Re: [Clip] Quotes, did I hear you say quotes?

  • Eb Guenther
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hi Alan,

      >I tested the next (has quotes) and it did not work
      >
      >^!Set "%fil%=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
      >^!Info ^%fil%

      You got the quotes around the entire assignment, variable name
      and all ! You probably meant to place it only around the
      assigned value, like so:

      ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
      ^!Info ^%fil%

      THIS works too, assigning the quotes to the variable.

      Cheers,

      Eb
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hi Eb,

        > ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
        > THIS works too, assigning the quotes to the variable.

        that's what I was wondering originally posted. But guess I did not word my
        question as well as I could have.

        Yes, I tried it. It works for me too.

        Now I know that I previously had become confused by the =, wondering exactly
        where is each parameter of the set command (no space between %fil% and the
        hard coded path and the function)

        So, in reference to the case above, the issue for me had been: "How does
        the rule on the use of quotes apply when the entire line of code seems to
        run together and I'm unable to distinguish where each parameter of the
        command begins and ends"

        For purpose of clarity, just stated/reiterated what the issue. (Not meant
        as asking about quotes, I did not ask) :-)

        Jody gave me some methods and more insight. Eb gave me a method and more
        insight. Thanks. The issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

        Don't forget to

        havefun along theway. Regards. Alan.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
          Hi Alan and All,

          >> ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"

          >So, in reference to the case above, the issue for me had been:
          >"How does the rule on the use of quotes apply when the entire
          >line of code seems to run together and I'm unable to distinguish
          >where each parameter of the command begins and ends"

          I'm sorry I missed the quotes and glad Eb caught it. I know you
          did not ask, but I will answer. ;) You are correct that the
          equal sign is what separates the variable from its contents. "; "
          as in "end of contents; %Variable%" separates a string of
          variables on one line. (It appears Eric did some work on that in
          the latest beta because before it was "; %" all the way out to
          the percent sign, else the Clip Interpreter would see the semi-
          colon and space as the delimiter, so disregard what I said about
          it in a previous post.)

          Note: NoteTab shows the following syntax in Help, which read,
          under "Clip Language - Variables". There are no quotes used, nor
          does Eric use quotes in the default Libraries.

          ^!Set %VariableName%=Data
          ^!Set %V1%=Value1; %V2%=Value2; %V3%=Value3

          So, if you go with no quotes and it fails, pass the info on to
          bugs@... or ntb-NextRelease@....

          At this point in time, there might not be a constant rule about
          if quotes should or should not be used, but it gets better all
          the time -thanks Eric! It does appear from Help and Eric's
          Libraries that no quotes is the way we are headed. Almost all
          the time either way will work. There are a few very isolated
          cases where one or the other will not work and as I pointed out
          the other day we found a really rare case where a double and
          triple quote pair was needed. Personally, I go with no quotes as
          I mentioned, due to that is the way Eric does it and Help shows
          it - it is and has been the NoteTab standard format. Do it
          whichever way you want, but I suggest you stay true to yourself
          with it in that whichever route you choose always write your
          Clips like that for uniformity and don't blame me if they quit
          working someday with quotes. ;) whichever way you go if it fails
          at some point, try it the other way. Hopefully after the rewrite
          of version 5 we won't have the problem. Just for the record
          though the cases where it will fail one way or the other are
          extremely rare.

          The first three of the following are not correct.

          ^!Set Variable1=1 Variable2=2
          ^!Set Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4
          ^!Set Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6

          All these are correct, or perhaps better said, will work:

          ^!Set %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8
          ^!Set %Variable9%="Data9"; %Variable10%="Data10"
          ^!Set %Variable11%=Data 11; %Variable12%=Data 12
          ^!Set %Variable13%="Data 13"; %Variable14%="Data 14"

          The examples list above are demonstrated in this updated Clip.
          ^!Info is a long line till the end and ^!SetWizardTitle till
          ^!Set Variable1.

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=7LA Demo 7
          ; Last Updated 09-04-2000, Sojourner@..., jody
          ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";50)$http://www.sureword.com/ftp/clipclass.zip^$StrFill(" ";50)$~
          ^!Set Variable1=1 Variable2=2
          ^!Set Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4
          ^!Set Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6
          ^!Set %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8
          ^!Set %Variable9%="Data9"; %Variable10%="Data10"
          ^!Set %Variable11%=Data 11; %Variable12%=Data 12
          ^!Set %Variable13%="Data 13"; %Variable14%="Data 14"
          ^!Info [L]We set this incorrectly: Variable1=1 Variable2=2^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable1% | ^%Variable2%^p---^pWe set this incorrectly: Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable3% | ^%Variable4%^p---^pWe set this incorrectly: Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable5% | ^%Variable6%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable7% | ^%Variable8%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable9%=Data9; %Variable10%=Data10^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable9% | ^%Variable10%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable11%=Data11; %Variable12%=Data12^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable11% | ^%Variable12%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable13%=Data 13; %Variable13%=Data 14^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable13% | ^%Variable14%^p

          <--- Copy above this line, right --->
          <--- click over a Library, and --->
          <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

          Happy Labor Day!