Re: Newbie with a project (macro? simple?)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 6 1:05 PM
      Hi Jody,

      This did not work for me

      > ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

      I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

      Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input field but
      I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can live with it.

      The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
      substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows were
      getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't work for one
      vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular title bar has a
      question mark in it. Would comparing the question mark require
      something special? Testing a partial with a asterisk also wouldn't
      work. I tried assigning the title bar text to a variable and getting
      the clip to type it out. I used the result to determine what to test
      for, and it definitely has the question mark. When the application
      is running, the title bar is also formatted (yellow text in italics),
      but no special codes printed out when my clip typed out my variable.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 6 1:32 PM
        Hi Sheri,

        >> ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN
        >
        > I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

        If I remember correctly you had a Delay *before* the ^!Keyboard
        above. It might have appeared that the ")" was causing it to
        fail, but it may have been the delay. I do not see any reason
        where the ")" would make a difference. the following shortcuts
        will not be executed until after the #macro#.

        > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
        > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
        > live with it.

        ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
        switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
        things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
        NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
        OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
        amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
        recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
        in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
        to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
        amount of copies.

        > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
        > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
        > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
        > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
        > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
        > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
        > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.

        Send the full Titlebar name please.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6 2:27 PM
          Hi Jody,

          > > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
          > > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
          > > live with it.
          >
          > ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
          > switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
          > things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
          > NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
          > OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
          > amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
          > recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
          > in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
          > to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
          > amount of copies.

          FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the Catalog
          I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by displaying both
          programs simultaneous (not maximized), that didn't happen.

          > > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
          > > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
          > > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
          > > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
          > > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
          > > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
          > > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.
          >
          > Send the full Titlebar name please.

          The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
          italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My variable
          set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

          As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the Windows
          Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left and another
          on the Right with file detail. The two panes are untitled.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6 3:09 PM
            Hi Sheri,

            >> ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
            >> switching to NoteTab and back.

            > FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the
            > Catalog I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by
            > displaying both programs simultaneous (not maximized), that
            > didn't happen.

            OK, I understand now, but you still might want to use FocusApp to
            make sure once you fill in the field that the focus is indeed back
            on your edit field.

            You might want to copy the field in the Edit window of your app
            putting it into a variable and then use braces in your wizard with
            the variable in it so you can stay max'ed in both programs if that
            is the way you prefer it.

            You would get the focus in the edit window and then (if not already
            selected):

            ^!Keyboard Ctrl+A Ctrl+C ^!Set %Vari%=^$GetClipboard$ ^!Set
            %Vari2%=^?{Input=^%Vari%} ^!FocusApp ... ^!Keyboard ... >> Send the
            full Titlebar name please.
            > > The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
            > italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My >
            variable set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

            Try this:

            ^!FocusApp "Where*"
            ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-1

            or similar

            ^!FocusApp "Where*"
            ^!Delay 1
            ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2

            You might have to play around with it for awhile, but something on
            that line should work and once you find it then it should not err
            and the there will be no wasted delay time to speak of.

            > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
            > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
            > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
            > untitled.

            That might be a problem. ;)

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 7 6:15 PM
              Hi Jody,

              Just wanted to thank you again for all the help. Its working quite
              nicely now, and is considerably faster than before. I must have been
              lacking quotation marks when I tried focusing "Where*" in the loop
              before.

              I also added a

              ^!KeyboardDelay 0

              which helped, and got rid of the Keyboard typeout of my input field.
              Also enhanced the input field to include some multiple choices <g>

              Now if only I could get through all the records -- over 1000 of them!

              > > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
              > > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
              > > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
              > > untitled.
              >
              > That might be a problem. ;)

              That is the one place that the macro still occasionally fails,
              swapping panes with SHIFT-TAB, followed by a Delay. <g>

              I am very impressed with what I've learned of NoteTab. Reading the
              feature comparison, I noted that labels are excluded from the Light
              version. I imagine they would be pretty important for complex tasks,
              logical branching, etc.?

              Take care,
              Sheri
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 8 8:45 AM
                so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for us casual
                observers?

                ---
                Don Passenger
                Court Page: http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/~dpasseng/grdc
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 8 3:54 PM
                  --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
                  > so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for
                  us casual
                  > observers?

                  You really interested? <g> The keystrokes used are pretty special
                  purpose, but if you're following the discussion, I guess it could be
                  helpful. If is a work in progress though. -Sheri

                  :Start
                  ^!KeyboardDelay 0
                  ^!FocusApp "Search"
                  ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+T
                  ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2
                  ^!Delay 3
                  ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                  ^!Delay 3
                  ;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the left
                  and right panes)
                  ^!keyboard DOWN
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                  ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                  ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                  Next else Skip_-1
                  ^!FocusApp NoteTab*
                  ^!Delay 2
                  ^!Keyboard HOME
                  ^!FocusApp Learn*
                  ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Choose a value=NA|101|102|_201|205|210|320|400|400-
                  S|XXX}
                  ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                  ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                  Next else Skip_-1
                  ^!Keyboard ALT+C
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                  ^!Delay 3
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+F
                  ^!FocusApp "Search"
                  ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                  ^!ActivateApp
                  :GetTit
                  ^!Find \t R
                  ^!Keyboard Shift+Home
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
                  ^!Keyboard HOME DOWN RIGHT
                  ^!Skip Correct Title? ^$GetClipboard$
                  ^!Goto GetTit
                  ^!FocusApp "Search"
                  ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                  ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                  ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                  Next else Skip_-1
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+A
                  ^!Delay 2
                  ^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                  ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+O
                  ^!Delay 12
                  ^!Keyboard DOWN
                  ^!ActivateApp
                  ^!Goto Start
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 8 9:05 PM
                    Hi Sheri,

                    >^!KeyboardDelay 0

                    I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                    >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                    >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                    >^!Delay 3
                    >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                    >left
                    >and right panes)

                    It is still reading the other Titlebar then.

                    >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)

                    Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                    use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                    Jody with a "y" says, Good NoteNite! :)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 9 8:49 PM
                      Hi Jody,

                      > >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                      >
                      > I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                      The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                      > >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                      > >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                      > >^!Delay 3
                      > >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                      > >left
                      > >and right panes)
                      >
                      > It is still reading the other Titlebar then.
                      >
                      > >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                      >
                      > Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                      > use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                      ok, but it works ;)

                      I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to work
                      either.

                      Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                      enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                      find the option to show unprintable characters.

                      Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                      possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                      should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                      Thanks,
                      Sheri, with an "i" <g>
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 9 9:14 PM
                        Hi Sheri,

                        >> >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                        >>
                        >> I forgot what you said you used that for like that?
                        >
                        >The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                        I guess that is what Eric meant by "Set nnn to 0 for maximum
                        speed." in Help. ;) He might have a delay built in the command
                        already - I'll find out sometime.

                        >> >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                        >
                        >ok, but it works ;)

                        Yes, but you should still keep your quotes or not quotes even and
                        also the spaces:

                        ^!If "^%NewData%" <> "NA"
                        ^!If ^%NewData% <> NA

                        ^!If Integer1 <>= Integer2
                        ^!If "String1" <>= "String2"

                        >I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to
                        >work either.

                        Try ^$GetField(row:col)$ when in NoteTab. If it is from your
                        other program you might try copying the line and use something
                        like:

                        ^!Toolbar Paste New
                        ^!Set %Field%=^$GetField(1:col)$
                        ^!Close Discard

                        "Col" is not a character column, but a field column:

                        field1=column1 field2=column2 field3=column3

                        >Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                        >enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                        >find the option to show unprintable characters.

                        View | Nonprinting text (Shift+F12) or the Toolbar/Shortcut menu

                        (I checked this time to make sure I was right instead of going
                        from memory like the Perl/Number Lines thread <g> thanks Larry)

                        >Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                        >possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                        >should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                        I don't think you will have any problem installing over 4.81.
                        You might get lucky and reset the timer. <g>

                        >Sheri, with an "i" <g>

                        ;)