Re: [Clip] Clip bar library versus the current library

  • Eb Guenther
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hi Larry,

      > >>I want to run a clip from the Clipbar, and return the active
      > >>library in Clipbook window, and need this to work for any
      > >>library.
      ><...>
      > >^!Info ^$GetValue(Clipbook:DefaultLibrary)$ doesn't work because
      > >the setting doesn't get changed until shutdown. There might be
      > >another way, but I do not know the trick.
      >
      >Here is the trick. Place the clip below in any library and then place a
      >button to it on the clipbar and click on it with different libraries open.
      >
      >---------< start clip >---------
      >H="GetLibrary Name"
      >;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      >;08/31/2000, 05:20:58 PM
      >^!ProgIniSave
      >^!Info ^$GetValue(Clipbook:DefaultLibrary)$
      >^!ProgIniLoad
      >---------< end clip >-----------

      Thanks for your suggestion. It works, but has some side effects with
      special INI files.

      If I don't give the command an INI file name it seems to save to the
      start-up INI file, and without ^!ProgIniLoad the current INI file does not
      have the DefaultLibrary variable, and _with_ ^!ProgIniLoad it changes to
      the INI file it's loading.

      On the other hand, if I _do_ give it my INI file name (^$GetIniFile$), then
      ^!ProgIniSave changes my small 1 KB INI file, containing only the data I
      want it to hold, to a hard to handle 10 KB file, containing the whole
      NoteTab configuration.

      Am I making sense?

      So, I seem to be stuck with Jody's Keyboard magic ;) which also works.
      But thanks for the suggestion, Larry. I will keep it in mind for other uses.

      Regards,

      Eb
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
        Hi Jody,

        > >I want to run a clip from the Clipbar, and return the active
        > >library in Clipbook window, and need this to work for any
        > >library.

        Thanks for your suggestion. It works, and I will try it for a while.
        Though the ^!Keyboard command always has me concerned about keyboard
        conflicts :-(.

        Also see my post to Larry. There would seem to be a need for a better way
        to retrieve the current library name.

        One half-vast solution would be to add an "INI file" option for the
        ^$GetValue function. I.e. ^$GetValue([[file:]section:]key)$

        Better would be to provide a separate function to identify the default
        library in the clipbook, as opposed to one that returns the library a clip
        is located in. I.e. ^$GetClipbookLib$.

        Regards,

        Eb
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
          Hi Eb,

          At 01:07 PM 09/01/2000 -0400, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >>Here is the trick. Place the clip below in any library and then place a
          >>button to it on the clipbar and click on it with different libraries open.
          >>
          >>---------< start clip >---------
          >>H="GetLibrary Name"
          >>;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
          >>;08/31/2000, 05:20:58 PM
          >>^!ProgIniSave
          >>^!Info ^$GetValue(Clipbook:DefaultLibrary)$
          >>^!ProgIniLoad
          >>---------< end clip >-----------
          >
          >Thanks for your suggestion. It works, but has some side effects with
          >special INI files.
          >

          >If I don't give the command an INI file name it seems to save to the
          >start-up INI file, and without ^!ProgIniLoad the current INI file does not
          >have the DefaultLibrary variable, and _with_ ^!ProgIniLoad it changes to
          >the INI file it's loading.
          >
          >On the other hand, if I _do_ give it my INI file name (^$GetIniFile$), then
          >^!ProgIniSave changes my small 1 KB INI file, containing only the data I
          >want it to hold, to a hard to handle 10 KB file, containing the whole
          >NoteTab configuration.
          >
          >Am I making sense?

          You are not stuck with the keyboard command or at least I don't think so.
          The keyboard command sequence could actually be simpler than what I am
          suggesting but here goes.

          ^!SetIniFile
          ;without a file name this sets the default to Notepro.ini
          ^!ProgIniSave
          ^!Set %LibraryName%=$GetValue(Clipbook:DefaultLibrary)$
          ^!SetIniFile Small.ini
          ;switches the ini to the small one you want
          ^!SaveValue Clipbook:DefaultLibrary=^%LibraryName%
          ^!ProgIniLoad

          !SetIniFile changes all ini save and load commands to the ini files
          specified after it without further identification required by you. This
          will remain in effect through the clip execution until and unless you
          change it with another !SetIniFile command. The last two lines should save
          to and load information from your small ini file. ^!ProgIniSave is a
          general save of most if not all of NoteTab's settings to the currently
          defined ini file and you should not use it there for your purposes. You
          need to use ^!SaveValue instead which limits the saved information to that
          which you want saved and not all of or most of NoteTab's current settings.

          HTH

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
            Hi Eb

            >Thanks for your suggestion. It works, and I will try it for a
            >while. Though the ^!Keyboard command always has me concerned
            >about keyboard conflicts :-(.

            It normally works pretty good, just kind of flashy. ;) The View
            menu is a bit trickier. Delays are needed because of the Clipbar
            menu. Eric is real good about not changing the shortcuts also.

            >Also see my post to Larry.

            I did and after reading it and getting confused, I closed it for
            later, or is that Larry. ;)

            >One half-vast solution would be to add an "INI file" option for the
            >^$GetValue function. I.e. ^$GetValue([[file:]section:]key)$

            ^!SetIniFile FileName
            ^$GetValue(section:key)$

            It gets tricky when other ini files are involved. You need to
            get the current ini and save it in a variable then restore it
            after you do what you have to do. I've run into it a number of
            times with Clipbar Clips.

            >Better would be to provide a separate function to identify the
            >default library in the clipbook, as opposed to one that returns
            >the library a clip is located in. I.e. ^$GetClipbookLib$.

            Yes, or just make ^$GetLibraryName$ do that. If you are the one
            running the Clip you ought to know what Library it is in already.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • Eb Guenther
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
              Hi Jody,

              > >Better would be to provide a separate function to identify the
              > >default library in the clipbook, as opposed to one that returns
              > >the library a clip is located in. I.e. ^$GetClipbookLib$.
              >
              >Yes, or just make ^$GetLibraryName$ do that. If you are the one
              >running the Clip you ought to know what Library it is in already.

              But that was precisely the problem -- I didn't know which library was going
              to be default when the clipbar clip was being run. I needed to get the
              default library name, not clipbar.clb.

              Cheers,

              Eb
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
                Hi Eb,

                >> Yes, or just make ^$GetLibraryName$ do that. If you are the
                >> one running the Clip you ought to know what Library it is in
                >> already.
                >
                >But that was precisely the problem -- I didn't know which library
                >was going to be default when the clipbar clip was being run. I
                >needed to get the default library name, not clipbar.clb.

                I meant, you know which Library the Clipbar Clip is in or any
                Clip that you are running, so ^$GetLibraryName$ does not need to
                return the Library name of that Clip. Instead, it could return
                the name of the Library that is loaded in the Clipbook. If you
                use the ^!Clip or ^!FarClip command, you still know what clip is
                being run.

                I cannot think of any case where you would not know unless you
                purposely made some type of random picker to run a Clip from a
                list of Clip names. I use the time though to get a primitive
                random generator though in my SureWord Library activate a popup.
                I made it way back in v4.0 so I am sure by know I could use a
                better method, but why fix something that works, eh? :)

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
                  Hi Eb and Jody,

                  At 05:54 PM 09/01/2000 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Hi Jody,
                  >
                  >>Yes, or just make ^$GetLibraryName$ do that. If you are the one
                  >>running the Clip you ought to know what Library it is in already.
                  >
                  >But that was precisely the problem -- I didn't know which library was going
                  >to be default when the clipbar clip was being run. I needed to get the
                  >default library name, not clipbar.clb.

                  This is a bit tedious but if you have the will here is another way to be
                  sure you have the default library name retrieved by a clipbar clip. Add
                  the following clip to all of your clip libraries (yes, I said all - very
                  tedious isn't it?).

                  H="OnOpen"
                  ^!TextToFile "LibName.txt" ^$GetLibraryName$

                  Then place the following clipcode into the clip located on the clipbar that
                  you want to retrieve the current default library.

                  H="LibraryName"
                  ^!Info ^$GetFileText(LibName.txt)$

                  If you already have an Onopen clip in a library just add the above code in
                  "OnOpen" as the first line of that clip. Everytime you change libraries,
                  the new library that you open will replace the name in LibName.txt with its
                  own so when you run the "LibraryName" clip you will get the current default
                  name whether that library is open or not.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  larryt@...