Re: [Clip] Quotes, did I hear you say quotes?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hi Alan and All,

      >> ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"

      >So, in reference to the case above, the issue for me had been:
      >"How does the rule on the use of quotes apply when the entire
      >line of code seems to run together and I'm unable to distinguish
      >where each parameter of the command begins and ends"

      I'm sorry I missed the quotes and glad Eb caught it. I know you
      did not ask, but I will answer. ;) You are correct that the
      equal sign is what separates the variable from its contents. "; "
      as in "end of contents; %Variable%" separates a string of
      variables on one line. (It appears Eric did some work on that in
      the latest beta because before it was "; %" all the way out to
      the percent sign, else the Clip Interpreter would see the semi-
      colon and space as the delimiter, so disregard what I said about
      it in a previous post.)

      Note: NoteTab shows the following syntax in Help, which read,
      under "Clip Language - Variables". There are no quotes used, nor
      does Eric use quotes in the default Libraries.

      ^!Set %VariableName%=Data
      ^!Set %V1%=Value1; %V2%=Value2; %V3%=Value3

      So, if you go with no quotes and it fails, pass the info on to
      bugs@... or ntb-NextRelease@....

      At this point in time, there might not be a constant rule about
      if quotes should or should not be used, but it gets better all
      the time -thanks Eric! It does appear from Help and Eric's
      Libraries that no quotes is the way we are headed. Almost all
      the time either way will work. There are a few very isolated
      cases where one or the other will not work and as I pointed out
      the other day we found a really rare case where a double and
      triple quote pair was needed. Personally, I go with no quotes as
      I mentioned, due to that is the way Eric does it and Help shows
      it - it is and has been the NoteTab standard format. Do it
      whichever way you want, but I suggest you stay true to yourself
      with it in that whichever route you choose always write your
      Clips like that for uniformity and don't blame me if they quit
      working someday with quotes. ;) whichever way you go if it fails
      at some point, try it the other way. Hopefully after the rewrite
      of version 5 we won't have the problem. Just for the record
      though the cases where it will fail one way or the other are
      extremely rare.

      The first three of the following are not correct.

      ^!Set Variable1=1 Variable2=2
      ^!Set Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4
      ^!Set Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6

      All these are correct, or perhaps better said, will work:

      ^!Set %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8
      ^!Set %Variable9%="Data9"; %Variable10%="Data10"
      ^!Set %Variable11%=Data 11; %Variable12%=Data 12
      ^!Set %Variable13%="Data 13"; %Variable14%="Data 14"

      The examples list above are demonstrated in this updated Clip.
      ^!Info is a long line till the end and ^!SetWizardTitle till
      ^!Set Variable1.

      <--- Copy below this line --->
      H=7LA Demo 7
      ; Last Updated 09-04-2000, Sojourner@..., jody
      ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";50)$http://www.sureword.com/ftp/clipclass.zip^$StrFill(" ";50)$~
      ^!Set Variable1=1 Variable2=2
      ^!Set Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4
      ^!Set Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6
      ^!Set %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8
      ^!Set %Variable9%="Data9"; %Variable10%="Data10"
      ^!Set %Variable11%=Data 11; %Variable12%=Data 12
      ^!Set %Variable13%="Data 13"; %Variable14%="Data 14"
      ^!Info [L]We set this incorrectly: Variable1=1 Variable2=2^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable1% | ^%Variable2%^p---^pWe set this incorrectly: Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable3% | ^%Variable4%^p---^pWe set this incorrectly: Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable5% | ^%Variable6%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable7% | ^%Variable8%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable9%=Data9; %Variable10%=Data10^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable9% | ^%Variable10%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable11%=Data11; %Variable12%=Data12^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable11% | ^%Variable12%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable13%=Data 13; %Variable13%=Data 14^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable13% | ^%Variable14%^p

      <--- Copy above this line, right --->
      <--- click over a Library, and --->
      <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

      Happy Labor Day!