Re: [Clip] Need Help on Launching Programs

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
      Hi Pete,

      At 06:54 PM 08/14/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      >Hi,
      >
      >My first attempts at writing clips for launching applications worked
      >great until I wrote this clip:
      >
      >^!c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe
      >
      >When I tried to run this clip, I got an error message
      >reading "Application not found, unknown command, or command line too
      >long".
      >
      >Is the command line too long or do I have a different problem? - if
      >the length is the problem, what is the work around?

      Try placing it in quotes and see if that works. Also check to be sure that
      the file name and path are not misspelled.

      ^!"c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe"

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
        > >My first attempts at writing clips for launching applications worked
        > >great until I wrote this clip:
        > >
        > >^!c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe

        Another thought -- try deleting the spaces in the path, to read

        ^!c:\ProgramFiles\SeagateSoftware\BackupExec\bewin32.exe

        -- Carl
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
          It is doubtful that deleting the spaces will work. What you need to do is
          enclose the string in quotes. For example:

          ^!"C:\Program Files\Another Directory\yourprogram.exe" ^**

          You need to enclose the program path and name in quotes whenever the name
          includes spaces. It was *awfully* clever of Windows to default to "Program
          Files" for an installation directory, no?

          Scott

          On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Carl Swann wrote:

          > From: Carl Swann <cswann@...>
          > To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
          > Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:32:37 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [Clip] Need Help on Launching Programs
          >

          > > >My first attempts at writing clips for launching applications worked
          > > >great until I wrote this clip:
          > > >
          > > >^!c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe
          >
          > Another thought -- try deleting the spaces in the path, to read
          >
          > ^!c:\ProgramFiles\SeagateSoftware\BackupExec\bewin32.exe
          >
          > -- Carl

        • Ernest R. Peterson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
            --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

            > Try placing it in quotes and see if that works. Also check to be
            sure that
            > the file name and path are not misspelled.

            Hi Larry,

            Thanks for the reply. I tried the quotes and it didn't work. But
            your and Carl's comments got me trying other things and I finally
            found the problem.

            The Seagate Software can be started from two .exe files, either
            bewin32.exe, which I was using, or bestart.exe. In the Windows Start
            Menu, in Explorer, or in PowerDesk, either file will start the
            program. So I wrote a clip with the path to bestart.exe and the new
            clip worked fine. But, I still can't get NTP 4.82 to start it with
            bewin32.exe.

            I guess we can file this under "strange things happen".

            Thanks again for the help.

            Pete
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
              Hi Pete,

              > So I wrote a clip with the path to bestart.exe and the new clip
              > worked fine. But, I still can't get NTP 4.82 to start it with
              > bewin32.exe.

              >I guess we can file this under "strange things happen".

              Perhaps this will do it since it is a strange one :)

              ^!ChDir DirName
              ^!Open "..."

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
            • Ernest R. Peterson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
                --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Carl Swann <cswann@c...> wrote:

                > Another thought -- try deleting the spaces in the path, to read
                >
                > ^!c:\ProgramFiles\SeagateSoftware\BackupExec\bewin32.exe
                >
                > -- Carl

                Hi Carl,

                Thanks for the reply. I tried deleting the spaces but that did not
                work. As a newbie clip writer I never seem to know what's going on,
                but your and Larry's comment got me trying other things and I found
                the problem.

                There are two exe files in the Seagate Software that will start the
                program in the Start Menu or by double clicking on the file in
                Explorer, but both exe file will not start the program from NTP.
                Once I used the other exe file in a clip it worked fine.

                Once again, thanks for the help.

                Pete
              • Carl Swann
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
                  "Ernest R. Peterson" wrote:

                  > Hi Carl,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the reply. I tried deleting the spaces but that did not
                  > work. As a newbie clip writer I never seem to know what's going on,
                  > but your and Larry's comment got me trying other things and I found
                  > the problem.

                  Great! Thanks for the personal reply ;-)

                  NoteTab is one of the most flexible, utilitarian pieces of software
                  I've ever encountered. Several times a week, I'll find myself thinking
                  "I wonder if I can get NoteTab to [**fill in project**] for me."
                  Sometimes it can! The lists are great sources of help - there is a
                  ClipClass list that Jody (this is a guy Jody - Joseph - not a gal
                  Jody) has created. The download is a self-paced tutorial complete with
                  periodic quizzes. He has the link to it on his posts (usually); if
                  not, just ask him for it. Of course, the lists' contributors are
                  always on hand and quite helpful. Enjoy!

                  oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
                    Hi Ernest,

                    At 06:54 PM 08/14/2000 -0000, you wrote:
                    >^!c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe

                    You can also try:

                    !^^$Getshort(c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe)$

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    larryt@...
                  • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
                      Eric wrote:

                      >Furthermore, some programs expect to be started from within the directory
                      >where they are located, so you might need the following sequence to make
                      it
                      >work:

                      >^!ChDir c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\
                      >^!Shell "c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe"

                      >Hope this helps.

                      I am new to clips, though it seems to me from the two lines that Eric wrote
                      above that since the !ChDir puts you in the proper directory that
                      shortening the string on the second line would be just as effective (and
                      with less typing, for future use).

                      ^!Chdir c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\
                      ^!Shell "bewin32.exe"

                      Have a good day, all day long!

                      Regards,

                      Wayland Fowler
                      (281) 280-4446
                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
                        Hi Wayland

                        > above that since the !ChDir puts you in the proper directory that
                        > shortening the string on the second line would be just as effective (and
                        > with less typing, for future use).
                        >
                        > ^!Chdir c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\
                        > ^!Shell "bewin32.exe"

                        FWIW if anything of any significance or not:

                        Well, in the event *if* the above 2 lines don't work . . . then

                        If we were working strictly with DOS (and nothing else) then I be 100% ok
                        with the above. But with windows and some things run via clips, I
                        experience **sometimes** also the following is involved too.

                        Two separate and distinct things here: 1. Working directory 2. Path

                        The Chdir sets what dir is to be the "working" directory

                        On the other hand, the purpose of the 2nd line is to execute an executable.
                        In order for the system to find and execute the executable the "path" must
                        either be in the system's path statement OR (if not in sys path statement
                        THEN) MUST BE full path to file (inside the clip itself) as indicated in the
                        following line:

                        ^!Shell "c:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Backup Exec\bewin32.exe"

                        "path" (without the quotes) is a DOS command which can be issued from a DOS
                        prompt. it will tell you which directories are included in the path
                        statement for your system.

                        1. Working directory is one thing. 2. Path to an executable file is another
                        non-related (or at least it is indirectly related to the working directory)
                        thing.

                        Ntb clip getpath function may be an alterative to above stuff about path

                        Best regards. Alan.