Simple clip starts a Perl file

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2000
      Hi,
      The clip works for me. If anyone can use, here it is.

      I just began to tinker with Perl for the very first time ever. And I just
      wrote this clip which saves me bunches of (well at least some) typing
      whenever I run a .plx perl file. (the clip is designed to initiate the type
      of a perl file that, after it starts, it requests user input from the
      keyboard) (I dunno Java but if a Java file requests user input, maybe it
      could be altered to initiate a Java file)

      It's for OS of the Win NT sort of OS at this point. For Win 9x would just
      use path to command.com instead of cmd.exe

      Until I find if there is a (clip) method to (probably detect and then)
      change directories, the current status of the clip is that After the command
      console is opened, while it's open you must choose same source dir if run
      clip again. Otherwise (if need different source dir) must just close
      command console then run clip again.

      H="2KrunPerl"
      ;Alan Cummings 8-28-2000
      ;------------begin long line----------------
      ^!Set %Srcfldr%=^?{(H=10)(source) folder of Perl (.plx) file to run (end in
      backslash)==Browse|_c:\exmpl\|c:\exmpl\mystuf\}
      ;------------end long line----------------
      ^!IfSame ^%Srcfldr% Browse Next Else Skip
      ^!Set %Srcfldr%=^?{(T=D)Browse=}
      ^!ChDir ^%Srcfldr%
      ^!IfAppOpen "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" skip else next
      ^!cmd.exe
      ^!FocusApp "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe"
      ^!Delay 3
      ;------------begin long line----------------
      ^!Keyboard #perl ^?[(T=S)Name only of perl file to run=edit_this].plx# ENTER
      ;---------<end of clip<<

      Regards. Alan.
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2000
        --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, "Alan" <acummings@s...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > The clip works for me. If anyone can use, here it is.
        >
        > I just began to tinker with Perl for the very first time ever. And
        I just
        > wrote this clip which saves me bunches of (well at least some)
        typing
        > whenever I run a .plx perl file. (the clip is designed to initiate
        the type
        > of a perl file that, after it starts, it requests user input from
        the
        > keyboard) (I dunno Java but if a Java file requests user input,
        maybe it
        > could be altered to initiate a Java file)
        >
        > It's for OS of the Win NT sort of OS at this point. For Win 9x
        would just
        > use path to command.com instead of cmd.exe
        >
        > Until I find if there is a (clip) method to (probably detect and
        then)
        > change directories, the current status of the clip is that After
        the
        command
        > console is opened, while it's open you must choose same source dir
        if run
        > clip again. Otherwise (if need different source dir) must just
        close
        > command console then run clip again.

        <snippage>

        Greetings, Alan -

        I have been using a nearly identical clip on NT 4.0:

        H="Perl Console"
        ^!Set %pl2run%=^?[(T=O;F="Perl Scripts (*.pl)|*.pl")Open file]
        ^!IfAppOpen "D:\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe" skip else next
        ^!cmd.exe
        ^!FocusApp "D:\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe"
        ^!Delay 3
        ^!Keyboard #perl -w ^%pl2run%# ENTER

        When this is executed, the working directory is automagically set to
        the directory where the file is located. If it is a script I'm
        currently editing, the File Open dialogue begins in the correct
        directory.
        A neat unintended "feature" that NoteTab provides is that after
        selecting a file, your are presented with a confirm dialogue. If your
        perl script uses command-line arguments, you can type them in here,
        after the file name.

        Clippin' along,
        Craig