      note that there has to be a return after the line d for it to work as
      presently laid out...

      ---
      Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hi Don,

        >When I try to stop however, I cheated my way to say if next line
        >is empty then end, but if there is not a blank line at the end,
        >it won't stop, it asks if I want to go to top and start over.

        Use ^!IfError End

        Another way you need to do it at times is:
        ^!If ^$GetRow$ = ^$GetLineCount$ End else Loop

        Sometimes you need to get the ending line you want to stop at:

        ^!Set %End%=^$GetRow$
        :Loop
        run script
        ^!If ^%End% = ^$GetLineCount$ End else Loop

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
          Hi Don,

          At 12:55 AM 09/05/2000 -0400, you wrote:

          >I have just started a clip. A little rough so far, but it isn't behaving
          >the way I want already....
          >
          >I want to be able to take a .txt file with multiple lines, remove the spaces
          >from the right end of each line.
          >Take 4 lines of "input" and make it pipe delimited and carraige return then
          >do over.
          >
          >I am using "x" instead of spaces at the end of the line because I can see
          >them working. On the first loop, it removes the x at the end, and on the
          >next it doesn't, even though I can see it selected...

          You can use NoteTab's ability to view non-printing text by selecting
          View|Non-Printing Text or pressing Shift+F12 to toggle it on and off so
          that you do not need to use an X for a space to test your clips.

          >Here is my text file for testing:
          >this is line 1x
          >this is line 2x
          >this is line 3
          >this is line 4x
          >this is line a
          >this is line bx
          >this is line c
          >this is line d

          This clip will remove any spaces or tabs from the right end of the selected
          lines. If you do not select anything, it will give you an error message
          and quit.

          ^$StrTrim()$ will work here except that it will removed leading spaces and
          tabs and you will lose any indenting if that matters to you but the clip
          below will only remove blanks from the right end of the lines.

          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetSelection$)$ Next Else Skip_2
          ^!Info Nothing is selected.
          ^!Goto Exit
          ^!Keyboard Alt+M L T
          ^!Replace ^p >> | TASH

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            >^!Keyboard Alt+M L T

            That's the one I was looking for, ;) except if there are spaces
            in front of the line it does not get them - not that it matters.
            I think he was wanting 4 items per line though and the reason why
            I wrote the Clip the way I did.

            H=VBar 4
            ^!Jump 1
            ^!Set %n%=1
            ^!Select All
            ^!Keyboard Alt+M L T

            :Start
            ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
            ^!IfError End
            ^!Inc %n%
            ^!If ^%n% = 4 Skip
            ^!Goto Start

            ^!Set %n%=1
            ^!Jump +1
            ^!Goto Start

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
              Hi Jody,

              At 06:54 AM 09/05/2000 -0500, you wrote:

              >Hi Larry,
              >
              >>^!Keyboard Alt+M L T
              >
              >That's the one I was looking for, ;) except if there are spaces
              >in front of the line it does not get them - not that it matters.
              >I think he was wanting 4 items per line though and the reason why
              >I wrote the Clip the way I did.

              You can modify my clip and replace the above line with:

              ^!Keyboard Alt+M A L Alt+M L T

              And it will remove spaces and tabs from both ends of the selected lines.
              The advantage over ^$StrTrim()$ is that you do not have to have loops to
              process individual lines and it tends to get the job done a little simpler
              and faster.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Claes Gauffin
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                Hi Don, Jody, Larry,

                Since the discussion seems to drift towards code efficiency,
                wouldn't the following be rather straightforward, eliminating at least one
                loop?

                Regards /Claes

                ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                ^!TOOLBAR Select All
                ^!KeyBoard ALT+M A L ALT+M L T
                ^!Jump 1
                :next_record
                ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                ^!IfError End
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!Goto next_record
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                  Hi Claes and Larry,

                  >Since the discussion seems to drift towards code efficiency,
                  >wouldn't the following be rather straightforward, eliminating at
                  >least one loop?

                  Your's is the shortest. ;) I still like the first one I posted
                  though, because it does not use Keyboard; just a think with me -
                  personal preference for the most part. I guess it sounds too
                  much like having to take my hand off the mouse and actually use a
                  keyboard shortcut. <g>

                  H=Regards /Claes
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                  ^!TOOLBAR Select All
                  ; compliments of Larry ;)
                  ^!KeyBoard ALT+M A L ALT+M L T
                  ^!Jump 1
                  :next_record
                  ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                  ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                  ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                  ^!IfError End
                  ^!Jump +1
                  ^!Goto next_record

                  H=Jody II
                  ^!Jump 1
                  ^!Set %n%=1
                  ^!Select All
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+M L T

                  :Start
                  ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                  ^!IfError End
                  ^!Inc %n%
                  ^!If ^%n% = 4 Skip
                  ^!Goto Start

                  ^!Set %n%=1
                  ^!Jump +1
                  ^!Goto Start

                  H=Jody I
                  ^!Jump 1
                  ^!Set %n%=1

                  :Start
                  ^!Select Eol
                  ^$StrTrim("^$GetSelection$")$
                  ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                  ^!IfError End
                  ^!Inc %n%
                  ^!If ^%n% = 4 Skip
                  ^!Goto Start

                  ^!Set %n%=1
                  ^!Select Eol
                  ^$StrTrim("^$GetSelection$")$
                  ^!Jump +1
                  ^!Goto Start

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                    Hi Claes,

                    At 04:05 PM 09/05/2000 +0200, you wrote:

                    >Hi Don, Jody, Larry,
                    >
                    >Since the discussion seems to drift towards code efficiency,
                    >wouldn't the following be rather straightforward, eliminating at least one
                    >loop?
                    >
                    >Regards /Claes
                    >
                    >^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                    >^!TOOLBAR Select All
                    >^!KeyBoard ALT+M A L ALT+M L T
                    >^!Jump 1
                    >:next_record
                    >^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                    >^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                    >^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                    >^!IfError End
                    >^!Jump +1
                    >^!Goto next_record

                    My math is probably off (I used to be a bookkeeper) but I count 11 lines of
                    code above as compared to five lines below and there are no loops in either
                    clip.

                    ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetSelection$)$ Next Else Skip_2
                    ^!Info Nothing is selected.
                    ^!Goto Exit
                    ^!KeyBoard ALT+M A L ALT+M L T
                    ^!Replace ^p >> | TASH

                    If you want to assume that he wants to always process the whole file you
                    can chop it down to three lines.

                    ^!Select All
                    ^!KeyBoard ALT+M A L ALT+M L T
                    ^!Replace ^p >> | TASH

                    As for keyboard commands, I prefer to avoid them myself but when it saves
                    this much typing I definitely will use them.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    larryt@...
                  • Craig
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                      --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Jody <KJB1611@a...> wrote:
                      > Hi Claes and Larry,
                      >
                      > >Since the discussion seems to drift towards code efficiency,
                      > >wouldn't the following be rather straightforward, eliminating at
                      > >least one loop?
                      >
                      > Your's is the shortest. ;) I still like the first one I posted
                      > though, because it does not use Keyboard; just a think with me -
                      > personal preference for the most part. I guess it sounds too
                      > much like having to take my hand off the mouse and actually use a
                      > keyboard shortcut. <g>
                      >
                      > H=Regards /Claes
                      > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                      > ^!TOOLBAR Select All
                      > ; compliments of Larry ;)
                      > ^!KeyBoard ALT+M A L ALT+M L T
                      > ^!Jump 1
                      > :next_record
                      > ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                      > ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                      > ^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                      > ^!IfError End
                      > ^!Jump +1
                      > ^!Goto next_record

                      <SNIPALOT>

                      Howdy, All -
                      Just to add one more, since I didn't see any regex'es :-)

                      H="nospace 2 pipe"
                      :Begin1
                      ^!Set %i%=1
                      :Loop4
                      ^!IfError End
                      ^!Replace "\s*\n" >> "|" R
                      ^!Inc %i%
                      ^!If "^%i%" < "4" Loop4 Else done4
                      :done4
                      ^!Jump +1
                      ^!GoTo Begin1
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                        Hi Larry,

                        >>^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                        >>^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S
                        >>^!Replace "^p" >> "|" S

                        >My math is probably off (I used to be a bookkeeper) but I count
                        >11 lines of code above as compared to five lines below and there
                        >are no loops in either clip.

                        From what I could tell by the way Don wrote the Clip he wanted
                        every line of the output to have four records on it. That is why
                        we have the longer Clips. My very first one which I did not post
                        was real short like your's till I studied his Clip some more and
                        had to go back to the drawing board.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                          Hi Jody,

                          At 11:42 AM 09/05/2000 -0500, you wrote:

                          >Hi Larry,
                          >
                          > From what I could tell by the way Don wrote the Clip he wanted
                          >every line of the output to have four records on it. That is why
                          >we have the longer Clips. My very first one which I did not post
                          >was real short like your's till I studied his Clip some more and
                          >had to go back to the drawing board.

                          Ah yes :( There really is such a thing as being in to much of a hurry to
                          get the point. Thanks for explaining.

                          Regards,

                          Larry
                          larryt@...
                        • Don Passenger
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                            Thank you to each one of you for the help.

                            What a helpful group! No wonder Note Tab is the #one user preferred program
                            in its class!

                            I learned a lot from reading through the suggestions. Finding this bit:
                            ^$StrTrim("^$GetSelection$")$
                            made the whole exercise worthwhile, without anything more! Some of my
                            actual data in fact had leading spaces too, the more I looked at it, so that
                            took care of it before I even realized I had the problem.

                            I took some version of the suggestions and I processed all 373 records I had
                            (actually 26 lines per record...though my example just had 4...by the 373
                            records) and got the correct format for output which I successfully imported
                            into Access and now have a new database. Awesome.

                            I use kclip for my help on these things. In one respect the information
                            mislead me there. I see I should have been using jump +1 to drop a line. I
                            read the help in kclip and it said: "Moves cursor to the indicated
                            position."
                            I took that to mean position (ie row and column), not line, so I tried to
                            move the cursor a different way. My way choked on blank lines. This is
                            better. When help is redone, the word position should be replaced with the
                            word line, in my humble opinion.

                            One other thing about kclip I found annoying, is when searching for a term
                            (using the locate function) it will search in a big loop starting over at
                            the beginning without announcing it is back to the start. Is there any way
                            to adjust that so it will stop at the bottom and ask before restarting? It
                            is a very nice interface otherwise.
                            It did take a while to process as I used one of the earlier suggestions, so
                            next time I will definately work on the more efficient models to get them
                            functional. All of the scrolling text looked like a bad programmers dream.
                            lol

                            ---
                            Don Passenger

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 5, 2000
                              Hi Don,

                              At 01:11 PM 09/05/2000 -0400, you wrote:

                              >Thank you to each one of you for the help.
                              >
                              >What a helpful group! No wonder Note Tab is the #one user preferred program
                              >in its class!
                              >
                              >I learned a lot from reading through the suggestions. Finding this bit:
                              >^$StrTrim("^$GetSelection$")$
                              >made the whole exercise worthwhile, without anything more! Some of my
                              >actual data in fact had leading spaces too, the more I looked at it, so that
                              >took care of it before I even realized I had the problem.
                              >
                              >I took some version of the suggestions and I processed all 373 records I had
                              >(actually 26 lines per record...though my example just had 4...by the 373
                              >records) and got the correct format for output which I successfully imported
                              >into Access and now have a new database. Awesome.

                              Well, finally it looks like my clip would have worked for you after all
                              with a modification to loop through each of the records. If you look at
                              ^!Select and try it, you will discover that you can select a group of lines
                              from the current cursor position by typing ^!Select ^%Number% with
                              ^%Number% containing the number of lines you want to select. When you use
                              my clip as a part of this to process that selection, then you would use
                              ^!Jump +1 to go to the next line and then ^!Select ^%Number% again for the
                              next record until you reached the end of the file and you would have to
                              have the loop that you had to tell the clip when the end of the file was
                              reached and to quit.

                              Regards,

                              Larry
                              larryt@...
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 7, 2000
                                Hi Don

                                >One other thing about kclip I found annoying, is when searching
                                >for a term (using the locate function) it will search in a big
                                >loop starting over at the beginning without announcing it is back
                                >to the start. Is there any way to adjust that so it will stop at
                                >the bottom and ask before restarting? It is a very nice
                                >interface otherwise.

                                You will need to write Grandma Kay about that. If the eMail
                                address is not current in her Help program you should be able to
                                get it at her site. I don't know if she is reading the list at
                                this time. I sure do miss her input though!!!

                                Introduction to Clip Programming
                                Try: mailto:kayr@... and http://sure2.com/notetab.shtml