Re: [Clip] Quotes, did I hear you say quotes?

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000
      Hi,

      > If you are taking it from the Clipboard and using it in Windows
      > Run or the like, I would go with the spaces. Quotes, did I hear
      > you say quotes? Don't ask. ;)

      Well, the following, after accomplishing a review, I almost posted it at
      1:20 P.M. California USA time today. But in the interest of "not
      overworking" the issue of quotes (and, thinking or wondering that perhaps
      maybe my brain had perhaps a few too many miswirings inside of it) I decided
      to postpone in the interest of perhaps I might then take another look at my
      post later on in a different light.

      Well, the light has not changed. But I just did take another look at it
      before posting.

      One thing I take note of is that, along with some hard coded, also a
      command, a variable, and a function are all on one line of code. Here's
      what I had found:

      > ^!Set %fil%=c:\exmpl\mystuf\^$GetClipboard$.plx
      > ^!Info ^%fil%
      >
      > In the ^!Set line, do I need quotes (that wasn't me that just asked) on
      everything to the right of the =

      From reviewing clipclass.otl (variables), clip basics, and Clip Language
      Introduction, what I've gathered on my own, I think I'm *mostly correct* on
      #1, and #2.

      #1. the normal ruling (for most other commands and things) on quotes does
      not apply to the ^!Set %variable%=
      So, when the following is used together in a line of code
      ^!Set %variable%
      then, for the most part, this is an (rare) exception to the general rule on
      the useage of quotes.

      #2. In other words, variables (used with ^!Set) Set is a command but since
      variable is involved, no quotes are used. And, also can string variables
      with a semi colon between each variable.

      What follows, the remainder of this post, (maybe?) optional or ignored.

      The following works

      ^!Set %fil%=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx
      ^!Info ^%fil%

      I tested the next (has quotes) and it did not work

      ^!Set "%fil%=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
      ^!Info ^%fil%

      Reviewed clipclass.otl 7LA lesson seven, variables

      Also I reviewed clip basics and the following too

      From Clip Language Introduction
      Regard commands:
      Parameters must be separated with a blank character; if a parameter contains
      a blank character it must be placed between double-quotes. Example of a
      command:
      ^!Close "File Name" SAVE

      Functions:
      Note that if a parameter contains a semicolon character it must be placed
      between double-quotes.

      Regards. Alan.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000
        Hi Alan,

        >#1. the normal ruling (for most other commands and things) on
        >quotes does not apply to the ^!Set %variable%= So, when the
        >following is used together in a line of code ^!Set %variable%
        >then, for the most part, this is an (rare) exception to the
        >general rule on the useage of quotes.

        There may be some controversy here on whether to use them or not.
        I rarely see anybody use them though. The only time I do is when
        it is the only way to make it work. As you saw in my last post,
        a number of quotes were needed to get the desired output.

        > #2. In other words, variables (used with ^!Set) Set is a
        > command but since variable is involved, no quotes are used.
        > And, also can string variables with a semi colon between each
        > variable.

        As long as they are wrapped with %Variable% and followed with the
        semi-colon as a general rule, quotes are not needed. It depends
        on what you will be doing with the contents of the variable. I
        usually add them at the point if needed.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Eb Guenther
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
          Hi Alan,

          >I tested the next (has quotes) and it did not work
          >
          >^!Set "%fil%=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
          >^!Info ^%fil%

          You got the quotes around the entire assignment, variable name
          and all ! You probably meant to place it only around the
          assigned value, like so:

          ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
          ^!Info ^%fil%

          THIS works too, assigning the quotes to the variable.

          Cheers,

          Eb
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
            Hi Eb,

            > ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"
            > THIS works too, assigning the quotes to the variable.

            that's what I was wondering originally posted. But guess I did not word my
            question as well as I could have.

            Yes, I tried it. It works for me too.

            Now I know that I previously had become confused by the =, wondering exactly
            where is each parameter of the set command (no space between %fil% and the
            hard coded path and the function)

            So, in reference to the case above, the issue for me had been: "How does
            the rule on the use of quotes apply when the entire line of code seems to
            run together and I'm unable to distinguish where each parameter of the
            command begins and ends"

            For purpose of clarity, just stated/reiterated what the issue. (Not meant
            as asking about quotes, I did not ask) :-)

            Jody gave me some methods and more insight. Eb gave me a method and more
            insight. Thanks. The issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

            Don't forget to

            havefun along theway. Regards. Alan.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
              Hi Alan and All,

              >> ^!Set %fil%="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\^$GetClipboard$.plx"

              >So, in reference to the case above, the issue for me had been:
              >"How does the rule on the use of quotes apply when the entire
              >line of code seems to run together and I'm unable to distinguish
              >where each parameter of the command begins and ends"

              I'm sorry I missed the quotes and glad Eb caught it. I know you
              did not ask, but I will answer. ;) You are correct that the
              equal sign is what separates the variable from its contents. "; "
              as in "end of contents; %Variable%" separates a string of
              variables on one line. (It appears Eric did some work on that in
              the latest beta because before it was "; %" all the way out to
              the percent sign, else the Clip Interpreter would see the semi-
              colon and space as the delimiter, so disregard what I said about
              it in a previous post.)

              Note: NoteTab shows the following syntax in Help, which read,
              under "Clip Language - Variables". There are no quotes used, nor
              does Eric use quotes in the default Libraries.

              ^!Set %VariableName%=Data
              ^!Set %V1%=Value1; %V2%=Value2; %V3%=Value3

              So, if you go with no quotes and it fails, pass the info on to
              bugs@... or ntb-NextRelease@....

              At this point in time, there might not be a constant rule about
              if quotes should or should not be used, but it gets better all
              the time -thanks Eric! It does appear from Help and Eric's
              Libraries that no quotes is the way we are headed. Almost all
              the time either way will work. There are a few very isolated
              cases where one or the other will not work and as I pointed out
              the other day we found a really rare case where a double and
              triple quote pair was needed. Personally, I go with no quotes as
              I mentioned, due to that is the way Eric does it and Help shows
              it - it is and has been the NoteTab standard format. Do it
              whichever way you want, but I suggest you stay true to yourself
              with it in that whichever route you choose always write your
              Clips like that for uniformity and don't blame me if they quit
              working someday with quotes. ;) whichever way you go if it fails
              at some point, try it the other way. Hopefully after the rewrite
              of version 5 we won't have the problem. Just for the record
              though the cases where it will fail one way or the other are
              extremely rare.

              The first three of the following are not correct.

              ^!Set Variable1=1 Variable2=2
              ^!Set Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4
              ^!Set Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6

              All these are correct, or perhaps better said, will work:

              ^!Set %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8
              ^!Set %Variable9%="Data9"; %Variable10%="Data10"
              ^!Set %Variable11%=Data 11; %Variable12%=Data 12
              ^!Set %Variable13%="Data 13"; %Variable14%="Data 14"

              The examples list above are demonstrated in this updated Clip.
              ^!Info is a long line till the end and ^!SetWizardTitle till
              ^!Set Variable1.

              <--- Copy below this line --->
              H=7LA Demo 7
              ; Last Updated 09-04-2000, Sojourner@..., jody
              ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";50)$http://www.sureword.com/ftp/clipclass.zip^$StrFill(" ";50)$~
              ^!Set Variable1=1 Variable2=2
              ^!Set Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4
              ^!Set Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6
              ^!Set %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8
              ^!Set %Variable9%="Data9"; %Variable10%="Data10"
              ^!Set %Variable11%=Data 11; %Variable12%=Data 12
              ^!Set %Variable13%="Data 13"; %Variable14%="Data 14"
              ^!Info [L]We set this incorrectly: Variable1=1 Variable2=2^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable1% | ^%Variable2%^p---^pWe set this incorrectly: Variable3 Data3; Variable4 Data4^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable3% | ^%Variable4%^p---^pWe set this incorrectly: Variable5=Data5; Variable6=Data6^p^pSo the result is a mess: ^%Variable5% | ^%Variable6%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable7%=Data7; %Variable8%=Data8^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable7% | ^%Variable8%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable9%=Data9; %Variable10%=Data10^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable9% | ^%Variable10%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable11%=Data11; %Variable12%=Data12^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable11% | ^%Variable12%^p---^pWe set this correctly: %Variable13%=Data 13; %Variable13%=Data 14^p^pThe result shows the contents of both variables: ^%Variable13% | ^%Variable14%^p

              <--- Copy above this line, right --->
              <--- click over a Library, and --->
              <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

              Happy Labor Day!