[Clip] Re: Sorting clip

    Message 1 of 9 , May 21 10:37 AM
      Rod,

      I already have something made that will do what you want with a
      little modification and very fast also. It is in a new Library to
      be released, NoteSort, shortly as soon as I get a small bug out of a
      clip in it.

      Please send me a reply private eMail your log or a large enough
      section of it to work with and see if what you are asking for is
      correct below. Make any additions or changes you want.

      > Each line has fields separated by spaces or common strings,
      > providing data on date/time, host name, referring page etc. Now, I
      > would like to sort this file on a field which is not the first,...

      ARGH! Now ya wanna go and delay NoteSort's release. :)

      Is this what you are looking for:

      1. Sort lines in a certain string/field/column
      2. Sort lines according to all occurrences of a selection
      (probably the same as above?)
      3. Extract and sort all fields matching the selected text

      Options are usually the easy part when they are all related like
      this. Once the main clip is built it is usually just a matter of
      copy/paste and change a few things for a another option.

      > I've found a lot of Jody's clips extremely useful and even
      > downloaded the Word Web dictionary. That was a great tip thanks
      > Jody.

      Some people will say anything to get a clip built for them. :) I
      have a few more Libraries ready for release. Just trying to get a
      tiny bug out of NoteSort having to do with inserting a paragraph in
      the correct spot in a list already in order alphabetically. This
      ignernt hillbilly is having figure out which comes first: a, b, or c
      when inserting. And yes, I did make it to the 6th grade before
      dropping out of school. :) BTW, if I can somehow mangae to write
      these clips, I know you all can too. I think it is one of those
      thingies having to do with getting started and it will click in all
      the sudden. When I first saw the new code coming out I said - no
      way! Oh well, wasn't be the first time I was wrong and surely not
      the last.

      Happy NoteTabbin',
      Jody Adair

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
      http://www.notetab.com

    • Rod Davies
      Message 2 of 9 , May 21 5:58 PM
        Thanks Jody...

        >I already have something made that will do what you want with a
        >little modification and very fast also. It is in a new Library to
        >be released, NoteSort, shortly as soon as I get a small bug out of a
        >clip in it.

        We're all looking forward to it Im sure....

        BTW, if I can somehow mangae to write
        >these clips, I know you all can too. I think it is one of those
        >thingies having to do with getting started and it will click in all
        >the sudden. When I first saw the new code coming out I said - no
        >way! Oh well, wasn't be the first time I was wrong and surely not
        >the last.
        >
        >Happy NoteTabbin',
        >Jody Adair

        Well yes for one with no programing experience at all Im finding it easy at
        least to make simple clips. Any way that means i have more flexibility in
        my work and dont have to buy expensive programs that take up all my RAM and
        disk space to do 99% of things I dont want only to find they are inflexible
        in doing what I really need. Then the Web and internet changes so fast that
        these programs become out of date so fast anyway meaning expensive upgrades
        always in time and linvariably so in cost. Living in Malaysia, Thailand and
        Indonesia means buying software is a major investment with our exchange
        rates and salary levels.. So Note Tab is a great find. It will be worth
        the time to learn the NoteTab language Im sure..

        ....And yes, I did create a small program around 4 months ago to convert my
        nescape favourites into a text file which i could then easily template up
        to a Web page. Then I found you had already done it!

        Rod

        Orient Pacific Century
        Kuala Lumpur, Brisbane, San Francisco, Bangkok, Jakarta
        Orient Pacific Century http://www.orientpacific.com/
        Asia Pacific Management Forum http://www.apmforum.com/

      • Piotr Bienkowski
        Message 3 of 9 , May 23 12:40 AM
          Rod Davies wrote:

          > Thanks Jody...
          >

          > >I already have something made that will do what you want with a
          > >little modification and very fast also. It is in a new Library to
          > >be released, NoteSort, shortly as soon as I get a small bug out of a
          > >clip in it.
          >
          > We're all looking forward to it Im sure....
          > >
          > BTW, if I can somehow mangae to write
          > >these clips, I know you all can too. I think it is one of those
          > >thingies having to do with getting started and it will click in all
          > >the sudden. When I first saw the new code coming out I said - no
          > >way! Oh well, wasn't be the first time I was wrong and surely not
          > >the last.
          > >
          > >Happy NoteTabbin',
          > >Jody Adair
          >
          > Well yes for one with no programing experience at all Im finding it easy at
          > least to make simple clips. Any way that means i have more flexibility in
          > my work and dont have to buy expensive programs that take up all my RAM and
          > disk space to do 99% of things I dont want only to find they are inflexible
          > in doing what I really need. Then the Web and internet changes so fast that
          > these programs become out of date so fast anyway meaning expensive upgrades
          > always in time and linvariably so in cost. Living in Malaysia, Thailand and
          > Indonesia means buying software is a major investment with our exchange
          > rates and salary levels.. So Note Tab is a great find. It will be worth
          > the time to learn the NoteTab language Im sure..

          Exactly the same thing can be said of Poland. The M$ suite costs way above the
          minimum salary. I think Mr Gates encourages rather than fights piracy this way.

          OTOH, thanks to Eric Fookes for a rebate price for Poland!

          rgds

          Piotr BieĊ„kowski

        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24 12:09 PM
            Rod Davies wrote:
            > Well yes for one with no programing experience at all Im finding it easy at
            > least to make simple clips.

            Rob, just take a look at Jody's clips. He really has started as nearly
            complete clipprogrammers idiot ;o) and look where he is now.

            Nicole
            --
            Thousands of years ago the Egyptians worshipped cats
            as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 26 2:18 AM
              Hi Nicole.

              > Rob, just take a look at Jody's clips. He really has started
              > as nearly complete clipprogrammers idiot ;o) and look where he
              > is now.

              Yeppers, look where I am now - Advanced from idiot to clip makin'
              fool!-)

              H=Good NoteNite
              ; Boys and their toys...
              ^!Set %n%=0
              ^!SetHintInfo ^%Space%
              ^!StatusShow Good NoteNite
              ^!Delay 15

              :Loop1
              ^!StatusShow Happy NoteTabbin'
              ^!Delay 10
              ^!StatusShow
              ^!Delay 5
              ^!If ^%n% = "3" Skip_2
              ^!Inc %n%
              ^!Goto Loop1

              ^!StatusShow Good NoteNite
              ^!Delay 15

              :Loop2
              ^!StatusShow ^$GetDate(ddd, mmmm dd, yyyy - hh:nn:ss)$
              ^!Delay 1
              ^!If ^%n% = 50 Close
              ^!Inc %n%
              ^!Goto Loop2

              :Close
              ^!StatusClose

              Happy NoteTabbin',
              Jody Adair

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab
              NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
              http://www.notetab.com

            • Dennis Partridge
              Message 6 of 9 , May 26 3:23 PM
                Hi Everyone,

                It's been a while since I last posted. I am now working on various
                Genealogy clips that will interact with the web and individual genealogy
                files. I've run into a slight problem in one of the clips.

                Unfortunately when processing a clip which uses ^? it prompts that
                information first. This can be very difficult in a very interactive
                enviroment which my clips are. I need to be able to prompt in succession
                that I choose, regardless of whether it contains a ^? or not. The only
                solution that I can come up with is to create small clips of ^? and prompt
                for them using ^!Clip instead. Is there another workaround?

                For instance the following code:

                Edit Marriage Records
                ^!Set %find%=^?{Find What?=^%find%}
                ;Change default delimiter to a blank space
                ^!SetListDelimiter "|"
                ^!Set %whole%=^?[Whole Word?==Yes|No]
                ^!If "^%whole%" = "Yes" Yes
                ^!Set %C%=T
                ^!GoTo Find

                :Yes
                ^!Set %C%=C

                :Find
                ^!Open G:\gen\unknownmarriage.txt
                ^!Find "^%find%" IWS^%C%
                ^!IfError Error1
                ^!Select Line
                ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetLine$
                ^!Continue ^%Array%
                ^!Find "" TIWS

                :Error1
                ^!Continue Not found!
                ^!Close

                Dennis N. Partridge
                partridge@...

                The SurnameWeb
                http://www.surnameweb.org/
                Co-Founder and Team Leader

                The Partridge Nest (note new address!!!)
                http://www.partridgenest.com/
                Webmaster

              • Raymond Fitzgerald
                Message 7 of 9 , May 26 3:35 PM
                  Hi Dennis,

                  >Unfortunately when processing a clip which uses ^? it prompts that
                  information first.

                  All you should need to do is change your square brackets to curly. From
                  Help:

                  "NoteTab can show Clip Wizards at two different stages during the execution
                  of a Clip. When you define input fields using the "^?[...]" format, the
                  Wizard is displayed before any of the Clip instructions are
                  executed/evaluated. The Wizard is built from all such fields encountered in
                  the Clip. The second format uses curly braces instead of square brackets
                  "^?{...}". Before a Clip instruction is executed, NoteTab first checks if it
                  contains fields for the Clip Wizard. If it does, NoteTab collects all the
                  fields within the instruction and prompts the user with the resulting Clip
                  Wizard. This lets the user complete the instruction before it is executed."

                  Curly also works with ^!SetWizardTitle, ^!SetWizardLabel, and ^!IfCancel.

                  Cheers,
                  Ray Fitz

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26 3:49 PM
                    Hi Dennis,

                    >Is there another workaround?

                    Well, here's a question for a question - is this what you mean?
                    You'll have to put your info back in. In a line:

                    dog cat mouse

                    ...searching for dog

                    ...it will find dog, get the line then find dog, then cat, then
                    mouse and end.

                    Edit Marriage Records
                    ^!Set %Count%=^%Array0%
                    ^!Set %Index%=0

                    ^!Set %find%=^?{Find What?=^%find%}
                    ;Change default delimiter to a blank space
                    ^!SetListDelimiter "^%Space%"
                    ^!Set %whole%=Yes
                    ^!If "^%whole%" = "Yes" Yes
                    ^!Set %C%=T